• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Eastcroft Garage, Coleshill Road Question

Paul D

master brummie
Hi,
does anybody here remember Eastcroft Garage in Coleshill Road, Sutton Coldfield in the late 1940`s. I need to know if the yard at the back had two rows of lock up garages for general public. Thanks, Paul

Hi Paul

I'm afraid I don't know Eastcroft Garage at all, I'm nor even sure of it's location, but if its the one next to the Kings Arms then this section of an OS map from the 60's shows what appears to be two rows of lock up garages that are accessed via a passage in between the garage and the pub.

Attachments

• coleshill rd.JPG
    coleshill rd.JPG
    159.1 KB · Views: 35
Phil, you are correct, the garage i am interested in is next to the Kings Arms. Interesting map details there. It does look right, Thanks.

A late reply but yes the garage did have 2 rows of garages for rent behind it. My father rented one for the family car as we lived in Victoria Road and there were no garages. Slight correction,the house on the corner owned by te Binks family had a garage in Upper Holland Road as did the house on the opposite corner next to us but they were the only ones.

Pipmk an Curly my apologies for not replying earlier. What years would you both be talking about?

1966-1970+ as I remember, when I needed his services, probably there for a few years more. Now I wrote above 'top RHS' - that would be on a map. In actual fact it was up the side of the petrol station and then 2nd right, down to the bottom and he was in the corner.

Was there a business around that area called Binks Carburetors back in the 40`s?
Not that I knew of and in the 50's as a young lad I wandered everywhere (especially where I shouldn't) It may be a coincidence that the man across the road was called Binks,a not common name. He was well to do, had a new Rover 90,110 every year and certainly could not imagine him with dirty hands,he looked like he had people to do that for him.

Back