• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Ear cleansing.

G G Jean

Brummy Wench.
I remember years ago when someone had earache or very waxy ears the doctor would advise warm olive oil. Peter went to the doctors the other day for tests and while he was there he said he had a problem with his left ear. After examining it Dr Harris told him to put drops of cooking oil in and not to bother with the expensive over the counter products. Jean.

Jean, as a child my mother used to put hydro---peroxide in my ears to clear out wax, it would bubble up and the gunge would come out. I have had trouble hearing the TV lately so went to my doctor to ask him to check if I had any wax in my ears, but after examing me he said they were fine, I have now found the cause - don't laugh - but my son recently bought me a digital box and recorder ready for the switchover on the 7th of September, the TV is a Samsung and the box a Phillips, they are not compatible and we have to use both "hoofer doofers" to get the TV on and this tends to impair the sound quality, I have found if I use the Samsung one I get a better sound - daft isn't it? I'm hoping after Wednesday when Michael re-sets it things will be better. I do feel a fool.

I have had ear trouble from a child many nights spent in agony not a good part of my childhood. My doctor told me never to put anything in my ear smaller than my elbow....

Yer can,t beat a few drops of "Crisp n Dry" failing that a couple of amputations.lol Dek

Jean
I think that when you were told to put olive oil in your ears, there wasn't any other vegetable oil available. Frying was usually done in lard or dripping . Soem other vegetable oil waould ahve been just as good if available.
Sylvia
I used to haev hydrogen peroxide n my ears and my mother still asks formit if she feels her ears are blocked, but itr is no longer available routinely at the chemists, because it can be used by extremists to manufacture explosives.
Mike

Dek afraid it is going to be the good old sunflower oil. Sylvia and Mike I have heard of hydrogen peroxide being used that must have been awful. Wendy as a child I always had ear ache's and mom used to come into bed with me and hold a water bottle against my ear wrapped in a scarf. I once had a perforated ear drum and it was like a banger going off in my head then blood spurted out.

Mom always used Olive Oil & I carried on with my Lads, I still use Lard & Dripping for my cooking and Today I made a Rice Pudding from Pudding Rice and used Nutmeg to finish. The Lads loved it, no Tinned Rice in this house. Only use Oil in our Single Deep fryer for chips if the lads want them, price around £22 at Amazon got mine from LiDL £13

eating-24.gif

Last edited:
My dad reckoned he put some oil in his ears, to remove the coal dust, from the fish and chip shop. When he went deaf he got Docter Sudki to flush it out and out came four chips and a piece of plaice. I believed it for years. Regards, david.

When I was a child I constantly had ear problems. Always an abcess. My step mother used to put a piece on onion heated in front of the fire into my ear. This always burst the abcess, but by golly the pain was awful.

You would all get full marks from our ENT consultants, they still recommend warm olive oil and Jean you are right about nothing smaller than your elbow - especially not the dreaded cotton wool buds which just push the wax into a solid lump!!
Hydrogen peroxide in a dilute form is in one of the proprietary ear preparations, think it may be Otexand that fizzes when you put it in your ear - just goes to show the old things are often the best!
Sue

I am 68 and have never had a problem with wax in my ears but do suffer from Tinnitus and occasional attacks of vertigo. Dek

My dad used to pick the wax from his ears with the sharp end of a pin - i still shudder when I remember it. "Nothing smaller than your elbow" is a good idea.
Slightly warm Olive Oil is good for loosening wax, then viisit the Dr for it to be syringed out.

Mom used to warm the spoon over the gas and I used to worry in case the oil was too hot. I remember the gurgling sound in my ear once the oil went in. Pete is awaiting a phone call from the nurse to have his ear syringed.

My Doctor will not syringe ears anymore. The practice nurse told me she runs the water into her ears for a minute or 2 when she showers. Works for me.

My Doctor will not syringe ears anymore. The practice nurse told me she runs the water into her ears for a minute or 2 when she showers. Works for me.

This Is why I seldom go to the doctors. Being in the middle of an attack of Virtigo the doctor advised me to be careful when showering not to let to much water get into my ears as this can unbalance the ear drums.I often wonder if we have qualified people all singing from the same hymn sheet. Dek

I think doctors tend to differ about certain remedies Frothy. I remember years ago my older doctor wouldn't syringe ears either. When our dog had a problem with his ears the vet said it could have been water and the shampoo they use had clogged up his ears. Jean.

My Dad was partially deaf from childhood. He had scarlet fever as a child and spent time in the 'fever hospital' at Little Bromwich (round about 1912 I guess). While he was there the sister used to go from patient to patient cleaning their ears with a KNITTING NEEDLE! She perforated Dad's eardrum. No litigation in those days, he had to just grin and bear it and get on with life. In later life he told my sister how hard it was for him when he used to go to evening classes to pass his exams to be a gas fitter. Unless he got there early and got a seat at the front he couldn't hear what was going on. No one made allowances in those days it seems.

Years ago when I was underwater diving I burst an eardrum and totally lost my direction for up and down caused by lack of balance. Had to follow the bubbles to the surface. Strange feeling indeed. regards, David.

My Dad was partially deaf from childhood. He had scarlet fever as a child and spent time in the 'fever hospital' at Little Bromwich (round about 1912 I guess). While he was there the sister used to go from patient to patient cleaning their ears with a KNITTING NEEDLE! She perforated Dad's eardrum. No litigation in those days, he had to just grin and bear it and get on with life. In later life he told my sister how hard it was for him when he used to go to evening classes to pass his exams to be a gas fitter. Unless he got there early and got a seat at the front he couldn't hear what was going on. No one made allowances in those days it seems.

Seabird how awful for your Dad. Having suffered ear trouble I can only sympathise. You must have been very proud of him passing his exams with such difficulty. I am so glad in this case things have changed for the better. Although I don't agree with our 'claim' culture in cases like your father someone should be made accountable and allowances should be made and any help given. Dad's are precious aren't they.

Hi

Take my Dad regularly to Heartlands for de-waxing.
2 weeks prior he uses Olive Oil The hospital has a sucking
machine. From totally deaf with the use of a NHS hearing aid
which is very discreet his hearing is very good.
Up the NHS and the team at Heartlands

Mike Jenks

I looked at this thread ywsterday and have been trying to remember a song by Spike Jones and his city Slickers ... About Grannys fly soap ,one of the verses says something like .."THEY PUT GRANNYS FLY SOAP IN HIS EARS , AND HE HASNT HEARD A THING IN YEARS ".... does anyone else remember it ?? ....Tom

I overheard two ladies this morning discussing earache. One recommended "cod-liver oil", I'm sure she meant olive oil!
(It brought back dreadful memories of Nan's bottle, it had three fishes on the front, capsules are more convenient.)
rosie.

A refresh for this thread:

and while you are reading the forum the title of this song sounds like a great idea. :D

Several days of adding 2 or 3 drops of olive oil to the affected ear, twice or three times daily, followed by ear irrigation seems to be the recommended method used by our surgery. Warm water from a tank is pumped into the ear at a controlled rate. This flow rate can be increased and should loosen the wax so that it can easily be collected. It needs to be done by a nurse because there is a slight risk of damage to the ear drum is over-zealous flow rates or pressures are used. Dave.

My dad reckoned he put some oil in his ears, to remove the coal dust, from the fish and chip shop. When he went deaf he got Docter Sudki to flush it out and out came four chips and a piece of plaice. I believed it for years. Regards, david.

We used to see Dr Sudki...he must have been 100 when he retired !

Back