• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Dunn's Fruit Store, Park Lane, Aston

Ann Shear

proper brummie kid
This was situated at 142a Park Lane - opposite Parliament Street and was originally bought by my great grandparents for my Grandad when he was 21 (which would have been in about 1899 I think!) The lived in the corner shop opposite - Parliament Street/Park Lane though I don't remember either of them as they died way before I was born. I have a picture though of Great Grandma Mariah Dunn with son Tom (great uncle Tom) and a baby though have no idea who that is, standing on step of the shop. The shop was run by my grandad until he went to war for WWI (not sure who ran it while he was away but it was family) and in 1918 he returned and married my Grandmother - Edith Turner . He was 40 then. The shop remained with them and their 3 surviving daughters (one died of diptheria) all through WWII until they retired to a house in Erdington, when it was passed on to my Mom to run. I was about 5 I think when we moved in there having previously lived in Upper Webster Street which I only have very hazy memories of!
There were originally 2 shops and the one next door was run as a fish and chip shop around the time of WWII by - I think - Mrs Meek or Mrs Mears?? Not sure but the shop was sold to my grandparents who extended the shop and my Mom was a florist and used that side when we moved in to sell flowers and do wreaths and bridal bouquets and such like.

Before it was a fruit and veg shop it was at one time called The Shakespeare Inn and had cellars beneath which were fortified in WWII and acted as the air raid shelter for quite a few. I can remember going down there and seeing the old metal bunks still there and the brick standing for the barrels. Family verbal history says that in the attic they found 2 busts of William S and Anne Hathaway on long wooden beams that used to be let into the chimney but Joey Turner who was by all accounts a bit of a lad broke their noses off! They were disposed of well before I was born so sadly have no further knowledge of them. The Inn though was apparently set into the wall of Aston Park which ran down Park Lane. It was said that a bit of the wall up by the coal yard was part of the original park wall but that may be apocryphal.

All I have is a very small picture of part of the window display in the shop but I will try to scan it and post here. I remember the shop being open even on Christmas day so that people could come and get potatoes for christmas dinner! Happy days of helping in the shop - I can still gather spuds in the supermarket and tell you how much they weigh ;) And find the biggest egg in a large tray - a skill taught me by my Grandad though I still don't quite know how I do it!

There was a big gate opening to the side of the shops which dated back to the heavy horse dreys and was brilliant for drying washing on wet days. It all seems huge in my memory but I was only young so it probably wasn't that big in reality. We had a big blue brick paved yard and outside privvy (always occupied by big spiders so I avoided!) and a stable area up the top with drains etc as Grandad had a horse and cart to get to the wholesale market and back, No deliveries in those days!

Sadly it ended when the area was bought by compulsory purchase for redevelopment although the shop was rented for a short time after we moved in the 60's to a pet shop. I have seen a picture of the pet shop somewhere but can't remember where now.

We always supplied Burlington St School - both Junior and Infant - with their big Christmas trees and my Dad used to carry them down on his shoulder to the school. We always sent flowers for the halls every week too.

Later on my aunt bought the cooked meat shop over the road next to the little grocers. Bit further up was Old Man Jones's fish and chip shop and next door was his daughter's wool shop - her son Keith was in my class at school and is on the school photos for Burlington Street.

Loads of family memories from Mum and Aunts (now sadly all deceased) from the war - like fetching water from the HP at Aston Cross in the tin bath in the war. The wonderful library at Aston Cross where I read all the childrens section and was allowed adult tickets when I was about 10. Red brick and gorgeous.

I do have some family pics and history but mostly of the Turners / Hinks (grandmother's side of the family) and from the school as we all went there from my grandmother and great uncles and aunts up to when we moved away in the 60's.

Will try to put pics and more info into the school thread (though not sure where as there seems to be a lot of them!)

Any memories of the shop anyone has would be wonderful!

Last edited:
Hi Ann. A lovely record of memories and photos. Hopefully there are members out there who remember the shop.

I've had a look at the various Burlington Street school threads and have brought them all together. So if you want to post about the Burlington schools the one thread is now here https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/for...burlington-st-junior-infants-school.49/page-5

Thanks for pointing that out Ann. It helps us moderators in our work to tidy up the forum.

Viv.

Ann, l remember all the stores you mentioned grocery shop and the fish and chip shop l remember having tupenny worth of chips with lots of scratchings....the meat shop across the road made the best faggets and peas , Friday lunch time mom would send me up there with a jug and about 5.oopm l would go and pick up the jug full of piping hot faggets and peas...oh! happy days....Brenda

hi ann what a smashing post:)...thanks for sharing your memories with us..i have deleted the double post of the shop window and am reposting it for you the right way up...

lyn

dunns.jpg

Last edited:
Hello Ann, I remember your family's shop very well, I was often sent errands there by my mother. The fish shop next door was run by Mrs. Morris and was painted dark green, but we preferred Jones' . In my day the shop on the corner of Parliament Street/Park Lane was run by Mr. James you could buy anything there.

The shop that Brenda referred to was Whittakers and I also was sent to join the queue for faggots and peas, I personally didn't eat them , but the rest of the family did.

I lived in Aston until 1967 and remember the pet shop we bought a budgie from there when my son was a little boy. Lovely memories Ann - thank you.

Oh yes! My brother used to take me over to James' to spend my pocket money each week! Couldn't remember the name. I remember them retiring though and the shop taken over by someone else.
I don't remember the fish shop at all I am afraid.
Whittakers must have been the shop my Aunt Jean bought I suppose in about the late 1950's - she did home made faggots and peas every week too and they were astonishingly popular though I never cared for them myself. In school holidays when I was older I was roped in to help when she was busy! I loved working the big bacon slicer. That building was really interesting too - it was formerly the old "lock up" and there was an entrance from there to the old cells which ran under the back to backs behind it. I was never allowed to go down but used to peer down the steps longingly! I often wonder what they found down there when they demolished the street or if they ever did find that "secret tunnel" from Aston Hall to The Retreat !!

And finally thanks to the great moderators for their help in tidying the thread up and sorting out my photos :)

Reference the Lock up is was behind the shops and over the wall from Newton's yard the building had no windows it was all ways known to us as the lock up but never accessed, The back of the lock was in the yard behind Johnny Sheppards house I did have a photograph of the wall will look it out. The Shakespeare pub story I have heard before and the wooden beams, the wall would have been the called Park Wall Lane prior to just Park Lane.
We often played behind the shops as there was two rows of houses up there I did know a girl who live there but memory now faded of that time LOL

johnsmom.jpg

That's the wall of the lock up back of the photograph behind my Mom and Dolly Sheppard as you can see no windows

thats great info john and a lovely photo as well...i take it thats your mom on the left ?? as i can see the likeness...hope i am right lol...when i first read about the "LOCK UP" i thought it was something to do with a police station:D

lyn

yes Lyn you got it right Dolly Sheppard was my long time friend Johnny Sheppard of long standing (75 years ) and still very good friends
Dolly lived at 9 Parliament street, the photograph was taken in the yard 1/15 Parliament street circa 1950's

glad i got your mom right john...once again lovely photos where would we be without them...i am sure ann will get back to you re her story as soon as she spots your post...ps just had another look at my story and photos that is on your web site..:)

lyn

In case you were wondering David is my brother and still lives in Spain .... He got a few dates mixed up though as I was still living in Park Lane when I started at Saltley Grammar in 1962. We didn't move out until about 1964 or 5 when my parents were divorced and the shop was taken for redevelopment. The pet shop then took over and installed - so I was told - a large fish pool where the raised garden used to be.
Such great photos though - brought a lot of memories back!

I remember Burton's over the road where I used to go for my weekly comics and to fetch cigarettes for Mum and Dad - and the bike shop next door. Almost opposite them was the shoe repairers. When my mum and her sisters were young their best friend was Mabel Minty. The Minty family - of Pop (I remember him well but not his wife ...), Billy who was in the Navy, Mabel, Dolly and Mary. Mary married and became a "Robothan" but Bill and Mabel never did, remaining with their Dad who eventually retired and moved to a cottage out in Sutton Coldfield where Bill used to splice ropes on an commission basis as he was so good at it! They remained close friends of the family for years and I visited them out in Sutton Coldfield several times. Pop Minty made Mum and her sisters' gas mask cases with a large thick leather bottom so they could thump anyone they needed to in the blackout! Mum always reckoned it would kill anyone if you hit them with it it was so heavy.

Also the offy up the lane just past Jordan's bomb peck where we used to go for crisps with the little blue screwpack of salt.

I am a bit more cautious than Dave about the Shakespeare Inn "brewhouse" as what we all called the brewhouse was in fact just laundry coppers and I gather that brewhouse is a generic term for such buildings. Below is a picture of my Pop (grandfather Charles) holding me I think judging by his age in the picture - in the garden of the shop which was raised up from the rest of the yard. The roof of the outside privvy can just be seen behind the trellis - and the stable was further back than that.

As for the lock up I know there were stairs down from the side of the fireplace in the back room of the shop because i remember the door to them and looking down (forbidden but ..... ) How far they went I dont know though although I am not sure about whether the back to backs had cellars? Anyone remember them there? [Edited to add: there was also a big trapdoor in the garage part of the shop with steps down - I was told it was so the prisoners could be taken straight down to the cells from the vehicle. Just remembered that bit!]

upload_2017-2-25_19-7-21.jpegupload_2017-2-25_19-7-21.jpeg

Last edited:
Would like to put Ann Shears story with David Shears on my website if she gives me permission would tie in well having both story's
You are very welcome to John - the more I read the more I remember so - watch this space as they say! He is 8 years my senior so our combined memories cover a fair amount of ground although he was married and in london before our parents divorced and we moved away from the shop.

Robbo's!! Yes - I was always fascinated by the big teapot in the window - always so mysterious as you couldn't see inside the place from the outside.

A bit of Dunn family history - not researched very far back but all stayed in and around Aston

Great grandfather Robert Dunn
Great grandmother Mariah nee Delves

Had 5 sons but no daughters

Charles Henry Dunn - (Grandfather and owner of Dunn's Fruit Stores) - married in 1918 - he was 40 and she was 20 years old
Edith Turner

They had 4 daughters

Edna Edith - unmarried
Joan (died at age of about 5 from diptheria)
Joyce Mary (my Mum)
Jean Winifred - Married Cyril Cheffins - no children

Thomas Dunn
Don't know who he married but they had 2 children
Tommy
Myra

Frank Dunn Married to
Nellie nee King
No children

Arthur Dunn
No information

Robert Dunn married
Elsie nee Duckworth
Had 2 boys
Robert (known as Bobby) killed in Italy in 1944
Stanley - died in the 1990s we think

If anyone can fill in any blanks that would be excellent but it is a long time ago now ...

Am sorting some stuff about my grandmothers family out too ... probably better in the family thread though cos it gets complex. My bro has much more but he seems not to be a member now - he is not well so that may be the reason

I came across this thread the other day (I don't know how I missed it back in 2017), this area fascinates me as I lived just 50 yards from Dunn's in Parliament Street.
I had never heard of the Shakespeare Inn so I decided to do some research.
On the 1871 Census I found 'Shakespeare Place' but of course no idea where this was because there were no house numbers shown. Going to the 1881 census (with house numbers) and comparing residents to those in 1871 indicated just 2 names but very good correlation.
It therefore appears that Shakespeare Place was in fact Court 32 situated behind Dunn's Fruit Shop and so it makes sense that the pub would have been called Shakespeare Inn.
In addition in 1881 census Henry M White at No. 144 is listed as a butcher & publican but this could just be a coincidence.

Attachments

• park-lane-shakespeare-place.jpg
    park-lane-shakespeare-place.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 5
  • park-lane-ct32.jpg
    park-lane-ct32.jpg
    587.2 KB · Views: 6
When Dunn's closed down it was reopened as a pet shop. 142A Park Lane, my sister almost lived in that shop, animal mad she was. Ray Griffith photo.

Attachments

• Park%20Lane%20Pet%20shop.jpg
    Park%20Lane%20Pet%20shop.jpg
    351 KB · Views: 9
Back