• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

DUKE OF CORNWALLS LIGHT INFIRTRY 1st BAT

christy

master brummie
HI,everyone, IS there any brummies, out there who served in this regiment, i have a few photos, of my grandfather, there is a large photo of his battalion on parade some-where around the world,[india] it has no writing on this photo to say where it was or who they are, my grandfather was in this regiment,17,years, [1928-1946]. i have phoned there head-quarters, in bodmin, they have no answers? his name was jack preen, he was put into care with this name, in 1940, when he got married, his birth cert said john newman, he was always, know as JACK,,. if you can help with info please do,...all the best,..regards...christy..

hi,folks, here is the large photo, you may have to turn around, my grandfather is here some where? small photo he send back fromwhere he was, with those words, on the front,[five brummies] take care, all the best....christy,.

HI,everyone, IS there any brummies, out there who served in this regiment, i have a few photos, of my grandfather, there is a large photo of his battalion on parade some-where around the world,[india] it has no writing on this photo to say where it was or who they are, my grandfather was in this regiment,17,years, [1928-1946]. i have phoned there head-quarters, in bodmin, they have no answers? his name was jack preen, he was put into care with this name, in 1940, when he got married, his birth cert said john newman, he was always, know as JACK,,. if you can help with info please do,...all the best,..regards...christy..
Hi Christy
My father was also in 1st battalion D.C.L.I, he served from 1931 - 1946. As far as I can make out the regiment served in India until the outbreak of war in 1939 then he went to Egypt, North Africa and Sicily.

You could always try to apply for his service records, costs about £30, I think from GOV.com

Scan 5.jpeg
I have quite a few of this type of photograph, sadly nothing written on the back but clearly must have been taken in India.
Scan.jpeg
This must have been his passing out photograph as it's dated 1931, he is front row, 3rd from left.
Scan 20.jpeg
This is Bodmin Barracks where I'm pretty sure he trained. It's a museum now, I visited a few years back, very interesting. Building looked almost identical to this postcard.

In Minden Germany 1955/6, with HQ 61 Lorried Infantry Brigade, we were a mixture of Corps and Regiments (once put 28 cap badges on parade, not including the cavalry/hussars/Lancers man who had no cap badge. When I arrived, the current Regiments comprising the brigade were the Green Howard's, The Sussex Regiment and the Ox/Bucks Light Infantry. Our CMS had been transferred from the Ox/Bucks and reverted to his original regiment on deployment which was the Duke of Cornwalls Light Industry. He was a Birmingham chap named Joseph Rowley which I always thought a strange thing that a Brummie should be in the DCLI, he never explained how he had got there, but said during the war, there were quite a few Midlanders in the unit with him. He departed early 1956 on demob, never knew where he was going to call home. Apart from the Royal Signals, the Royal Engineers, the RMP and the Scots Guards, none of the other corps or regiments that made up the brigade HQ still exist as far as I know.

Bob

Back