• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Dunlop

I was long gone here to Canada by then, in 1974. I worked at Presssed Steel Fisher British Leyland on Kingsbury Road as an engineering apprentice '68-'71 in the building right across from Dunlop and the Valor. I believe the apprentice building was on the former site of the Ashold Farm. My wife to be, lived with her family in Sorel House on Tyburn Road.

A little of Wheeler's history, as an ex-employee and family friend.

Wheelers later moved to the old location of Stockland Coaches on Short Heath Road and were bought out in 2018 by Huws Gray https://buildersmerchantsjournal.net/huws-gray-makes-big-impact-in-birmingham/

Here's a link to the painted signage on the house adjacent to the Hampton Road yard, above the cement and plaster shed.
That painted sign brings back fond memories, from times when it was much brighter on the wall.

Next door closer to Slade Road, was The Don Trimming Company http://www.donhoods.com/about.htm
On occasion, we'd give him a hand to lay and correctly position a vinyl top on a steel car roof, which were all the rage in those days.

Wheelers was a small family operated business mostly with a crew of relatives and friends, that had been started back around 1924. From distant recall, which may not be correct, I believe that Mr. Wheeler had also been named Bernard, so Bernard Bromley (RIP) became known as "Bunny" or "Bun" for short. That's what I was told many years ago.

Bunny married Wheeler's daughter and worked the family business. He was joined by their sons Roger, Jimmy, plus Jimmy's girlfriend Lynn, who became Jimmy's wife and also worked in the business at both locations.

We all spent many long nights together in the pubs and clubs in those days after work. I went to school at Marsh Hill Boy's Tech in Hampon Road with Jimmy, who was I think one year above. Employees were treated like family, fed and "watered".

With Dave Ray, Ray Bishop, Ken Wood and a couple of other employees, Wheelers was a great place to work with wonderful character people. There was a bonus in our pay packet every week and extra for the pub! Thanks Bun.

Sadly, it's another familiar business name to Erdington residents is gone, but not forgotten!
Great piece of family history!

Agreed Richard. Sometimes, we have to venture down those paths, to stir the memories and recoup historical information of possible importance or value to others.

I was long gone here to Canada by then, in 1974. I worked at Presssed Steel Fisher British Leyland on Kingsbury Road as an engineering apprentice '68-'71 in the building right across from Dunlop and the Valor. I believe the apprentice building was on the former site of the Ashold Farm. My wife to be, lived with her family in Sorel House on Tyburn Road.

A little of Wheeler's history, as an ex-employee and family friend.

Wheelers later moved to the old location of Stockland Coaches on Short Heath Road and were bought out in 2018 by Huws Gray https://buildersmerchantsjournal.net/huws-gray-makes-big-impact-in-birmingham/

Here's a link to the painted signage on the house adjacent to the Hampton Road yard, above the cement and plaster shed.
That painted sign brings back fond memories, from times when it was much brighter on the wall.

Next door closer to Slade Road, was The Don Trimming Company http://www.donhoods.com/about.htm
On occasion, we'd give him a hand to lay and correctly position a vinyl top on a steel car roof, which were all the rage in those days.

Wheelers was a small family operated business mostly with a crew of relatives and friends, that had been started back around 1924. From distant recall, which may not be correct, I believe that Mr. Wheeler had also been named Bernard, so Bernard Bromley (RIP) became known as "Bunny" or "Bun" for short. That's what I was told many years ago.

Bunny married Wheeler's daughter and worked the family business. He was joined by their sons Roger, Jimmy, plus Jimmy's girlfriend Lynn, who became Jimmy's wife and also worked in the business at both locations.

We all spent many long nights together in the pubs and clubs in those days after work. I went to school at Marsh Hill Boy's Tech in Hampon Road with Jimmy, who was I think one year above. Employees were treated like family, fed and "watered".

With Dave Ray, Ray Bishop, Ken Wood and a couple of other employees, Wheelers was a great place to work with wonderful character people. There was a bonus in our pay packet every week and extra for the pub! Thanks Bun.

Sadly, it's another familiar business name to Erdington residents is gone, but not forgotten!
Nice one Martin.

Wheelers were a proper builders yard that stocked everything and also knew the building trade inside out. I can recall the old guy in the glass cutting shop. They also had a curcular saw and planer in the yard.

I thought Wheelers moved to Stubbings' yard on Shortheath Road behind the garage.

Nice one Martin.

Wheelers were a proper builders yard that stocked everything and also knew the building trade inside out. I can recall the old guy in the glass cutting shop. They also had a curcular saw and planer in the yard.

I thought Wheelers moved to Stubbings' yard on Shortheath Road behind the garage.
I remember Stubbins yard being there. I think but could be wrong in that it was down the alley at the side of the Stockland Coaches property. The garage forecourt at Short Heath Road level originally had pumps and the showroom building. Down the ramp to the right of the showroom at the back underneath the showroom, was the service shop.

I know this because our neighbour across the road originally owned the building. The gable end over the showroom had his name, Alf Cadby and Sons. Alfie Junior was the oldest, while Paul and I played together and sometimes went down the garage. Stubbins was already there, with their dark blue trucks. Further along past the masonettes, Frank King's Coal Yard was directly across from Glendon Road where I lived. When King's closed and the little cul-de-sac was developed into housing.

The "old guy" in the glass shop at Hampton Road was "Bunny" Bromley, white haired, red faced and always a pencil behind his ear! I learned glass cutting from him, including cutting round holes for window ventilators, which cost 10 shillings to cut out. We were all armed with folding rules, pencils and a glass cutter. I still use my folding rule to this day. It's in pretty good shape for about 56 years old! It works great for setting up accurate cuts on my table saw at home.

In the mill we had a large table saw and an over/under planer that came from wartime fire salvage at GE in Witton I think. I made lots of window sills from keruing on that planer which was very dark and hard.

We ran the lumber through the planer under the table to get the thickness and then over the top to add rebates and angle the top for rain run off. Back over to the table saw then to cut a drip groove underneath!

To run long lengths of lumber through the circular saw, we used to have to carry it on our shoulders down into the Bromley's back yard, turn around and feed it in through the open window!

Up top in the main yard we had another smaller table saw and a cross cut saw with a long bench. Dave Ray's carpentry shop was just behind, with an ancient but wonderful mortice and tenon machine.

Wheelers was a household name for sure!
The Don Trimming Company http://www.donhoods.com/about.htm Must have been the place where i had my hood made for my Austin Healey Sprite in 1970

Attachments

• Brass tipped folding rule.JPG
    Brass tipped folding rule.JPG
    172.1 KB · Views: 2
  • Rule 2.JPG
    Rule 2.JPG
    240.2 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
I remember Stubbins yard being there. I think but could be wrong in that it was down the alley at the side of the Stockland Coaches property. The garage forecourt at Short Heath Road level originally had pumps and the showroom building. Down the ramp to the right of the showroom at the back underneath the showroom, was the service shop.

I know this because our neighbour across the road originally owned the building. The gable end over the showroom had his name, Alf Cadby and Sons. Alfie Junior was the oldest, while Paul and I played together and sometimes went down the garage. Stubbins was already there, with their dark blue trucks. Further along past the masonettes, Frank King's Coal Yard was directly across from Glendon Road where I lived. When King's closed and the little cul-de-sac was developed into housing.

The "old guy" in the glass shop at Hampton Road was "Bunny" Bromley, white haired, red faced and always a pencil behind his ear! I learned glass cutting from him, including cutting round holes for window ventilators, which cost 10 shillings to cut out. We were all armed with folding rules, pencils and a glass cutter. I still use my folding rule to this day. It's in pretty good shape for about 56 years old! It works great for setting up accurate cuts on my table saw at home.

In the mill we had a large table saw and an over/under planer that came from wartime fire salvage at GE in Witton I think. I made lots of window sills from keruing on that planer which was very dark and hard.

We ran the lumber through the planer under the table to get the thickness and then over the top to add rebates and angle the top for rain run off. Back over to the table saw then to cut a drip groove underneath!

To run long lengths of lumber through the circular saw, we used to have to carry it on our shoulders down into the Bromley's back yard, turn around and feed it in through the open window!

Up top in the main yard we had another smaller table saw and a cross cut saw with a long bench. Dave Ray's carpentry shop was just behind, with an ancient but wonderful mortice and tenon machine.

Wheelers was a household name for sure!
Subbing went bust in the early 90's so Wheelers moved to their yard in Shortheath.

Fort Dunlop fire engine, i dont remember them havng a lt van but do remember the 5 seat bike and the Bedford engine that i used to push with my fork truck to start it
index.php

working in the mill was the worst you got filthy i liked the job driving a fork truck moving the bales and taking them to other depts

Workers on break time, no date I'm afraid and not the best quality, do you recognise anyone?

My uncle Dick Shakespeare (second from left) worked there most of his life, coming up 90 this year.
His father (also Dick) worked there for many years and also at Hughes.

I remember going to a few Christmas parties and the sports days as a nipper.

View attachment 170553
I think
Workers on break time, no date I'm afraid and not the best quality, do you recognise anyone?

My uncle Dick Shakespeare (second from left) worked there most of his life, coming up 90 this year.
His father (also Dick) worked there for many years and also at Hughes.

I remember going to a few Christmas parties and the sports days as a nipper.

View attachment 170553
I think the man on the end on the right is my granddad Alfred Bates.

It was the superb walkway down the right hand side of the canteen complex, overlooking the gardens
thanks for that info mass....at a time when large and even small companies still looked after their staff and families very well

lyn

During the Second World War, the tyre maker Dunlop Rubber Company Ltd took on the manufacture of a range of rubber goods from hot water bottles to barrage balloons. They also made protective equipment including a range of anti-gas shoes to be worn by small animals and rubber swimsuits for combat divers, commonly known as Frogmen
Dunlop’s Frogman suit was made of thin, pliable rubber, a vast improvement on earlier designs, which were both bulky and had to be worn with woollen underwear

1920s tricycle.
John Boyd Dunlop developed pneumatic tires for his son's tricycle and soon had them made commercially first in Scotland, immediately later in England.
1702194941921.jpeg

Back