• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Early Radio

As mentioned with pics in post#57 I built a single valve super regen radio and accidently discovered single sideband transmissions on 80metres. I used to listen to a group which included a ham radio guy call-sign G2DAF. He published a design for an advanced SSB receiver known as the G2DAF.

I decided to build it and finished it.

Hi oldMohawk,

Much respect to you and anyone else who built one of those
very sophisticated receivers (for the time).

That was a pretty advanced project.

Kind regards
Dave
G0ELJ

when HAM radios looked like a radios. not just a black boxes.
i build a heathkit and only gave it away a couple of yars ago still working.

Hi oldMohawk,

Much respect to you and anyone else who built one of those
very sophisticated receivers (for the time).

That was a pretty advanced project.

Kind regards
Dave
G0ELJ
Hi Dave, yes it was a major job and I soon realised I was near beyond my capability. I vaguely remember problems sourcing some crystals and I had to borrow some test equipment. It was reasonably easy building it on the chassis but testing and set up was very difficult and being just married I could not spare the necessary time.

I used to listen to G2DAF (Richard or Dick) talking on a net to a retired headmaster in St Bees Cumbria. I remember someone complaining that G2DAF has come on without announcing his call sign. He then announced it phonetically as Gaggle 2 daggle aggle faggle.

It was all a long time ago ... :)

Hi Dave, yes it was a major job and I soon realised I was near beyond my capability. I vaguely remember problems sourcing some crystals and I had to borrow some test equipment. It was reasonably easy building it on the chassis but testing and set up was very difficult and being just married I could not spare the necessary time.

I used to listen to G2DAF (Richard or Dick) talking on a net to a retired headmaster in St Bees Cumbria. I remember someone complaining that G2DAF has come on without announcing his call sign. He then announced it phonetically as Gaggle 2 daggle aggle faggle.

It was all a long time ago ... :)
prob the band police,there were a lot of them once phil

Back