• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Dyson Hall

Big Gee

master brummie
Does anyone have any memories of the old Dyson Hall, which I think was in a street somewhere off the Lichfield Road? Was it Pugh Road?

My mother and father met there in about 1937 when they were both in an amateur Gilbert & Sullivan society that put on its shows there. I have photos of both of them in a production of HMS Pinafore. I think one of the leading lights was a George Bowley, who was also a verger at Aston Church at least into the 1950's. The name Dorothy Taylor also rings a faint bell in my mind.

If I recall, the place burned down some time in the 1960's.

Big Gee

Hi Big Gee: I don't know anymore about Dyson Hall other than it was a Mission Hall connected in some way to Aston Parish. There were a few Mission's in that area and Dyson Hall was built in 1897. I don't know anything about a fire, someone else might though.

Hi Gee
Dyson Hall Was In Park St Oppersite Victoria Rd Which Crossed The Lichfield Rd
And PughRd Was Off The Victoria Rd You Came Out Of Pugh Rd And Turned Left
On ToVictoria Rd And YouWas Walking Past The Salvavision Army Hut And Cross Over To Park St And There Was Dyson Hall And IRemember George As Well
Best Wishes Astonian ,

I have some amazing pictures of Dyson Hall, I am the present day captain of the 1st Birmingham Boys' Brigade, which used to meet there. It burnt down in May 1975.

It was a Mission Hall connected to Aston Parish church, the home of the 1st Birmingham Boys' Brigade. It was built in 1895 with a donation from the Rev Frank Dyson, hence the name. It burnt down through arson in May 1975.

Hi Aston
Many thanks for coming on and telling us where the hall got its name is there any chance you could put some pictures on here
As there is a lot of lads from the brigade would love to see it. Aston what year was you enrolled and when did you become the next captain
Would you have any of captain Roberts whom lived Albert rd

I have some amazing pictures of Dyson Hall, I am the present day captain of the 1st Birmingham Boys' Brigade, which used to meet there. It burnt down in May 1975.

hello aston bb would love to see those photos of the hall if possible..

lyn

Hi, sorry it's took me so long to come back to you. I will give it a go putting photos on here but not sure if I have the facility to scan them on. If not, anybody interested in seeing photos or history of the company can come down and see us at Aston Parish Church on a Monday evening, just let me know in advance. We are hoping to hold a get together for past and present members in the summer of next year so if there are ex members on here or their family, they are more than welcome to join us. I became a BB leader in 1988, I was originally in the 79th Company in Lozells. I joined the 1st in 2002 and became captain in 2004. I'm sure I have photos of Emmanual Roberts, if that's who you mean, I will have a look.

H i Guys does anybody recall the building of Dyson Hall park street off lichfield road aston
there was alot of shows put on there by the Thearters and gymnastics by the boys brigade
I beleive they was the birmingham 1 st company ran by mr Roberts of Albert road Aston
plus the scouts and girl guides out fit
best wishes Astonian,,

Hi viv
many thanks for bringing it to my Attention and yes its most a pitty they never materialised
my brothers would have gone crazy to have seen them
As i recall my two older brothers was both in the Ist company at Dyson Hall boys bridgade
ron was lead Drummer a long with terry Jarratt and the other brother was lead bugle along with raymond jarratt ,
Terry,s younger brother and john line was the mace swinger,
I hope i can be excused for saying thate word because i ant sure what that big stick they twist arond as they are marching
Can anybody tell me what it was please,
Also what i know was about the 1st company they went to a recording studio and recorde there marching band music
with the studio i think it was the old BBC STUDIOS ON BROAD STREET in those days
Possibly around 1953 They all had a copy of it and they brought it home it was on a sunday afternoon
they was there on the lunch time but back home by 4 oclock
the old man played it on the big massey radio gram and we had to listen to it
before tea , after tea it was back to dick barton and not one of eight little whipprer snappers could not open our mouths
because the old lady and the old man around the table with there hears all cocked and stained
not to miss a word they was saying but the week after i broke the radio glass the old man went barmy
because he could not listen to the next week episode of barton

It's very late coming, but here is a double picture from above of Dyson Hall taken in August 1952

Attachments

• Aston, Wainwright St-Park St 19520814.jpg
    Aston, Wainwright St-Park St 19520814.jpg
    500.1 KB · Views: 11
Back