• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Ear Nose and Throat Hospital

maggieuk

The Fairybrain of Brum
Looking through the posts of Birmingham Hospitals I cant see any mention of the old ENT hospital ..in 1962 i had my tonsils out there ..they didn't have a childrens ward and i was put on the womens ward..can anyone tell me where the hospital was I was 9 at the time and seem to remember it was close to the town centre

Hi Maggie: The ENT Hospital was on Great Charles Street. I had a sinus operation there in the early l950's. I can remember a children's ward since during my recovery I would go over there and play with the children. However, I was placed in a women's ward myself. I was a bit too old to be classed as a child and too young to come under the Women's category. I don't think they had any room for me in the Children's Ward anyway as I remember it was very small. I have so many memories of my stay there.
In many ways it was distressing since if you were classed as a child you could not receive visitors. I believe, at that time and prior, the thinking was that if your parents came to visit you that you would cause trouble when they left every day thus slowing down your recovery .This was awful at visiting times. I used to hide under the covers when people starting coming in to see their rellies/friends. I remember feeling very sad when I saw people bringing flowers and gifts to the other patients. I remember having ice cubes in my drinks for the first time as well as gargling with pink mouthwash. Playing with the other children was fun I remember. It was a old building even then but very clean and had actual fireplaces that burned coal with huge iron fireguards in the children's ward.

I had my tonsills and adenoids out there as a child but can't remember where it was but can see the building in my mind as if it was yesterday. I was scarred stiff and your mom was not allowed to take you to the ward. Jenny I do remember the open fires and when they took me in a cot to the theatre there was a fire with pots on presumbly for steralising the instruments. The good thing was they fed you loads of icecream after your operation. Jean.

Thanks so much Jennyann..I had forgotton about the visits but that bought back so many memories..one of the women took pity on me and when she was discharged she came in the next day with the biggest Easter egg and Chocolate box i ever saw..can still remember her now..Jean that was all they fed us.. that ice cream lol

I too had my had my tonsils out there ..they did have a children's ward, but it was very small as Jenny said and was also full when I was admitted so I was put on the women's ward. There were four ladies in there who had breathing problems and had to breath in hot steam of 'Balsam' twice a day and it really stank so my nose was always cleared too. The ward was also very small and I was squashed up in one corner close to a window that you couldn't see anything out of except a brick wall. That was about 1956 when I was also 9 years old. Jenny I remember all you say, but I never got to go and play with the other kids, because of my poor eyesight they thought I'd better stay where I was... The ladies were kind to me though and would share their goodies with me when no one was around... This was also my first launch into reading 'Grown up mags' Woman's Own and a couple of others... LOL

Maggie I had told this story once before among others, but so many of the older posts and threads have been removed over the last seven year since I joined on 1st Jan 2003 to make room for newer ones... that we 'Longer time members' sometimes forget just what we have posted until some one like you jogs our memories... I did copy a lot of my earlier posts and some of the answers made by other members, I still have some of them on my computer....

Last edited:
Wasn't the ENT hospital on the corner of Newhall Street and Edmund Street, I had my tonsils out in there in 1953, and there wasn't a children's ward, I was on a ward with what seemed a lot of old ladies, probably weren't, but to a seven year old, they appeared to be.

Trebor

My mom was a patient there for about 75 years,she was first admitted as a child with a mastoid,and remained a patient there all her life.When she was in there as a child,her pals from Brearley St.used to pinch fruit of the market and throw it through the open window to her.
Don't you just love their spirit.:):):)

Ray my brother was in the hospital as a lad to have a mastoid removed. I remembered after I posted the older children looking after me. Jean.

I had my tonsils out at the ENT, not long after I started work. While I was waiting for admittance I had to "paint" my tonsils with some iodine like liquid with a long bent brush, it was virtually impossible !
I remember that ward as if it was yesterday and some of the other patients with various ENT problems, but the one thing I remember most was hearing about the death of Buddy Holly while I was recovering from the op. I recently found a "get well soon" letter sent to me in hospital from a friend amongst some long forgotten paperwork.

Goffy

Could someone please tell me how I can obtain my medical records from the Birmingham ENT hospital going back to 1968. I desperately need an MRI scan on my shoulder but have been fobbed off by three hospitals as they are not sure if the replacement stapes I had are plastic or metal.

kateaud, check the link in my post (#7) on this previous THREAD if it was carried out before you reached the age of 25 years your records would have been destroyed.

Colin

Is this place still going, I was put on the waiting list aged about 10 at the time, I'm in my 70's now.
I'm still waiting, anyone live close enough to check on this for me please. :encouragement::loyal:

Yeah, I'm due to have my tonsils out when I'm nine.
Starting to sweat a bit now.
Mind you, I hear you get ice cream after the op, looking forward to that.

No ice cream nowadays, I hear it's crisps and such to scour the dross out.
That's what happened to granddaughter.

I had my tonsils out at the age of 29 but at what is now known as Heartlands. I had suffered diptheria when I was 4 years old and was in the Fever Hospital, EBH, for 17 weeks, I suffered years of ill health, tonsilitis, quinceys etc., and finally changed doctors who arranged a hospital appointment and subsequent operation. It was the best thing I ever did and I have never suffered throat problems since.

This hospital was opposite the Hall of Memory in a row of old buildings- Georgian ? - all long since gone. I had to go there when I was about 6 or 7 probably 1949/50. I have been deaf all my life and I had to see the consultant Mr Naylor Strong. The waiting room had long lines of brown varnished benches which you would shuffle along till you got to the front. The upshot of this visit was that I had to wear a hearing aid at school which consisted of an electronic box which had to be clipped the front of my clothing and a leather battery box with an shoulder strap. It was almost useless. The transistorised replacement a few years later was a slight improvement.
Can anyone else remember going to this hospital? Or seen Mr N.S. - from what I can remember it was almost a right of passage for children to go mainly for problems with tonsils. Also can anyone remember the row old buildings opposite the Hall of Memory?

Regards from Redruth

Arnold

Back