• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

During the war........

Lynda Harvey

Brummie Born and Bred
Looking at Alf's thread reminded me of my own experiences. I read on another forum about how the Channel Islanders capitulated without much resistance. When the second world war broke out Dad was one of the reserves, so was immediately called up. He didn't speak much about his experiences, but I do know that he helped train different troops both here and in Africa. I know one these groups were men from Guernsey who came over before the occupation, so when they talk about the Islanders, they are speaking about older men women and children. Because these men had no where to spend there leave. a good dozen of them spent time with my family, and they became very close. Dad kept in touch with one man in particular named Frank Houlbec, and Dad wrote to him every week after the war, and he used to send him the Blue Mail. Does that still exist?
Anyway. My experience was that from August 1946 after I was born, these Guernsey men returned the favour and invited us to their homes every year. Throughout my childhood, I spent two weeks enjoying their hospitality. They treated us like family and the Island was idylic. As they got older, Dad and Mom still continued holidaying there until it became too much for them. Sadly now they have all gone, but they have left behind lovely memories and many happy times.
Lynda:)

What a lovely story Lynda. Such firm friendships and wonderful times coming out of WW2 and continuing on. The photos are super too. Thanks for posting your special story about Guernsey. I have never visited but have heard it is indeed idyllic. Your holidays growing up and visiting your family's friends there must have been very special.

Hello Lynda, "I read on another forum about how the Channel Islanders capitulated without much resistance" Quote, it was decided by GB War Cabinet that the Channel Islands would be to difficult to defend and too many lives would lost because it was so close to the Occupied French coast and all Allied Troops were evacuated, the brave people of Jersey, Guernsey, Sark & the other small islands did every thing the could to resist the German Military Occupiers, a lot were deported to the mainland to concerntration camps and were badly treated. Len.

I always remember that they had French surnames, like LePage and LeMarchant, but they were very British and had an accent similar to the Cornish. When they said good bye it was 'cheery'
Just one more memory from chidhood was the milkman, which I am sure has gone now, but he would come down the Vale Road with his horse and cart shouting 'Milko' and the ladies including my Aunty Win would go out with a large jug which he would fill from an urn and she would come back with it full of creamy guernsey milk for our cereal. Ooh. I can taste it now.
Lynda:)

Hi Lynda, Link to war time Guernsey. Len. [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-PQM2PuOiM"]YouTube- Guernsey Occupation with wartime music[/ame]

Back