• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Dr Chris Upton

Vivienne14

Kentish Brummie Moderator
Staff member
Sadly Chris Upton passed away at home yesterday. RIP .

Viv.

Last edited:
Very sad news indeed, I for one will miss his writing as I have many of his books and always kept an eye open for new ones. RIP Chris.

Sorry to hear it. I have several of his books. He certainly knew his subject.

I saw Chris Upton interviewed on TV this week and he was resting back on a pillow and he looked really frail,can't for the life of me remember the
programme, it was either BBC 6.30 pm news or a programme about canals.

R.I P Chris, very sad news.

Mail reports his death and says he lost a long battle with cancer.

Last edited:
Sad news indeed! Chris Upton published two articles of mine in the Birmingham Historian during his editorship there. He was most supportive and encouraging to a "greenhorn". R.I.P. willey.

i am shocked and saddened at the loss of one of birminghams great historians....a massive loss to the city

RIP chris

Hi Friends
We Have lost a truely Fellow Friend and a family member of our society of our great birmingham historian society which we all belong to on this forum
The birmingham History Society which we will all sadly miss him within our city of birmingham
I also have several books in my collection of works by chris
God Bless , RIP CHRIS,,,

A great loss to the city and its history. Chris was an amazing teacher, lecturer and friend. I met him many times, a lovely clever and humorous man, who always made time to chat. He will be missed by many especially me! This was a great day we had on a bus trip he organised, taken at Blakesley Hall with these literature characters. He lost his long battle with cancer. R.I.P. Chris.

Attachments

• Bus Trip 031 edited.jpg
    Bus Trip 031 edited.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 24
Chris Upton featured in "Flogit" Sat 3rd October (Repeat of 2011 programme)

Last edited:
I too am sorry to hear of Chris Upton's death, he was a great champion of Birmingham's history and in particular the Back to Back's when there was sceptisism of the project.
R.I.P Chris

Back