• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Duggan family. Garrison lane Birmingham

Hi Lisa there was a Jim Duggan i worked with at Severn Trent Water, i was a Joiner and he worked with the gangs putting new pipes into the ground , he also did a lot on the union side. Raz X
Thanks. The duggan is quite a common name really. It's the place they grew up and the name together that's of interest to me. We may be related tho.

yes its hannahs obituary lisa this is from the birmingham air raids site ...watery lane is off garrison lane..as you said earlier nellie duggan died in hospital from her wounds...all very sad...interesting to read that hannah did not die at the house where she lived so it looks like she was visiting someone in watery lane when the bomb hit being in the wrong place at the wrong time which i have seen so many times

Hannah Tovey Address 6 Block, 6 House, West Holme, Garrison Lane. was killed on the 22 November 1940 at Whitfields, Watery Lane. Hannah was 60 years of age when this happened.

lyn

Last edited:
Lyn, Whitfields was a bedstead maker factory in Watery Lane, so possibly Hannah worked there at the time?
Lynn.

ahh well done lynn i have now found both nellie duggan and hannah tovey on the BARRA site...they must have both been working at whitfields bedstead makers when it was hit...on the 39 register nellies occupation is an assembler

Last NameForename(s)Date of InjuryLocation of InjuryAgeCivil Defence Status
DugginsNellie22/11/1940Whitfields, Watery LaneCivilianView
ToveyHannah22/11/1940Whitfields, Watery Lane60Civilian

Last edited:
Would it be beacuse she died in Worcestershire Lyn? The UK Civilian list where I found those 2 entries is divided up into the different counties. Bit of a mystery why she was taken there, unless she too was doing war work. Do you know the dates Bordesley Green was bombed?
Lynn.

Would it be beacuse she died in Worcestershire Lyn? The UK Civilian list where I found those 2 entries is divided up into the different counties. Bit of a mystery why she was taken there, unless she too was doing war work. Do you know the dates Bordesley Green was bombed?
Lynn.

lynn have you seen my post 48

lyn

Interesting Lyn, i hadnt spotted you could click on it for more information. So perhaps Hannah died instantly but Nellie was taken to the Emergency hospital in Worcestershire, as she died a month after Hannah?

Lynn

Interesting Lyn, i hadnt spotted you could click on it for more information. So perhaps Hannah died instantly but Nellie was taken to the Emergency hospital in Worcestershire, as she died a month after Hannah?

Lynn

lynn i would think that is highly likely although i have not looked for a death date yet for hannah.. yes clicking on the extra info can be very useful info wise...again so sad that both hannah and nellie were both working at whitfields at the time it was bombed and nellies son ronnie lost both his mom and his nan...yet another case of being in the wrong place at the wrong time

lynn i would think that is highly likely yes clicking on the extra info can be very useful info wise...again so sad that both hannah and nellie were both working at whitfields at the time it was bombed and nellies son ronnie lost both his mom and his nan...yet another case of being in the wrong place at the wrong time

Very sad, and probably one of so many tragedies that occurred. You know how we spoke about going down rabbit holes..a lad caught my eye on the Army records...mainly because he was 14 and weighed 80lbs, bless him! He was passed fit to serve...shocking...but actually survived only to get killed in WW2. I also found out he'd been brough up in a London workhouse, so sad. At least Lisa has found a lot out about her family, which is such a wonderfully emotional thing when it happens isnt it.
Lynn.

oh yes lynn i have also found some very tragic and sorry tales over the years of research ive done...the one that will always stick in my mind is the astle family from guildford st...mom..grandmother and 6 young children all died in the air raids...how on earth the dad coped with that i will never know..but as you said at least lisa will now know just where hannah and nellie where when their place of work was hit...

lyn

yes its hannahs obituary lisa this is from the birmingham air raids site ...watery lane is off garrison lane..as you said earlier nellie duggan died in hospital from her wounds...all very sad...interesting to read that hannah did not die at the house where she lived so it looks like she was visiting someone in watery lane when the bomb hit being in the wrong place at the wrong time which i have seen so many times

Hannah Tovey Address 6 Block, 6 House, West Holme, Garrison Lane. was killed on the 22 November 1940 at Whitfields, Watery Lane. Hannah was 60 years of age when this happened.

lyn
Wow thank you..so I assume if I want to apply for a death certificate for Nellie i do so from Bromsgrove registry as Nellie died Barnsley Hall in bromsgrove..?

ahh well done lynn i have now found both nellie duggan and hannah tovey on the BARRA site...they must have both been working at whitfields bedstead makers when it was hit...on the 39 register nellies occupation is an assembler

Last NameForename(s)Date of InjuryLocation of InjuryAgeCivil Defence Status
DugginsNellie22/11/1940Whitfields, Watery LaneCivilianView
ToveyHannah22/11/1940Whitfields, Watery Lane60Civilian
Is that a spelling error on Nellie's last name? It says Duggins not Duggan.

Lynn.
Yes I wondered as to why Bromsgrove ...although I have read somewhere Barnsley hall was used as a military hospital during ww1 and then again during ww1

Is that a spelling error on Nellie's last name? It says Duggins not Duggan.

yes lisa just a spelling error...we see them often...if you want to apply for the death certs it is cheaper to apply online from the general register office think they are £11 each and take about a week to be posted to you..failing that you can contact the bromsgrove and birmingham register offices...here are the ref numbers you will need and the link to the GRO is below

nellie duggan ref no 6C 640 bromsgrove

hannah tovey ref no 6D 590 birmingham

Back