• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Dugmore Family Tree

Steve D

I'm researching my family tree and using census and other sources have got back to Isaac Dugmore, born 4 May 1800, married Priscilla Smawley (or Smalley) on 26 November 1821 at St Mary's Handsworth Bham. He was baptised in Harborne and, I think, his parents were Thomas and Sarah Dugmore. His occupation is down as Lapidary and there seems to be a long link with the jewellery trade (son Edwin was a Jeweller; grandson John Ernest was a Silversmith. Does anyone have any information on this branch of the Dugmore family and any sources of information about the jewellery industry particularly going back beyond 1800?

Don’t know if you have seen this, from directories:
Have only gone up to 1841
Dugmore Isaac, manufacturer of glass sand and emery paper, Fleet-street
Dugmore Thomas, manufacturer of scouring paper,Bromsgrove-street .
Dugmore Thomas, lapidary and stone cutler in general,Navigation-street , ,
Dugmore John, broker, Worcester-street
Dugmore Edward, wheeler, japanner and victualler,Nag's Head, Lichfield-street
Dugmore Isaac manuf. of glass, sand & emery paper, Fleet-street .
Dugmore Thomas manuf. of scouring papers Essex-street
Dugmore Thomas, lapidary, and glass cutter in general N a v i g a t i o n - s t
Dugmore, Edward W., japanner, Lichfield St:
Dugmore Thomas, lapidary, and glass cutter in general, 27.Fleet-street
Dugmore Edward, painter, 17, Newton-street
Dugmore Jas. lapidary, Marlborough St.
Dugmore Thos. emery, glass, and sandpaper maker, 8 court, Bristol-st.
Dugmore Thomas, lapidary and dealer in foreign stones, 27, Fleet-st
Dugmore Thomas and James, lapidaries and dlrs. in foreign stones, 27, Fleet-st
Dugmore John, painter, and manufacturer of surveyors measuring tapes,
17, Newton street
Dugmore Isaac, lapidary, 35, Northwood street
Dugmore James, lapidary, 25, Mary street
Dugmore Thomas, lapidary and glass cutter, 27, Fleet street
Dugmore William, lapidary, 5 court, Cox street
Dugmore William, glass, sand and emery paper maker, Shakespear's Head
court, Queen street
Dugmore James, lapidary, 39 Caroline st
Dugmore .John, measuringtape manufacturer, 17 Newton st
Dugmore John, spectacle maker, 96 Hill st
Dugmore Thomas, lapidary and dealer in all kinds of stones, 27 Fleet street
Mike

Thanks for this. The Northwood Street for Isaac D looks promising. It is right in the middle of the Jewellery quarter.

I'm researching my family tree and using census and other sources have got back to Isaac Dugmore, born 4 May 1800, married Priscilla Smawley (or Smalley) on 26 November 1821 at St Mary's Handsworth Bham. He was baptised in Harborne and, I think, his parents were Thomas and Sarah Dugmore. His occupation is down as Lapidary and there seems to be a long link with the jewellery trade (son Edwin was a Jeweller; grandson John Ernest was a Silversmith. Does anyone have any information on this branch of the Dugmore family and any sources of information about the jewellery industry particularly going back beyond 1800?
Hi Steve,
Reply is ten years late, but if you are still interested - Birmingham trade directories over many years show the Dugmore family to be working as manufacturers of glass, sand & emery paper, lapidiaries, glass cutters and dealers in foreign stones. I am still researching because Priscilla Smawley is my 3rd Great-Grandaunt. She is the daughter of Elizabeth Pemberton whose family interests my greatly.
Jason

Back