• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Duddeston Slum Clearance

Thanks for this Gary m8,, good & nostalgic viewing,

also links to other places of interest,, Useful to myself
(researching Family "Links" in Rushden, N,hants ) Cheers Gary,,johnY

Thanx for that link gary M8.... If as it says those pic's were shot from the tower of St A's church, then that was my playground from when I was three to when I was ten years old.
...St Alban's church tower in Highgate, Birmingham.
My Brother was an Alter Boy and one of the head Choir boys at the church, he sang at all the local weddings from around 1950 till 1957.

View attachment 14233
Here's a pic' of the church...

Pom

Last edited:
great find gary.
there is some really interesting films
the tanker drivers i remember the parking
charges a shilling all day, unheard of now
can,t park for an hour for that sort of money.
happy days regards dereklcg.

Great video Gary.

The women with the pram could be my older sister, she lived in Communication row

gary, can you help me,i am NOT very good on the P,C, i tryed to see the film of gooch st slum,s [1956] i press the arrow on the picture & only the voice come,s over, i know nothing about [ADOBE-FLASH-PLAYER] PLEASE HELP IF YOU CAN, i lived by gooch,st loved to see some film footage, many thank,s christy

hi gary, back again there was a film made in ST, MARTIN,S FLAT,S[1977-8] ONE OF THEM PLAY,S THEY DID BACK THEN[LIKE PLAY FOR TODAY] OR THE WENDESDAY PLAY, HAVE YOU GOT ANY IDEA,S, MANY THANK,S AGAIN ,,christy

hi,MAND please help,, i am trying to watch THE SLUM,S OF GOOCH ST, when i press the picture only the voice come,s on,please help DO I NEED TO PRESS THE[ADOPE FLASH PLAYER, OR PRESS THE DOWNLOAD BUTTON, TO VIEW IT] HELPPPPPPPP, MANY-THANK,S, CHRISTY

Hi Christy,
sorry not too good on computers, I have got Adobe, but when I clicked on the link, I just pressed on the 'play' arrow at the bottom of the screen and it played straight away....it sometimes stops to carry on loading.
Sory can't be more help.
Mand

Back