• Welcome to this forum Guest. We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

dudley rd new extension

D

dollyferret

the new bits,the old bit in the car park,and of course dollys obligatory pub opposite the spring rd entrance

D

dollyferret

where you go to get your cataracts done.nothing to do with the hospital but its right next door,nice aint it

SuBee

master brummie
Lovely photos

Is the last one 'The Archway of Tears' - from the other side?

Where people walked through to enter the workhouse?

D

dollyferret

just for you then ,the other side of the terrace,dont know about the arch ,maybe crommy or postie will know,they left the door open again

M

margaret

dudley rd

i was a nurse there c 1968 we all lived in the nurses home no uniforms were allowed off site so no mrsa they took us to some old homes in heneage st to see the poverty there v grim those days the hospital had nightingale waards dont know about now

lindev

master brummie
i was in dudley road hospital for quite a long time in 1960 and 61 i wonder if anyone remembers the storys of the grey lady that supposed to have walked the corridors,

Last edited:

jude

master brummie
I was a nurse at Dudley Rd hosp in the early 70's. I have seen the Grey lady on several occasions especially in the underground corridors. There was a geriatric part of the hospital whos entrance was in Western Rd. I believe it was housed in the old workhouse.
There is still one of the buildings standing in the middle of the carpark albeit derilict I think maybe its listed.
I lived out as I was married and we were not allowed anywhere outside the hospital grounds in uniform indeed we had to wear a cape just to go from ward to ward.
No MRSA in those days nor any other superbugs, cant ever remember anyone dying from any illness other that what they were admitted for either!
Bring back Matron I say!

jdknole

knowlegable brummie
Dudley Road Hospital

I was born in Dudley Road Hospital in 1961. Imagine my surprise when I learned that the birthplace of my Grandmother Beatrice HORTON in 1908 (shown as 99 Dudley Road) was in fact the old Workhouse (presumably the infirmary) and this became Dudley Road Hospital.

Family legend has it that she lived in a Workhouse. Any ideas how I can find out if she was indeed an inmate, or that he mother Elizabeth attended the infirmaty to give birth?

Does anyone know if there are any records of the inmates at this time? Otherwise I'll just have to wait for the 1911 census.

W

Wendy

Jdknole, I think there is a hundred year exclusion on these records. It may be worth contacting Birmingham library. Unless someone on here knows more?

jdknole

knowlegable brummie
! Western Road

I have recently received the death certificate of my Gt Grandmother, Beatrice HORTON's mother, to discover she died at 1 Western Road in 1936. Is this not Dudley Road Workhouse as well?

I must admit I am a bit confused about what address relates to what. I assume at the moment that as the main entrance to the Workhouse was in Western Road that 1 Western Road is the workhouse itself whilst 99 Dudley Road is the infirmary. I've had a look at the www.workhouses.org.uk website but this does not clarify matters.

If anyone can throw any light on this I'd be grateful.