• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Duddeston Manor School.

Once More.
Local History 6 th floor Birmingham Library Newspapers LOXTON STREET SCHOOL

Sunday Mercury July 19 th 1964 "Goodby To Loco "
Evening Mail July 15 th 1995

You are right Kandor, I started with you in 1964, Mr Flemming learnt us
Mein Hut hat drei eckan (my hat has three corners) what kind of education was that, my cap was round.

My Mom also started with us, she was the assistant Cook with Mrs Whittaker, I used to get permission to empty the Teachers bin and sneak down to the kithens and get a handfull of chips.

Happy days

duddeston manor school

I still have my report book from duddeston .I started in 3y form teacher was Mr Sharp. The report year is 1964/5 spring term and the report book had to be signed and returned at the recommencement of school feb 23 rd 1965.Before Duddeston i was at Bloomsbury Girls and missed out going to the annex in Dartmouth st.I have the two years report cards for Bloomsbury and all my report cards for my infant years at Elliot St.Does any one remember Mrs Hinchcliffe the head mistress at Bloomsbury addressing us in the school hall at the time of the Cuban missile crisis, and explaining be may need to be evacuated?

Polly. You just brought back to mind about the report books. I have now found my report book for my time at Loxton St. from 1960-1964. I had nearly forgotten about that.
It is good to remember the teachers of that time, such as, Mr. Pullen ( for year ending 1961 ),Mr. Davies (1962),Mr.Williams (1963),and Mr. Drew (1964).
Thanks for that Polly. Regards, Barry.

re duddeston manor

found it at last. i,ve searched all weekend for this.i have in front of me the booklet they gave us when they officially opened the school.it was officially opened by alderman mrs e.v.smith on saturday 3 july 1965 at 11am.it unofficially opened on 1 sept 1964 with 735 pupils on roll.it contains a list of all the teachers plus a couple of pictures one taken in the library with 4th year students and i think the teacher was miss hall .one of the students is david pugh.i will see if my husband can scan it and enter it on this site.polly

Re:DEMOLISHING Duddeston Manor School.

I cant believe it! Where did you get the news from?
a s wood

Did anyone know Janice Pagett at Dudeston Manor? School She is my cousin and I am trying to trace her. Tried Friend's Reunited but had no luck there.

Hi All.My name is Irene Floyd i went to Duddeston Manor from 1968 till 1973.Does anyone remember me?.What a great school this was.

just to let you all know the school is having an open day the 23rd audust sunday 11 till 6 before they knock it down

I was told today that it's listed for demolition in early 2012
258917.gif
258917.gif

258917.gif

Didn,t know it was due for demolition I know it is having a large extension being built on the playground area.I was a 19 year old electrical apprentice and I work on the building must have been about 1963.I must be getting old they are knocking buildings down that I worked on the next one to go will be the Central Library. Dek

Didn,t know it was due for demolition I know it is having a large extension being built on the playground area.I was a 19 year old electrical apprentice and I work on the building must have been about 1963.I must be getting old they are knocking buildings down that I worked on the next one to go will be the Central Library. Dek

hi dek..its about par for the course.. i would say about 50 years life expectency for most modern buildings and housing....i didnt realise until the other day that holt school in wheeler st has gone...that was built late 60s early 70s....

lyn

anyone remember dave jones john godson, liz taylor .les nixon.christine &carol jones paul langston carol volante from years 65-67

Re: duddeston manor school

Yes I remember Mrs Hinchcliffe, I also remember Miss Pigavance, she was a very Victorian looking English teacher, with her grey hair tied up in a bun and she always wore black clothes. She was in fact my hero, the best teacher ever! I was a very shy and sad looking little girl with very little confidence but this teacher helped me to believe in myself and I've never forgotten her.

I remember Carol and Christine Jones (twins) they were in my class and very pretty girls. My name was Margaret Hall and I was the middle child of nine. Skinny, fair hair and freckles. My younger sister also went to duddy. I was very quiet, shy and didn't have many friends...

Bloomsbury Secondary Modern.Who remembers Miss Cliff needlework teacher Miss Clift music teacher We had Miss Smith at Dartmouth Street annexe we took turns in cleaning her sports car. Mrs Evans was a favourite teacher.and who remembers the pantomime the teachers did ? I will find out a photo of it. The morning lectures of Head Mrs Hinchcliffe in the sixties about no make up short skirts etc whilst she sat crossed legs in tight skirts high heels covered in make She did get a medal The M.B.E. she said it was because she had created the first Secondary Modern school in full school uniform when she was interviewed on ATV

My name is David howkins I went to duddeston manor school between 1972 and 1977 does anybody remember that period

Alfie it’s Scotty me and Arnie heard rake had passed away Arnie did try to make contact with you so we could attend his funeral, this is birds page my phone number is 07984078464 and if your on FB look me up how did rake die mate

My name is David howkins I went to duddeston manor school between 1972 and 1977 does anybody remember that period
I left Duddeston Manor (upper sixth) in 1971. Very fond memories of the school; Mr Southern (Head), Mr Batten (Physics), Mr Galliard (Chemistry) and Mr Lewis (Maths). My girlfriend at the school lived in South Tower. I lived in Whitehall Road, Small Heath, so walked down Duddeston Mill Road from the school to get on the number 8 bus.

My Uncle, Douglas Pagett, used to be the caretaker. Can't remember the dates but it must have been late 60's early 70's.

Maybe he wasn't actually a caretaker, but I remember going to visit to see my cousins (his children) one Saturday morning and he was cleaning the floor in the hall. So he did live either on site and or very close by. Myself and brother used to sell an underground newspaper and my cousin always bought a copy from us.

anyone remember dave jones john godson, liz taylor .les nixon.christine &carol jones paul langston carol volante from years 65-67
Hi les it’s been a while I remember you and bona use to hang out together everyone fancied the twins

Back