• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Dunlop

That might be, perfect spot for it, no expert but looks a little small. Just remembered there is another winding hole just past the Tyburn House pub which is only a 1 mile round trip.

Anyone have any ideas about post 152 and what it is?

Yes that's it you can see it and the map confirms the same location. I knew there had to be one around there.

The marker posts possibly refer to mains electricity and gas supplies. Dunlop got its water, I understand from the River Tame. Before the days of nationalisation maybe the DR Co. plate was a water marker. It looks old enough to be something like that, remains unpainted so presumably of not current purpose and it is interesting that it is still there.

There does seem to be other utility markers there now, but the the intials are strangely similar to the Dunlop name.

There is an aerial image of what that site looks like today and some other information about it in the Brickworks thread.

Land marker, 'this belongs too' or entrance sign. Is it by the West/East drive entrance?

I'm amazed it's still there when the rest has gone. That concrete and tarmac are newer, so workers have worked around it at some point.
I did try to remove it but it was absolutely solid in the ground and it wouldn't budge :(

Hi,
My great nan worked in Dunlop rubber factory around 1916. Her name was Lillian Turner and was 15 when she worked there.
She lived in Aston, looking to find anyone who may have heard her name told by family members or may know anyone who knew her or worked with her

Dunlop purchased the Erdington factory site in 1916. They previously had the Para Mills and the Manor Mills at Aston. It is more likely that the lady worked at one of those establishments. Work then would have been concentrated on the war effort,

My first job was in the Technical Dept at Fort Dunlop in 1958. It was very boring for a 16 year old recording tyre failures for all the overseas factories, but essential in order to immediately stop production if a fault was spotted in the early stages. Excellent company which gave me part time day release education to enable me to get qualifications to move to chosen career later. I was also given a pair of Dunlop no. 2 cycle racing tubular tyres, allegedly to test, but on-one ever asked me for a report. Some ex Technical Dept employees used to meet for lunch four times a year pre Covid.

Last edited:
I am researching Birmingham's Works sports clubs and trying to locate where the archive of these Dunlop in house magazines are held. Help please! Does anyone own any?
Many thanks, Jean
Hi my dad and mom used two run the club from 1976 two 1981 bunny cross Dunlop’s club we loved it as kids so fun times

Does anyone know if there was a fishing club st Dunlop between the wars? My grandfather won prizes for fishing but not sure if he did this through work. Thanks

Back