• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Workhouse Infirmary 99 Dudley Rd 1 Western Road

Jill

master brummie
I have just discovered that my great grandfather was born in the workhouse, Dudley Road in 1866. Does anyone know if there is a list of inmates so that I can see how long they were there please?

Hii Jill, i,m a new member and have just seen your query, if it,s not too late there is a site at https;//users.ox.ac.uk/~peterworkhouse
this site is from someone at Oxford Uni he has researched lots of Workhouses. i hope it,s of use to you Regards Jackie

Jill whe you go to Johns link the Locations of workhouses doesn't work, or it doesn't for me. I typed Birmingham in the search box, and it shows links to the 1881 census which is too late for you. If you post your grandfathers name some one can look at the 1871 census, which should show where he was then. But lots of babies were born in the workhouse infirmary, although the family was not living there.

Thanks for the links everyone. I didn't realise that babies could be born in the workhouse although the family were not living there Di which is reassuring as it's sad to think they were living there. I have since found the family on the 1871 census living in Bishop Street so they were out by then. Thanks again.

re workhouse,Dudley rd.
Hi again Jill, sorry you had problems logging on to the Oxford site , I have only just logged on but i seeone has tried to put you right, Hope it works for you now. Jackie

I have just recieved a 1921 birth cert, which gives this address as place of birth, not home address, as that is also there, was 99 Dudley Rd, the dudley Rd hospital?

HI SHERONB
I Was Born In Dudley Road In The War Years
AT Dudley Road And I Lived Down The Road From There
And I Was Brought Into This World BY ADoctor Called
Called Doctor Tracy , And Has The Years Rolled BYE
He Became My GP .Until I9 Was 18 Years oLD
But I Never Knew That Dudley RD Hospital Was
Number 99 ,
I Have Got To AdmitI Have Leart ALOT From This Site
Thanks , BEST WISHES , ASTONIAN ,;;;

Dudley Road Hospital

I was born in Dudley Road Hospital in 1961. Imagine my surprise when I learned that the birthplace of my Grandmother Beatrice HORTON in 1908 (shown as 99 Dudley Road) was in fact the old Workhouse (presumably the infirmary) and this became Dudley Road Hospital.

Family legend has it that she lived in a Workhouse. Any ideas how I can find out if she was indeed an inmate, or that he mother Elizabeth attended the infirmaty to give birth?

Does anyone know if there are any records of the inmates at this time? Otherwise I'll just have to wait for the 1911 census.

Jdknole, I think there is a hundred year exclusion on these records. It may be worth contacting Birmingham library. Unless someone on here knows more?

! Western Road

I have recently received the death certificate of my Gt Grandmother, Beatrice HORTON's mother, to discover she died at 1 Western Road in 1936. Is this not Dudley Road Workhouse as well?

I must admit I am a bit confused about what address relates to what. I assume at the moment that as the main entrance to the Workhouse was in Western Road that 1 Western Road is the workhouse itself whilst 99 Dudley Road is the infirmary. I've had a look at the www.workhouses.org.uk website but this does not clarify matters.

If anyone can throw any light on this I'd be grateful.

Union Road, Erdington, Birmingham - Workhouse

Looking into my ancestory l have found out my mother was born at Union Road, Erdington on the 18.11.1918 which l found out later to be a workhouse, my Grandmother was unmarried, does anymone know how l can get a list of the inmates at that time, my mother last saw her mother when she was 14 years old (1932) at Summerfield Hospital, l do not know when my Grandmother was moved there, my Grandmother died in 1976 at All Saints Hospital, l never knew my Grandmother, l think my Grandmother was in institutions all her life, my Grandmother was 22 years old when my mother was born. I have been to the Birmingham Archives and have been given permission to look into old records of Summerfield Hospital and All Saints Hospital but l have been unable to look into old records of Erdington House/Aston Union ????, l do not know what happened to the records of Union Road. l found one entry in one of the records of Summerfield/All Saints Hospital of my Grandmother it was dated 5th November 1924 in the last column was a date of 20.08.1939 was my Grandmother moved again on this date, this date was against quite a few inmates/patients. I do not know how long my mother was kept with my Grandmother but l do know she was living with a married couple who took to her at what age l do not know, the man l think died in 1940 (was he the father of my mother) the lady was alive when l was born and we use to call her Nan, not knowing at that time of my real Grandmother, if anyone could help me l would be very grateful.

If you click in the link, Pauline you will see that Loisand bought a book that might just tell you if there are surviving records, I know if you PM her she will help you if she can.:)

So sorry I forgot to put in the link, but Loisand has replied to you. Thanks Loisand.

Pauline, I found your post fascinating as my Gt Grandmother died in Union Road in 1921 & I assumed it must be a hospital/workhouse. I shall watch this thread with interest as I'd love to know more about this place & how or where I can find out more info.

The book I have is called "Highcroft: from workhouse to modern mental health service" by Mike Hinson on behalf of Highcroft History Group. There is no reference in the book to where all documents went after it was closed, but the book makes interesting reading. He gets some of his material from the Archives at Birmingham Library, one of the reference numbers are GP/B/2/14/1-8 (1912-1930). This is what the inmates had on Christmas Day 1912: their breakfast of tea or coffee, bread, butter and jam was followed by dinner of roast pork or beef, two veg, bread and up to 16oz of christmas pudding (with jellies for the sick). Supper consisted of tea, bread and butter with cake and the extras for christmas day were: MEN...20z tobacco, fruit, a pint of ale or mineral water and sweets.
WOMEN...4oz tea, 1lb sugar, fruit, 1/2 pint of ale or mineral water and sweets.
Children...mineral water, fruit and sweets and a small toy.

patients probable reason for marks in records

i notice the date against the records is a few days before the outbreak of the war-3/9/1939-so they may have been evacuating them Just a thought.

loisland the information on Highcroft is very informative. We all now know a lot about these institutions now which can make for very sad reading. I have a great aunt who was in asylums from when she was 12 years old. She was first in Midland Counties Asylum which was in Knowle then as an adult she was moved to Hatton Asylum where she died aged 37 in 1909. She was an epileptic and there was no medication then. I managed to get her records with a lot of pleading through Warwickshire Health Authority, because there is a hundred year closure on these records. I proved my connection and they sent me copies of her records. They told me although she came from Lozells she was treated here and her father paid towards her care. We only have a window of these events, it must have been heart renching for the families.

My great grandfather Patrick Costello Died in the infirmary/workhouse 1901, where can I find records of him why was he there? what did he died from? & what ahppened to his 2 younger sons?

If you get a copy of your great grandfathers death certificate this should tell you his cause of death and may contain other information if a family member was involved in registering the death.

You can look up the UK death indexes for free on www.freebmd.org.uk

To obtain a death certificate you will need to note the year, quarter months, volume and page number from the index.

You can apply for a death certificate on line with a credit card and then it is sent out to you by post. It costs £7 at present.
www.birmingham.gov.uk/registeroffice.bcc

To find his brothers you could look at the 1901 census which you can search by persons name or by an address www.1901censusonline.com this is a pay for view site.

I hope this helps you to get started on your family history search for details about your Gr Grandfather.

Patrick Costello

Thanks Louisa, it was his youngests sons Frank & Patrick jnr I have been looking for I have looked on the 1901 census and I can't locate them. His wife Louisa died the first quarter of 1901, my grandmother Nellie & her older Brother James are living with relatives in 1901 census, the others have disappeared I was wondering if they were in Western Road also.

Western Road Records

Hi Mary
You may find out wha records are available for Western Road at the Birmingham Library Archives. If you send them an e-mail they are very good in helping. [email protected]

I think the workhouse infirmary would have been included in the census.

Just in case there was an epidemic of some illness have you checked the death records for the children?

Have you checked for any other family members including them in their family and someone listing them with the wrong surnames. Look for Louisa's family especially as she was born in Birmingham.

It may be a co-incidence or no connecton at all but did you notice in the 1901 census a Nellie Costello aged 38 born Birmingham but listed on the London Brixton admin county and her occupation was listed as the Professional Artist Stall.

Patrick was a performer and it may be something that ran in the family.

Could the youngest children also have died.
There is a death entry for the first qtr of 1891 for Patrick Costello in birmingham age 1.

Patrick Costello

Thanks Louisa, Nellie Costello is on the 1901 census she's 15 & her brother James 18, they are living with their Uncle and aunt, Patrick is on the 1901 census at Western Road as a widower, I'll try the link you gave me.
Thanks

Thanks Alberta for your interest, Patrick jnr is on the 1891 census age 8mths, because of the conditions at that time he could have died after census was taken, they may have had more children his wife died at the beginning of 1901, any help is much appreciated, thanks again.

did you get any more info on 99 dudley rd in 1921

we have just found birth cirtificate for 1921 showing place of birth not home address as 99 dudley road - was it still workhouse then?

we have just found birth cirtificate for 1921 showing place of birth not home address as 99 dudley road - was it still workhouse then?

Not sure, but think the postal address for the workhouse was Western Road, the hospital would have been Dudley Road.

Back