• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Dudley location request

Carold

Hello. My grandmotherx2 was a nailmaker in Dudley in 1861, surname Worton. The family are listed as living in Scots Green, Dudley and, prior to that, Queens Cross. I cannot locate an old map showing either of these locations. The entry on the census just shows Scots Green (not Scots Green Close) and the same for Queens Cross, no numbers. I cannot imagine it was much in the way of housing - the head of the house was a coalminer, so it may well be that the locations no longer exist. Any help gratefully received.

If I had travelled a bit further south on the Queens Cross I would have come to Scots Green. Today there is a road intersecton called Scots Green Island.
This time the yellow is Queens Cross and Scots Green is clearly visible - both sections are taken from the map linked in my previous post.
1641841289967.png

Queen’s Cross existed until at least 1994. Scot’s Green until around 1924 with a pub called the Waggon and Horses,

Below is a map of the south west of Dudley 1901 , in which Scotts Green is clearly shown at the bottom left corner. Not a very large place

map dudley west 1901 showing Scotts GreenA.jpg

Back