• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

dudley rd new extension

D

dollyferret

the new bits,the old bit in the car park,and of course dollys obligatory pub opposite the spring rd entrance

where you go to get your cataracts done.nothing to do with the hospital but its right next door,nice aint it

Lovely photos

Is the last one 'The Archway of Tears' - from the other side?

Where people walked through to enter the workhouse?

just for you then ,the other side of the terrace,dont know about the arch ,maybe crommy or postie will know,they left the door open again

dudley rd

i was a nurse there c 1968 we all lived in the nurses home no uniforms were allowed off site so no mrsa they took us to some old homes in heneage st to see the poverty there v grim those days the hospital had nightingale waards dont know about now

i was in dudley road hospital for quite a long time in 1960 and 61 i wonder if anyone remembers the storys of the grey lady that supposed to have walked the corridors,

Last edited:
I was a nurse at Dudley Rd hosp in the early 70's. I have seen the Grey lady on several occasions especially in the underground corridors. There was a geriatric part of the hospital whos entrance was in Western Rd. I believe it was housed in the old workhouse.
There is still one of the buildings standing in the middle of the carpark albeit derilict I think maybe its listed.
I lived out as I was married and we were not allowed anywhere outside the hospital grounds in uniform indeed we had to wear a cape just to go from ward to ward.
No MRSA in those days nor any other superbugs, cant ever remember anyone dying from any illness other that what they were admitted for either!
Bring back Matron I say!

i was in dudley road hospital for quite a long time in 1960 and 61 i wonder if anyone remembers the storys of the grey lady that supposed to have walked the corridors,
I was born there nearly 64 years ago - has anyone any photos of it in 1960 . I’m in NZ

Back