• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

dudley road, winson green

I lived in Winson Street off Dudley Rd from 1941 - 46 so I was only 5 when I left but I remember The Grove picture house, a fish and chip shop over the road from it that fried the fish and chips in dripping tasted lovely, another one on the corner of Dugdale Street I think that its still there. The Yorkshire Grey pub owned by M&B, Peacocks like Woolworths it had a very strong smell of soap, Hawleys dance hall on the corner of Chiswell Road inbetween there were various smaller shops and on the other side near the junction of City Rd was the Co-op grocers, butchers, and greengrocers. Then further along was Summerfield park and the police station and over the road on the junction of Winson Green Rd was Dudley Rd school.
Clive

Hi Patricia

This photo is supposed to be of 52 -54 Dudley Rd, but I have learnt never to trust addresses and locations given with photos unless I know them personally. In this case I don't but you might recognise them.

Phil

WinsonGreen52-54DudleyRd.jpg

Phil
No 54 seems to have been a boot repairer, under various names since before the war, and the right hand shop has 3 posters displayed on front for shoe polish, so that would fit in
Mike

Mike

So there is good possibility that its the correct address then, I read a few books whilst on holiday recently and I was appalled at just how many simple errors there were contained in them. I wouldn't mind but they were by people who should know better.

Phil

yes guys
mike you are correctthat particular shop was facing dudly rd hospital and it was between tHE bARKER and Allen factory and the Birmingham arms public house
and the old duke of wellinton pub on duddley rd and it layed empty for many years i knew a couple o guys whom lived up an entry just pa there whom i will not name
one was stabbed to death an hisbrother got sent to prison for arson on a coffee bar that opened up for a hort while the owner was a forigner ; and he payed the guy a hundred pounds to claima insurance fraud they both went to prison
best wishes astonian

Good afternoon Patricia, when i was eleven my family lived at 124, Dudley road from 1968, till the late 1990's when my dad died and my mom moved to a Bungalow in Harborne. Our house was two doors away from ST. Patricks church and facing the now known City Hospital.When we moved there our houses where old two bedroomed houses knocked together to give large families a four bedroomed house with a bathroom which for us was heaven. The Newsagents two doors up the other way was owned by Mr & Mrs Hammond who as far as we knew had been there for a while. We loved the space and being able to go to Summerfield park to play and if you where lucky enough to have sixpence left we went to the fishshop next to the park for a bag of bits haha .

HI LIZZY
NICE TO SEE YOU ARE STILL AROUND I HAVE NOT SEEN YOU ON HERE FOR A WHILE HOPE YOU ARE WELL OUR MAGGIE WAS ON ABOUT YOU AND TERESA THE OTHER NIGHT
AND THE OLD CLARKE STREET CHRIS AT THE CHIPPY WENT BUST BECAUSE HIS SON TOLD ME A WHILE BACK ABOUT HIM TRUSTING THE KIDS AND ADULTS AROUND
AND GIVING THEM CREDIT FO FISH AND CHIPS TO REGULAR HE WAS A VERY NICE GUY TO NICE IF YOU ASKED ME
IF YOU REMEMBER HE HAD A YOUNG SON WHOM USED TO HELP IN THE SHOP HE WAS ABOUT 12 OR 13 YEARS OLD
WELL NOW HE HIMSELF IS A VERY BUSSINESS MINDED MATURE MAN AND HE NOW RUNS CHIPPYS HIMSELF I MET AWHILE AGO WHEN I WAS DELIVERING SOME SPUDS FOR A
FARMER WHOM DELIVERS TO CHIPPIES AROUND THE COUNTRY AND IT CAME ABOUT CERTAIN CHIPPIES AND HE TOLD ME THE STORY ABOUT HIS DAD WHICH I KNEW FIRST HAND ANY WAY ABOUT GIVING CREDIT WAY BACK THEN FO HIS FOODS STUFF PEOPLE TOOK ADVANTAGE OF THE GUY
BUT SAYING THAT THE ONE FURHER DOWN THE RD TOWARDS SPRING HILL OPPERSITE THE COLLEDGE ARMES WAS THE SAME HE USED TO GIVE CERTAIN HARD UP FAMILYS FISH AND CHIPS AND PAY LATER ; THE ONE ON THE CORNER OFBARFORD RD AT THE FRYING WOULD NOT GIVE YOU THAT SERVCE I KNOW STEVE AND HIS FATHER JOHN
FROM WAY BACK FROM NORHBROOK STREET AT THE BUS TERMIUS AND WHEN THEY DEMOLISHED THEY BOUGHT ONE NEXT TO THE OLD BBC and then back to dudley rd
was it you or your sister i last seen at the greenway pub working there by the blues ground when you or your sister said on the day we are expecting a new gaffer to come
today and i replied yes me and teresa some yeatrs ago
nice to hear from you lzzy wasnt there anothe irish family by you on dudley rd teresa i beleive kept a cutting of your fathers death
hope to hear from you best wishes astonian

Phil, your photo is no 52 and 54 Dudley Road facing the City Hospital, the one on the right was a shoe repairers. they were approx. halfway between the Birmingham Arms and the Duke of Edinburgh pubs. I remember it well

Hi Astonian, i do log in most day's to see if there is any thing i can add a memory too. Yes the four houses in our row housed four Irish Families . The Dwyer's- Ourselves- the Murphy's and the Mcarthy's in all there where about thirty children in the four houses. It was not me or my sister's that you met as none of us girls where barmaids. Yes i do remember that young lad from the chippy by the park.

hi lizzy ;
sorry i made a mistake it was a maureen barnes whom i relized just after i wrote the thread but did not cancel the thread emediately
and it was maureen whom worked at the green way pub on the coventry rd i was thinking of whom knows my other half
and i know her other half freddie; please except my opologise but you did live in clarke street
and it was the murthys whom father had diedand my wife got his cutting from the paper we also knew the other irish family
have a nice day ; astonian

Ahh yes St Patricks RC school i used to attend that school during the 50s i seem to remember a newsagent's right next to the school driveway on the Dudley Road .. we used to get penny ice lols from there .. oh happy days ..!

Hi Clive,

In your description of various shops along the Dudley Road, you mention a butchers, would you recall if this was called "William H Shaw", (367 Dudley Rd) as I am trying to establish where it might have been, I have looked at the house numbers but they do not seem to make sense.

Bob

Hi Mike,

You are a "Star" thanks for the street map, it puts the shop I am looking for further down than I originally thought, so please accept my most sincere thanks for highlighting it for me.

Kind regards.
Bob Shaw

Hi Pat

I lived at No 6 The Shrubbery, Coplow Street. Coplow Street is parallel with Dudley Road and ran between Inknield Port Road and Northbrook Street. These days it's blanked off and you have to turn down Barford Road to Dudley Road. Living at No 7 Shrubbery was a family named Trevor. Sometime during the 1950s they family moved and Mr Trevor opened a hardware shop on the Dudley Road. I'm not 100% sure which side of the junction with Icknield Port Road it was but I think it was on Spring Hill side. A bit nearer Barford Road was Darlaston's the newsagent. On the corner of Dudley Road and Barford Road was the Post Office where my sister started her life long career with with P.O. Sadly my sister died in December 2010. Our parents both went to St Patrick's School, as did my sister, brother and me. We kids left St Pat's for other schools about the age of 11-13.

I also recall the police station next to the entrance to Summerfield Park and Peacocks store further along Dudley Road past City Road, on the right hand side. I can still remember my father taking my brother & me to The Grove cinema to see Cockleshell Heroes which was released in 1955. Although not on Dudley Road, the other shop I remember most is the bakery(name eludes me) roughly on the corner of Coplow Street & Icknield Port Road. We would walk back from Ladywood swimming baths and spend the bus fare on a lump of bread pudding each.

We moved to Quinton in 1958.

There are a few photos of Dudley Road in the Old Ladywood website here:- https://www.oldladywood.co.uk/dudleyroad.htm

Mike

Hi Mike i am so glad to find a kindred spirit from the Dudley road section of my early life :fat: i may be able to fill in a few details for you regarding the Trevor family , i dont know how well you were aquainted with them but i was great friends with there son Roy we were inseperable for many years untill i left the area .i dont know what age you would be but i am now 64 i did not know them when they lived at No7 Shrubbery but from there i assume they must havemoved to Rotton Park Road which is where i knew them from i do have a few more details for you if you like but i have to dash out right now but please get back to me and we cab chat some more ...Cheers n Beers T.J.

Hi Lizy i bet you remember that little sweet shop right next to St Pats. school driveway they used to sell blackcurrant penny ice lols back in the 50s as i recall Cheers n Beers T.J :fat:

Hi Patricia I lived in Paignton Road in the 40s early 50s. My grandmother lived with us and was very friendly with a family who as far as I can remember lived at no 10 Dudley Road. We called the man grandad although he was no relation. It was a builder's yard and their name was Lawton. We used to play in the garden a lot. I remember an old air-raid shelter in the back garden. He used to take us on holiday in his old car. I still remember the number DOP659. We moved away in the early 50s and I was young so don't know what happened them.

Hi lessped

It's a small world isn't it?

I'm afraid I don't recall too much about the Trevor family from No 7 The Shrubbery. I was born in 1943, the big 70 coming up later this year. Straight after the war ended my father was posted to Austria with the occupation forces. My Mother, sister and me went by train to Gratz to join him. We were there for about four months in 1946/7 returning at the end of February 1947. On return to the UK he was posted to South Shields for about four years. We all returned to The Shrubbery, where Mom's mom lived in March 1951. The Trevors moved some time after that, and the Carmichael family moved in. I don't know exactly when that was.

Grandmother died in July 1951 and we continued to live there until we moved to Quinton in August 1958.

They were good times though. No 7 was the last house in the terrace. All the other's from No 7 to the Harborne railway line had been destroyed by bombing. Some of the houses on the adjacent Coplow Terrace were also destroyed. It gave us kids a great place to play. We often used the Harborne railway line to get to and from Summerfleld Park. A bonfire on the bomb site every Guy Fawkes night attracted people from all around.

When my father died in 1989, and my brother returned from Australia for the funeral. We went to Coplow Street and were sad to see new houses all over the bomb site and Coplow Terrace had been demolished. It also looked a lot smaller area than we remembered it. The Shrubbery is still there today.

Hi Patricia I lived in Paignton Road in the 40s early 50s. My grandmother lived with us and was very friendly with a family who as far as I can remember lived at no 10 Dudley Road. We called the man grandad although he was no relation. It was a builder's yard and their name was Lawton. We used to play in the garden a lot. I remember an old air-raid shelter in the back garden. He used to take us on holiday in his old car. I still remember the number DOP659. We moved away in the early 50s and I was young so don't know what happened them.
Sorry just remembered it was no 10 City Road which was nearly on the corner of Dudley Road.

Hello again Mike thanks for getting back to the forum ahh so you are a little older than me , well you and yours do seem to have got about a bit , i cant remember exactly when i arrieved in icknield port road bur it was some time before the Coronation which as you know was in 1953 i do remember having a good party that day ab being given my 5shilling pieces oh yes we lived in the Bricklayers Arms i dont know if you recall that pub ? the Trevor family Reg. Vi. Roy. Val. moved to rotton park road but not to sure when . i have just posted a great long reply to your post Mike and it wouldn't load (groan) im fair worn out now :fatigue: i will get back to you a little later so frustrated at the moment grrrrr chers n beers T.J. ( get of quick in case it forgets what i have put )

Back