• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Dunlop

Your profile pic looks sort of familiar... were you on the Fitting? I was in the Patternshop, my Brother was on the View.

Your profile pic looks sort of familiar... were you on the Fitting? I was in the Patternshop, my Brother was on the View.

Yes I was on the fitting section. I can't remember names, you may remember George Fletcher who was in the Operatics society. He drove me barmy with is singing all day:D
I bet it was your brother who rejected my work all the time:rolleyes::D

Yeah.. I remember George. Even though I was in the Patternshop I was over talking with Alex much of the time.. I think by the 80's he was on the View by the Boring M/C's. He has loads of M/C Tool pic's I'll see if I can scan them and send them to you.... you may be on some!

Ian

Yeah.. I remember George. Even though I was in the Patternshop I was over talking with Alex much of the time.. I think by the 80's he was on the View by the Boring M/C's. He has loads of M/C Tool pic's I'll see if I can scan them and send them to you.... you may be on some!

Ian

I look forward to seeing them Ian. I don't think I will be on any photos though. I always had a face mask and goggles on and covered with dust. Would be nice to look at them photos. I'm alright with faces not with names.

Chris

My grandfather worked there till he retired in the 60's , at one time he was foreman of the mill ( the black ole! )i have a couple of pics , though the quality is not good. one is a framed pic behind glass that i do not want to disturb as it is its original frame , so it has my reflection :) the other was taken by Dunlops Advertising unit , and the third taken by me with a 110 camera from the tower block ( soon to be demolished ) opposite the fort.

Thought i would add the official stamp on the back of photo 2.
My grandfather was William G Arnold.

My Grandfather William G Arnold worked at the Dunlop in the black hole , i have posted some pic's on the "Dunlop Help" thread

Somewhere hopefully ,their will be pic's and negatives from Dunlops official advertising phot unit
Where there were many pic's taken at the company's club and different events.

i remember an unpleasant experience at the Dunlop One shut down fortnight i had to install new lighting in the steam tunnel that ran from the top of the site under all the buidings down to the Fort 12hr working days 7 days a week the whole tunnel was alive with Crickets and Rubber Bugs not one of the nicest jobs i ever did took a month to get the grime out of my skin.Dek

Both my uncle JOHN(jack) EDWARD LAMB & my cousin's husband BRAMWELL (bram ) QUATERMAIN were COMMISSIONER'S for many years at the DUNLOP Tyburn Road.
Any one have recall of either????

A friend of mine David Parks worked at Dunlop...mid fifties on. Probably in the maintenance department. He used to build offices and the like there. He was older than me and more of a mentor realy and I can't remember if his name was spelled with an 'e' or not. He would have been employed there for a long time. Just the off chance that someone may have heard of him here.

Lyn, My father worked at 'The Dunlop Rubber Co' at the time that Character reference was written, he started there in 1912 in the 'Fabric Prep' department, he served in the Army 1915/18and returned to Dunlops at Aston Cross, (the site later became 'Hercules Cycles') after the war, he was injured there in an explosion in the department but resumed work and moved with the company to Holly Lane, Erdington. This was before Tyburn Road was created and from Aston where he lived the only way there was a tram to Holly Lane at the top of Gravelly hill, then some form of transport down to the factory. Sometimes he'd have a ride on a canal boat from Salford Bridge to the 'Fort' Don Clive.

well thats a coinsidence don....it would be great if one of F DARBYS rellies saw this...

lyn

My dad also worked at The Dunlop at Aston Cross, but I believe it was after he came back from the lst World War, he moved to Holly Lane, and worked there all his life retiring l965/66 past the normal retirement age. He had a couple of long service medals and a gold watch which he gave to my only brother who lives in Australia as he was the only one to carry on the family name, my brother has sons, grandsons and great grandsons so the name will live on. My mother told me that when they were hard up and one of the kids needed new shoes, Dad would walk all the way to Holly Lane from Aston and back after a very hard days work so mom could get the shoes, sometimes every day of the week. Mom worked at Hercules through the war years, and I remember going to a "Worker's Playtime" (a radio show) broadcast from Hercules when I was a little girl.

Hubbys nan and dad both worked at Dunlop, nan in the offices and dad on the shop floor - he won an award for innovative ideas and was featured in the company magazine, before studying and becoming a lecturer at Tile Hill College. Sadly he died aged 50 in 1987 and nan died in 2006 aged 92.
Sue

Slightly off thread with the name Dunlop. It is my son in law's name and they originally came from Ireland and was name Delap. Apparently Dunlop is another name for Delap.

Graham

I am lead to beleive my grandfathers brother in law was a manager at Dunlop - not sure on time scales sometime from 1930 onwards .. His name was William G M Peare (possibly Pearce).

I do know he and his wife went to Ireland and I have a travel document for their return to England again showing him as a manger with Dunlop Rubber in the 50's.

I too would love any additional information relating to him.

Thanks
Sharon

Graham

I am lead to beleive my grandfathers brother in law was a manager at Dunlop - not sure on time scales sometime from 1930 onwards .. His name was William G M Peare (possibly Pearce).

I do know he and his wife went to Ireland and I have a travel document for their return to England again showing him as a manger with Dunlop Rubber in the 50's.

I too would love any additional information relating to him.

Thanks
Sharon

Hi Sharon.

Dunlop in Erdington was a huge factory, when I started in 1969 there was approx. 10,000 people working at the site and consequently many managers in many different departments. I would be interested in doing a little research for your relatives work info. but need some more definitive details from you. Perhaps if you could elaborate on his role at Dunlop or post a copy of the info. you have.

Hi

I know he was in Birmingham in 1931 as this was when he married my great aunt Bessie (Elizabeth) Chesterman. He was shown on marriage record as William G M Peare. Family remember him as George. Surname may be typo and could actually be Pearce.

I have attached the travel document, this shows them traveling back from Ireland to England in 1958 c/o Dunlop Rubber as a Manager with his wife and youngest Son.

Any information would be wonderful

Kindest Regards
Sharon
View attachment 67997

Thats interesting. I'm a little confused with the dates shown, am I correct in assuming that the dates on the travel document are Birth dates. i.e. William born in 1905, Elizabeth born in 1907 and George in 1947. Could the surname be PEARL and not PEARE. I have a PEARL family actually living with my BURR family and also working at Dunlop!

Would Kellys Directory give any clues? Not sure what sort of info it holds on large companies but might shed some light for you

My son in law's name is Dunlop. His family came from Ireland in the early 1900s and their name at that time was Delap. They changed their name to Dunlop because at the time B&Bs were showing in their windows No Blacks, Irish or Dogs. From what I believe Delap was changed a lot to Dunlop. In wonder if this happened in the case of 'Dunlops - would anyone know?

I am researching Birmingham's Works sports clubs and trying to locate where the archive of these Dunlop in house magazines are held. Help please! Does anyone own any?
Many thanks, Jean

Lyn, My father worked at 'The Dunlop Rubber Co' at the time that Character reference was written, he started there in 1912 in the 'Fabric Prep' department, he served in the Army 1915/18and returned to Dunlops at Aston Cross, (the site later became 'Hercules Cycles') after the war, he was injured there in an explosion in the department but resumed work and moved with the company to Holly Lane, Erdington. This was before Tyburn Road was created and from Aston where he lived the only way there was a tram to Holly Lane at the top of Gravelly hill, then some form of transport down to the factory. Sometimes he'd have a ride on a canal boat from Salford Bridge to the 'Fort' Don Clive.

This photo might be of interest. Dunlop workers gathering to travel to work by barge at the end of the First World War. Think this barge must have been to Fort Dunlop, not Aston Cross. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1335192465.041636.jpg

Hi, I think this may be my granddad who died at a very young age at the factory (F Darby), is there any chance you can post the picture as i cannot see it, would be very grateful!?
thanks

Back