• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Drop Stamp - Birch Rd - Witton

Thanks for that Old Mohawk , I never saw the plant at Great Barr . The guy in the white coat looks vaguely familar . I just remembered there were two smaller presses , dial feed, called Maypress .

Hi Mooch - The guy in the white coat is famous actor Bob Hoskins, and the film was 'Felicia's Journey', it seemed a rather strange film when I recently saw it on TV. The Maypresses went to Gt Barr. With regard to well pumps, their alarms failed one Christmas holiday, and the pits filled with water, and we (non electricians) were amazed to see flourescent lights still lit under 6ft of water.

Hi Mooch - The guy in the white coat is famous actor Bob Hoskins, and the film was 'Felicia's Journey', it seemed a rather strange film when I recently saw it on TV. The Maypresses went to Gt Barr. With regard to well pumps, their alarms failed one Christmas holiday, and the pits filled with water, and we (non electricians) were amazed to see flourescent lights still lit under 6ft of water.

Bob Hoskins !!!! No wonder he looked familar ! Ever felt daft ? I can guess what sort of lights they must have been but still a strange sight .

Hello there,

Only just tracked your article down. My mother was a Hickman before she got married. Her father was one of the two brothers you mentioned. I don't want to publish her e-mail on here, but I'll see if she would like to register on the site.

s William Meaden @ Hardy Spicers, Witton.jpgHi Folks.

I think I have post this picture before it's my father in law in the 1960,s at Drop Forgings Birch Road Witton his name was was William (Bill) Meaden.

Bazz I do remember you telling me about your dad and I bet he knew my dad and maybe Kenny Partridge who worked there from leaving school. Ken is still alive and if you let me know your dads full name I will ask if he remembers him. He attends the Upper Thomas School reunion every year too. Tried to put the photo on again but will try altering it's size as it has been on the forum before. Jean.

Hi Jean,
In post #25 there is a image place holder for your pic and looking at your try in post #66 the image has exactly the same properties so the forum server thinks you are posting a duplicate even though the original pic got lost in the 'hack'. Try Rupert's solution which is here
I notice the interesting pic from Ray has the same scene I remember from his earlier previous post but the pic properties are different so the forum server accepted it.
Phil

tn
Did it by coppying and pasting off Phill's photo. Dad is on the right. Jean.

Here is Jean's photo of her father at Halladays Drop Forge. He is on the right of the photo. Click on it to see the large photo.
Halladay Dropforge Jeans Dad.jpg

My father worked at Hallidays for 47 years in the hammer shop.He passed away a few years ago . His name was Reg Morris like myself. He was a stamper,they used to call him spring heel jack. I worked there for a short time in die tool room. My brother Billy worked there in 1962 in tool room . Name we remember was Joe Wheetmam,Clive ,Bruno Marizonie .
Only just found site i remember your dad did you live in ward end ,i worked in die shop for 46 years along with Johnny perks we had the best two managers in Joeweetman and Ken Partridge(APPLE) they taught me everything about diesinking your dad and men like Joe Weetman snr billy smith amongst them made drop forging a delight to be involved in walking around the forge when in full flow was magical i hope Billy remembers me

Hi John I am still in touch with Kenny Partridge. My dad was Albert Lyndon. I didn't know Ken's name was Apple and when I speak to him I might tease his about it. My dad used to mend watches in the shed at the bottom of our garden. Jean.

Jean, Ive only just got back to this thread. Have finally seen your picture of your Dad. Nice photo. And regarding my Dad, he was Eric Morley. He was a buyer for Halladays, and worked there all his days. He sometimes took me to the factory on a Saturday, and after he did what he wanted in the office, he would take me a walk round the factory floor. I was always fascinated by the machinery etc. Its a lovely walk down child-hood talking about all this again.

Hi Bazz I used to meet my dad from work sometimes with the twins. The office ladies used to come down to make a fuss of them. I will ask Ken Partridge if he remembers your dad?. He is probably going to the Upper Thomas street re union today so will phone him in the morning. Jean.

My brother Billy remembers you,and all people you mentioned. I was surprised at the weight of the bars my father used to pick up when he was drop forging.all the best \reg

I went there on a works visit. was given ear plugs on way in and told not to touch the walls. everywhere was covered in black dust.I took ear plug out on shop floor but soon put it back in. but the worst part was the heat and hot metal being thrown around

Just had a quick chat with Ken Partridge and he tells me that Jo e Weetman passed away few years ago and his wife eight months ago. I am phoning him again tomorrow as he was just off to bed as he is interested in the names mentioned in this thread. Jean.

I have just found 16 photographs showing the death of the stamp I will try to put them online when i can figure how to do it

Billy remembers your dad well he worked next door to Trevor. Your dad was first person billy spoke to when he joined hallidays in tool room

Morris that has made my day. I believe their title was Precision Miller?. I reeled the names mentioned on here to Ken last night and he chuckled when I called him Apple. Jean.

October 2002 registered the closure of probably one of the best and in my opinion the most skilful of drop forges in Birmingham namely Halladays Drop Forgings .I started work there as a die miller but did not getting burnt by the swarf so moved onto the diesinkres bench and it was there I met the great Joe Weetman who taught me everything about diesinking and drop forging and because he taught so well Iwas never allowed to leave the bench and my progression was stopped as the top diesinker. When Joe was promoted his place was taken by Ken partridge (apple).I left Halladays because they would not pay me what I thought I was worth so I moved to Deritend where it was piecework.after about six months I returned to Halladays because I missed friends and workmates ,will continue story at a later I am only up to 1962 if anybody is interested ,

Hi John Ken said he left about ten years prior to the closure of Halladays Drop Forgings. My dad only left due to ill health as he loved it there. Am following this thread with great interest. Jean.

Back