• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Dudley Zoo

I went to Dudley Zoo once with my friend and her sister, probably 50 yeas ago, she was sick in the car and all over me. I had an itchy tweed suit with short trousers. She had marmite sandwiches. I remember a castle ruin in the zoo I think. Geoffrey and Grace the giraffes, what a memory! Mum and dad couldn't afford the elephant ride either or the bactrian camel with 2 humps. The saddle was in between the humps. They had lots of barbary sheep, I gave one my ham batch It didn't occur to me sheep were vegetarian. Nico

Could probably arrange that at some point Adrian, I'm back up in the Midlands on a fairly regular basis. I'll get some posted here and then we can take it from there. Is your interest purely hobby ?

AndyZoo

Hi Andy

That would be great and yes my interest is purely hobby and I love doing it, I have currently got a list of most of the species kept at the zoo since it opened so some of your pictures may help with this project as well because it's great to know which enclosure had what species in and when
Hope to meet up one day

Regards

Adrian

In the early 1950's I had an Aunt that lived in London and once a year she came to stay with us for a few days. I remember going to New Street station (the 'fine old building in Stephenson Street') and waiting at the top of the platform stairs for her to arrive. First sight of her I would run to her and say, Hello Auntie Elsie, can we go to Duggely Zoo? We used to go to the Zoo by bus from Bartley Green and it was always a 'proper' day out. I was always excited about going on the train
Happy memories :eek:)

I've been trying to remember days out when I was little!
Dudley Zoo seemed like the other side of the world and seemed to take forever on the "Midland Red" from the King's Head. The main memory is waiting to go up into the Castle and someone dropped an icecream over the wall and it just missed me! I lingered too long by the lions and got a good telling off from Nan, I was fascinated at the huge bones they were being fed. We couldn't afford the Elephant Ride but I probably would have been seasick.
rosie.

Hi Rosie
We used to travel on the old midland red bus from great Charles. Street Birmingham which was where the terminus used to be
And it was the b. 87 bus that came down from great Charles street coming through thr rough the parade which later became summer hill
In years later on after the demolition and slum clearance and through spring hill up the dudley red andsmethwick
And passing the old red cow. Pub that used to be very busy in those days ,does anybody know whether that red cow is still standing today
Always walked up through the old castle never took the chair lift always left it for my brothers and wait for them to come up
Same as going down I would run down I used to like the big huge rang atang ape he was fun to watch
Good old days Rosie growing up the old saying is men are little boys but not in my case but I do not think I would like to put the clock now
In this day ,

Best wishes Alan astonian,,,,,,

I wonder when the B 87 (and presumably the other B routes 80 - 87) changed departure point from Edmund Street? On the couple of occasions I went to Dudley Zoo I took the 74 from Snow Hill as I had not previously done that route.

Hi Alan,
If my memory serves me correctly it was changed around the mid sixtys to early 70 when they moved them all to snow hill
In those days there was two bus routes to dudley zoo I always took the b 87 the old middle red as I thought it was straight run
To the zoo where as the 74 it done a detour found through hockly brook
There was a series of changed bus terminus,s there in fact also the 85.86 and another couple of busses all started to operate there many years ago out side the watch and jewlers shop and the coffee house next to the old snow hill station in those days even the old 95 bus route to down through
Hockley ingestion street lodge rd up heath street and terminated at the clock at the junction of northbrook. Street
And out side another little coffee shop what the drivers filled there jerry cans for tea and a fag there used to be a little chip shop there as well
These are the family of the frying pan chipie that are now around the corner of dudley road today facing my old local
The Lee bridge tavern the same family again today whom own it the frying own have just bought along side of the pan a Pitta shop
And also have just openened up a chicken shack shop in Sutton Coldfield area months ago
John the father of the family did buy one next to the BBC many years ago then refurbished it and sold it on and came back to dudley red
Chris ran a chippie next to the summer field park many years ago Chris he died and his son took over
And sold it off and now lives in a chippie bussines at sisefield rd kingsnorton. Best wishes astonian,,,,,,

(Hi Alan, I don't want to go off topic but the Red Cow has been refurbished, have a look at the "Smethwick" thread.)

At the Zoo I remember going on the chair-lift and seeing animals below, I wasn't frightened of heights then. There was a train/roundabout for children too. I loved the monkeys but I gather they weren't very happy then.
rosie.

Hi Rosie
Many thanks for your reply I do not think you went off the topic it was I wanted to know whether or not it was still standing as I have not been that way for near on fifty years so I thought I would pop that question to anybody could tell ya or name it was still standing as in my hey day that was one of our drinking dens
But I was referreing to the zoo myself as I used to take my kids there many years later in life
And may I add my first adventure to that zoo was when I was in the junior school of steward street Ladywood when there was a Mrs Jones and a couple of teachers took us there for the day and we went on the b 87 bus passing the old.red. cow and later in my youth a couple of my old friends and unfortunelatey
As died but the other kid is still alive and kicking and of course myself trapped up to the cow at week ends
But still thanks again for answering my question best wishes astonian,,,,,,

If my memory serves me well was there some type of ski slope to the right as you went through the gates

Here's a short video about the return of the chairlift at Dudley Zoo a couple of years ago. Before the first chairlift in 1958 I remember the steep hill where it
is located was covered in trees and bushes. Haven't been for a few years but have happy memories both as a child and taking my own children for visits. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFmyG8OahHI

Visited the Zoo today after many many years, the chair lift was not working today, hoping for a few rides, will post some of the old buildings.

Attachments

• 1st June 2015 Monday  0050.jpg
    1st June 2015 Monday 0050.jpg
    199 KB · Views: 18
  • 1st June 2015 Monday  0106.jpg
    1st June 2015 Monday 0106.jpg
    249.7 KB · Views: 18
  • 1st June 2015 Monday  0136.jpg
    1st June 2015 Monday 0136.jpg
    278.4 KB · Views: 19
  • 1st June 2015 Monday  0137.jpg
    1st June 2015 Monday 0137.jpg
    294.3 KB · Views: 19
  • 1st June 2015 Monday  0138.jpg
    1st June 2015 Monday 0138.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 18
Thanks Dave. I haven't been to Dudley Zoo since the 1950s. Wasn't their slogan "There's lots to see and do when you come to Dudley Zoo"? Dave.

Thanks Dave. I haven't been to Dudley Zoo since the 1950s. Wasn't their slogan "There's lots to see and do when you come to Dudley Zoo"? Dave.
Dave will have to pass on that,,,,,,

Attachments

• 1st June 2015 Monday  0139.jpg
    1st June 2015 Monday 0139.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 12
  • 1st June 2015 Monday  0169.jpg
    1st June 2015 Monday 0169.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 15
  • 1st June 2015 Monday  0232.jpg
    1st June 2015 Monday 0232.jpg
    209.7 KB · Views: 16
  • 1st June 2015 Monday  0233.jpg
    1st June 2015 Monday 0233.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 14
  • 1st June 2015 Monday  0234.jpg
    1st June 2015 Monday 0234.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 11
When I visited the Black country museum a few weeks ago I asked what was happening to the left as you come out of the entrance into the museum. Apparently it is a new entrance for schoolchildren parties, but also will be used when they introduce a new joint ticket for normal visitors who want to visit both the zoo and the museum

On Tipton Rd between the DZG and the BCM the land is under going building of a large car parking area, part of it is open.
next few of the old buildings

Attachments

• 1st June 2015 Monday  0235.jpg
    1st June 2015 Monday 0235.jpg
    257.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 1st June 2015 Monday  0236.jpg
    1st June 2015 Monday 0236.jpg
    240.5 KB · Views: 9
  • 1st June 2015 Monday  0237.jpg
    1st June 2015 Monday 0237.jpg
    247.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 1st June 2015 Monday  0238.jpg
    1st June 2015 Monday 0238.jpg
    216 KB · Views: 8
  • 1st June 2015 Monday  0263.jpg
    1st June 2015 Monday 0263.jpg
    221.1 KB · Views: 7
Some photographs from a day with my then girlfriend,at Dudley Zoo, 1954.

I have never been back since, and no doubt everything has completely changed, especially the animal welfare.

Eddie

Attachments

• 1. Dudley Zoo 1954 001.jpg
    1. Dudley Zoo 1954 001.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 18
  • 2. Dudley Zoo 001.jpg
    2. Dudley Zoo 001.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 19
  • 3. Dudleey Zoo 001.jpg
    3. Dudleey Zoo 001.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 20
  • 4. Dudley Zoo 001.jpg
    4. Dudley Zoo 001.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 19
  • 5. Dudley Zoo 001.jpg
    5. Dudley Zoo 001.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 18
Eddie,

I loved Dudley Zoo when I was young and went many times with my parents, although to be honest, the Castle held my interest more than the animals. It was probably earlier than 1954 when I last visited as by May 1955 I was doing my National Service and I certainly didn't go after I got demobbed.

Maurice

I remember it just like that Eddie, though younger than you it was still the same in 1957, when I first went, great camera shots too. I was still going there on leave from the army, with my pal Alan Fisher from Hilltop, West Brom. Paul

Back