• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Drop Stamp - Birch Rd - Witton

Thanks Lyn, but I have already seen that one. I think it was on Phylis Nicholls site, if my memory is right. Barry.

how lovely for you jean to have this pic of your dad...thanks jenny for posting it

lyn

Last edited:
Thanks so much Jennyann. I am persevering with the photo's but I am doing exactly the same and am not able to browse even. Jean. Just had a try and everything is a ok thanks to Jim I think.

Here's the photo of myself and Joyce at the Halladays Xmas Party Christmas 1962. Held at the King's Head, Aston Cantlow which is very close to Stratford. Famous for Duck dinners. Joyce was in the office with me and Diane Chalmers. Joyce used to sing in the office and had a beautiful voice. We could sing over the the descending hammers and not bother anyone. It looks as though we are singing here.
I remember a fellow who worked in the offices, wish I could remember his name. He used to be very jokey and gave me a
cartoon called "Start of the Flat Racing Season"...drawings very much like the Salford Park flats with little legs, arms and faces running along trying to beat the other two blocks of flats also with legs, arms and faces. I have always remembered that. We got our work done but had so much fun.

Last edited:
Chap who lived next door to me in the 1980s worked at halladays by the name Colin Ludford

Lyn. It was on Keith Berry,s site I got that picture, under Phyllis Nicklin,s section. Sorry I got her name wrong the first time. And Jennyann. Great pictures of Jeans Dad, and the Xmas party. Lovely. You wouldnt happen to know the name of the chap sitting at the back with a glass in his hand would you? Barry.

Hi Barry:

Sorry, I don't know this gentleman's name. I only remember being with Joyce in that only photo. Halladays took us all by coach to the King's Head. I believe one of the directors had discovered this place in Aston Cantlow. My father, mother and I went in search of this pub after the Christmas party and during the next Spring It was certainly hidden away and we didn't find it. The signposts were very few and far between. I did find it years later though. It's still going today. Loved the words "Famous for Duck Suppers".
https://www.thekh.co.uk/contact.htm

Hi Peter,
Great photo! The factory is actually Salisbury Transmissions Ltd part of the Birfield Group, as was Hardy Spicer on Chester Road and "Fudgings and Guessworks" further up Birch Road.
I was an apprentice at Salisbury's from 1959 to 1965. Oh happy days!

isnt it funny how all our happy work days seem to be from round about the ,60s Dave.??? Barry.

I worked at Forgings & Guesswork and used to take prints down to the factory when it was Hardy Spicer. In the 'Guesswork' part we used to make 'Toetecters' and I think we had a monopoly because it was very good business. I moved to a 'secret' part of the factory specially built near the GEC works. We forged and extruded steel 'cold at room temperature' and we had to sign secrecy agreements, and could only get in that part of the factory with a special pass. We became the leading cold forging company in the UK and eventually moved to the largest building in Hamstead near Great Barr railway station. In 1965, GKN bought the business and it became global. I helped to install a factory in the Soviet Union in the 1970's and I could tell a few stories about that and also when Soviet engineers stayed with us and regular visits from the Police Special Branch, who one day came into my office and said 'we believe one of your Russians is involved in clandestine operations' - I laughed until the officer held my telephone pad up to the light to read the imprint of a telephone number the Russian had called...I could go on, but it would fill a book....:)

Last edited:
My father worked at Hallidays for 47 years in the hammer shop.He passed away a few years ago . His name was Reg Morris like myself. He was a stamper,they used to call him spring heel jack. I worked there for a short time in die tool room. My brother Billy worked there in 1962 in tool room . Name we remember was Joe Wheetmam,Clive ,Bruno Marizonie .

Morris did your dad have a large black dog only someone by the name of Reg used to be a friend of my dads and bring his dog with him?. My dad was in the tool room Morris. Jean.

Back