• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Duke street

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hi mike when time permits could i have a map showing duke st please...just found a rellie living there in 1841 no number though...

dont think i have any photos of this street so if anyone can help that would be great

lyn

Hi Lyn

A couple of photos of Duke Street for you.

Attachments

• Gosta Green Duke St.jpg
    Gosta Green Duke St.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 152
  • Gosta Green Duke St Removing the Last Gas lamp.jpg
    Gosta Green Duke St Removing the Last Gas lamp.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 141
  • Gosta Green Duke St Stables bhw.jpg
    Gosta Green Duke St Stables bhw.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 140
  • Gosta Green duke of york Duke Street.jpg
    Gosta Green duke of york Duke Street.jpg
    257.4 KB · Views: 148
Here you are Lyn, map of c 1889, probably taken around 1886. and a much less detailed one c 1839. I only seem to have two photos, and neither have buildings that would have been there in 1841

map_c_1889_Duke_St.jpg
map_c_1839_Duke_St.jpg

Last edited:
Phil, Thank you for the photo of the Duke of York, 13 Duke St. My great grandfather Francis R. Blakemore was there in 1899. I don't know how long he was there before that. He ran several pubs over the the years. the following year he was at the Lord Nelson in Thorp St but I've never found a picture of that one.
rosie.

many thanks phil and mike...i notice that on the earlier map there was no lower lawrence street also i should have remembered about the last gas lamp in duke st as i posted that photo on here..mind you it was about 6 years back..memory not what it was lol

lyn

Last edited:
hi mike when time permits could i have a map showing duke st please...just found a rellie living there in 1841 no number though...

dont think i have any photos of this street so if anyone can help that would be great

lyn
Hi. I have found family that were living in Duke Street for some time. William Thomas Johnson and his wife Ann lived at 3 court, 4 house, Duke Street. William was a Wheelwright, being born in 1842 in Duke Street and living there till he passed away in 1898. Can anyone help please?

Welcome to the Forum - what sort of help do you want? Are you looking to trace census records, children or what? The more info you give the more we might be able to add.

A search of the 1881 census shows a William PARTON and his wife Ann at 3 court 4 house Duke Street.
1583328712449.png
Census date amended as per post #10

Last edited:
Oops - actually 1881 - will amend it. I think I was so surprised to find Parton not Johnson :)

Last edited:
I just found relatives on Duke Street, 3 court, 2 house. The map above has their home. Is there a way to download it to my computer. Thanks.

Right click on it - from the menu left click Save image as and then choose name and location.

I just found relatives on Duke Street, 3 court, 2 house. The map above has their home. Is there a way to download it to my computer. Thanks.
Shoothill had this photo labelled as Court 6 so not too far away from Court 3 and typical of housing at the time. Your relatives may have seen it ...
Houses 1 and 2 in Court 6, Duke Street. Unusual use of old mattresses on the right.
index.php

image from the Shoothill collection.

Phil, Thank you for the photo of the Duke of York, 13 Duke St. My great grandfather Francis R. Blakemore was there in 1899. I don't know how long he was there before that. He ran several pubs over the the years. the following year he was at the Lord Nelson in Thorp St but I've never found a picture of that one.
rosie.
My great grandad ran the duke of York pub, around 1910-20 I think. Ben green, a local boxer from what I understand. My mom tells me she used to play In the courtyard.

In the early 1960s my stepmother worked at Duke street police station as a cleaner I would go with her . I would go outside where the stables were and say hello to the horses in the stables.

Back