• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Drunkerds

pollypops

master brummie
I have just read in the newspaper that the Ancestry website has published a Birmingham Pub Blacklist with details of 'habitul drunkards' from the beginning of the 20th century. It says it shows photographs of those banned from pubs and clubs in the city and the nature of their offences - such as drink driving a steam engine!
I don't have a membership so I can't have a look but I thought you may be interested to know this info is available.
I wonder if they list drunkards from other places - Or did Brum have more drunks than anywhere else?:D
polly :)

Polly
The list is one issued by Holts brewery, so only covers Birmingham, but ancestry is quotes as saying that they hope to publish other brewery's lists at a later date.
Mike

I wonder if any forum members will find a relative on the list - or if they will tell us if they do??
Polly:)

I have just read in the newspaper that the Ancestry website has published a Birmingham Pub Blacklist with details of 'habitul drunkards' from the beginning of the 20th century. It says it shows photographs of those banned from pubs and clubs in the city and the nature of their offences - such as drink driving a steam engine!
I don't have a membership so I can't have a look but I thought you may be interested to know this info is available.
I wonder if they list drunkards from other places - Or did Brum have more drunks than anywhere else?:D
polly :)

Polly, I had seen some of those in the Central Library when I used to be able to get there, I thought the one about being drunk in charge of a steam engine very funny, although I did have steam roller in mind , can you imagine it ?

I was drunk when i stole a dumper in Lifford Lane when i lived in Kings Norton to get home and never got caught:D:D:D

Mau-reece

Somewhat off-topic but, an old colleague of mine once showed me an ancient newspaper report of the death of her great grandfather.....he was a renowned 'tippler'. He was eventually convinced by his doctor to give up the booze and live a more abstemious life, if he was to survive. However, the drink got him in the end....as he was run-over by a brewer's dray wagon!

Somewhat off-topic but, an old colleague of mine once showed me an ancient newspaper report of the death of her great grandfather.....he was a renowned 'tippler'. He was eventually convinced by his doctor to give up the booze and live a more abstemious life, if he was to survive. However, the drink got him in the end....as he was run-over by a brewer's dray wagon!

Oh my what destiny

Mossy

I was drunk when i stole a dumper in Lifford Lane when i lived in Kings Norton to get home and never got caught:D:D:D

Mau-reece

Do you mind posting you full name and address we need to get the crime figures down in brum. Dek:D:D:D:D

Dek name rank and number...no chance:D:D:D Mau-reece.....stand by your beds

My whole family were habitual drinkers, but I cant remember seeing any of them drunk! Half of my childhood seem to have been spent waiting outside pubs for my parents to
emerge, only at weekends mind, from Victorian times onwards the Brewers have been the working mans worst enemy, in my opinion anyway, the government
rescricted the opening hours during the Great War 1914/18 to keep the workers sober, Bernard

Last edited:
My whole family were habitual drinkers, but I cant remember seeing any of them drunk! Half of my childhood seem to spent waiting outside pubs for my parents to
emerge, only at weekends mind, from Victorian times onwards the Brewers have been the working mans worst enemy, in my opinion anyway, Bernard

I take your point Bernard, but if we stopped everything that people abused, we wouldn't have much of anything. My only regret is that I can't find a decent 'pint' near to where I live. :(

For those of you who were unable to buy a copy or just missed the story in last nights Mail. Here it is. If you can't read it just download it and enlarge it.

Phil

img038-Copy.jpg
img038.jpg

For those of you who were unable to buy a copy or just missed the story in last nights Mail. Here it is. If you can't read it just download it and enlarge it.

Phil
Phill, thanks for posting that - I didn't see the Evening Mail yesterday - I just found a small article in The Times. They're a strange looking bunch aren't they!
Polly :)

Looks to me that the 3 ov em would be able to go 3 rounds in the fairground boxing ring. Dek

:553:And there was i thinking it was a new phenomenon it must be in our blood or should i say glass,cheers :)

It's the chap in the bowler that gets me, I know I shouldn't take the Michael (especially with my eyes) but he looks as if he can see to the front and the side both ways at once. I wouldn't fancy bumping in to him at night down a dark alley.

Phil

It's the chap in the bowler that gets me, I know I shouldn't take the Michael (especially with my eyes) but he looks as if he can see to the front and the side both ways at once. I wouldn't fancy bumping in to him at night down a dark alley.

Phil
Handy when your driving,if your mirrors are not good lol

actually when you look through the 80+ people on the list it is quite sad. they look so ragged and desolate. when you read the ages of some of them you cannot believe it. they look 20 or 30yrs older. many have all sorts of scars and sores on their faces and some have no homes.

Back