• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

E57 Social Club

boro keith

knowlegable brummie
Does anyone have any detail on the history of this club I believe E57 was the name of the WW11 Fire Wardens for the area. It would be nice to know if this is correct who the land was brought off the founder members etc. Hope someone can help thanks Keith

Had it confirmed today by a current committee member that, it was started in 1946 and originally consisted of the two wooden huts that had been used by the wardens during the war. It was very basic with just a bar and snooker table.
She is going to talk to some members who may be able to help with more information.

Colin

Thanks Colin I feel that working mens clubs are really important to our social history but so few have their history recorded
Keith

Hi All,

One by one Working Mens Clubs are closing. They are suffering the same fate as public houses. This is because custom is dropping and losses are made rather that profits. The reasons are many but I think the main ones are that people are preferring to stay in on an evening and watch TV. If they need a drink they but it from the supermarket. It is sad also that many folk especially the older ones do not feel safe when out after dark

Old Boy

Keith, Have had some information regarding the club it was started in 1946 by a group of air-raid wardens who wished to retain the companionship they had found during the war, they purchased two huts from the ministry and erected them on a acre of land given to them, within the next 10 years the huts became un-suitable and the members decided to replace the huts with a new building, this was carried out by the members at a cost of £10,000 the building has since been extended again and remains today an active club
I have been given a copy of a newspaper report regarding the history of the club, this is a poor quality image but still just about readable.

Colin

Attachments

• E57.jpg
    E57.jpg
    883.7 KB · Views: 38
  • Appreciate
Reactions: FiW
Thank you Colin that as answered alot of questions and some of the names I can remember My father Len Shaw used to run the xmas diglem club and organize trips to London and Blackpool
Keith

l

Back