• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Dudley Road

Gladysarthur

proper brummie kid
Hi I am wondering if any one knows about the Union workhouse and infirmary in Dudley Road,I have had just had a pdf email from Gov uk regarding my grandfathers death,luckily this time it’s the right one after three try’s ,any way he lived at 55 Bissell Road but apparently died at 88 Dudley Road,I’m guessing that was the union work house.

pjmburns

master brummie
I have done a quick map search and can't find 88 Dudley Road - looks as if even numbers were opposite the workhouse/hospital. The maps with numbers may be more modern but the numbers jump from 84 (a pub) to 92 on the maps I saw.

mikejee

Super Moderator
Staff member
No 88 post 1878 would correspond to the Old Windmill Inn from 1880. However, between 1878 and 1879 the numbering changed from consecutive to odd numbers one side of the street, even the other side of the street. I did think it might refer to this earlier time, but , as can be seen from the map, there do not seem to be any number 88 , unless Heath Green cottage or Summerfield Cottage were numbered that way
map c 1889 showing dudley road around Summerfield park.jpg