• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Eagle Kitchen Range and Grate Company

Paul B

proper brummie kid
Recently came across this old ad from 1907. To manufacture this type of installation it must have been a fairly large concern. Does anyone know of any photographs of the site?

Attachments

• 05CF0CED-19B1-4FFE-B514-C065D247CDC8.jpeg
    05CF0CED-19B1-4FFE-B514-C065D247CDC8.jpeg
    325.3 KB · Views: 42
Hi, does anyone have any information on this company.

I know the works was at the end of Catherine street on the canal and the concern was taken over by Joe Wright and ultimately Radiation

The thing that perplexed me is there is so little information on this company despite them being the premier manufacturer of cooking apparatus probably in the world.

Their ranges could be found in practically every royal palace and stately home and remain in many of them to this day.

Yet I can barely find a reference to them

I see on the map that they didn’t appear to occupy particularly large premises which I find interesting

would love to hear from anyone that has any information at all on this firm

From 1857 to 1880 the Eagle Foundry manufactured all the wall post boxes installed by the Post Office, many are still in use. The owners in 1857 were Smith & Hawkes who sold out to Bernard P Walker ca1872/3. I think it was Walker who incorporated the business as the Eagle Range & Foundry Co which became the Eagle Range & Grate Co after losing the Post Office contract in 1881.

They also made pillar boxes, notably the splendid 'fluted' design from 1856/7 - examples can been seen in use in Warwick, Malvern and, of course, Solihull.

An illustration of the foundry can be found online, when the proprietors were Dearman & Francis. I think this dates to 1895: https://www.superstock.com/asset/en...rmingham-william-whitmore-engineer/1895-25455

Here is the nameplate on one of the last of the company's post boxes:1686989996511.png

From 1857 to 1880 the Eagle Foundry manufactured all the wall post boxes installed by the Post Office, many are still in use. The owners in 1857 were Smith & Hawkes who sold out to Bernard P Walker ca1872/3. I think it was Walker who incorporated the business as the Eagle Range & Foundry Co which became the Eagle Range & Grate Co after losing the Post Office contract in 1881.

They also made pillar boxes, notably the splendid 'fluted' design from 1856/7 - examples can been seen in use in Warwick, Malvern and, of course, Solihull.

An illustration of the foundry can be found online, when the proprietors were Dearman & Francis. I think this dates to 1895: https://www.superstock.com/asset/en...rmingham-william-whitmore-engineer/1895-25455

Here is the nameplate on one of the last of the company's post boxes:View attachment 180979

Here is the nameplate on one of the last of the company's post boxes:View attachment 180979

1687715954839.jpeg
This post box is located at Malvern Central station

Back