• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Duty and Obligation.

NOTSHARP

master brummie
I never met my Paternal Grandfather, or knew anything about him until recently. He was never mentioned, that I can remember. My two older brothers were, likewise, in the dark.

A few years ago, I decided to try and delve into the family tree, and find out why. I found him, buried in France, he having died in 1917, during the First World War.

Not surprisingly perhaps, I started to push his line back, eventually, ( so far), to the mid 1600's. Providing that I have not branched off in the wrong direction, of course. It was three generations back from my Grandfather, that I came across a person of, what must have been, extraordinary strength of character.

My 4GF, was born in Hampshire, to a farmer, and one of, if I recall, four sons. Not being the eldest, he was never going to own the family farm. I guess that he headed up to Birmingham to try and earn his livelihood. There, he married a young woman named Sarah, and they had at least three children. At the age of 40, Sarah died. After a year, 4GF married again. (This did cause a hiccup in my research, as she was also named Sarah, a widow, with at least two children).

Life was hard then, for Sarah, I am sure, with so many children to look after, and even more so when 4GF died, only three months after their marriage. I obtained a copy of his death certificate, which was both shocking, and upsetting.

His death is recorded at Birmingham Workhouse, in November,1848, five days after a hernia operation, the cause of death being infection. I am assuming that he was at the Workhouse for medical treatment. Imagine having to undergo that operation, without anaesthetic, no antibiotics or antiseptics. He was buried, in a mass grave it would seem, in St.Phillips, Birmingham.

His widow, bless her heart, after a marriage of only three months, raised all of the children, on her own. She took in washing. I found her on several census records from 1851, and in the 1881 census, 66 years old, still listed as "Head of Household", and her profession as "Mangling Woman".

No help then. No free ride. If you did not work, you did not eat.

She died in 1885, 70 years old, and is buried in Witton Cemetery.

They don't make 'em like that any more.

Steve.

Steve.

They certainly don't make them like that any more Steve, and what a wonderful but sad story of the life of this lady.
Searching for members ancestors on this forum some of us have uncovered stories like this many times over and it never ceases to amaze me of the strength of character of people centuries ago.

Many people in this world look forward to be able to retire early, I had a gt/gt/grandfather working as a farm labourer in 1881 age 82, no choice, he lived with his daughter in law who was a widow with 5 little children.

Back