• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Dunlop

neil324

knowlegable brummie
Yes that's it you can see it and the map confirms the same location. I knew there had to be one around there.

Radiorails

master brummie
There was a brick factory in Holly Lane, Erdington. Prior to WW2 they supplied bricks for the housing estates and the Dunlop factory. Apparently 20 million bricks were need to build Dunlop.

Radiorails

master brummie
The marker posts possibly refer to mains electricity and gas supplies. Dunlop got its water, I understand from the River Tame. Before the days of nationalisation maybe the DR Co. plate was a water marker. It looks old enough to be something like that, remains unpainted so presumably of not current purpose and it is interesting that it is still there.

neil324

knowlegable brummie
There does seem to be other utility markers there now, but the the intials are strangely similar to the Dunlop name.

oldMohawk

master brummie
There is an aerial image of what that site looks like today and some other information about it in the Brickworks thread.

Frothblower

Lubrication In Moderation
Land marker, 'this belongs too' or entrance sign. Is it by the West/East drive entrance?

I'm amazed it's still there when the rest has gone. That concrete and tarmac are newer, so workers have worked around it at some point.
I did try to remove it but it was absolutely solid in the ground and it wouldn't budge :(