• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Dr. Carl Chinn's Home Front article in Birmingham Mail today 11/12/12

Status
Not open for further replies.
An interesting and informative article, jennyann, and thanks for posting the link.

It confirms the widely held view in the 1930s that the outbreak of any major war would be accompanied by an immediate, sustained and devastating aerial attack. This was the thinking which led to the creation of the ARP organisation which went well beyond the appointment of the generally known wardens and included such functions as the police, the Auxiliary Fire Service, the Women’s Voluntary Service and other services responsible for rescue, ambulances, first aid, gas decontamination, and repair and demolition - all under the title “Air Raid Precautions”. The same thinking also led, of course, to the mass evacuation of children from major cities, not least Birmingham, when war became imminent.

Over and above the individual acts of bravery in conditions of great danger which occurred mainly in 1940 and 1941 what strikes me also with the wardens is the sheer dedication, month after month, year after year, with which they performed their duties. Much of their work must have been sheer drudgery, turning up for their shift in all weathers and whatever their personal circumstances, walking the streets in the darkness checking on the blackout and willing the hours to pass quickly and without incident so that they could get back to the comfort of their homes.

I remember our own local warden. He was fortunate in never having to deal with an air raid in his own sector. But he would always be around, occasionally knocking on our door if he saw the merest glimmer of light from a carelessly drawn curtain. He would sometimes loom up out of the darkness and gently admonish my mother for injudicious use of her torch when she was out and about. She would do her best to avoid such encounters by tearing a tiny corner off the Mail and inserting it between bulb and lens to reduce the light level. After a time I discovered this ruse and would surreptitiously remove the piece of paper so that when it was next used the torch would have reverted to its former brilliance. Nothing was ever said but she must have been mystified. I suppose that this was an act of minor sabotage. But in every other respect I was an enthusiastic supporter of the war effort, regularly polishing my father's Home Guard boots, brasso-ing his buckles, cleaning his .303 rifle with oily rag and pull-through (by far the best job) and suppressing fond and ever more distant memories of what bananas, oranges and grapes really tasted like.

Chris

Last edited:
Good story Chris....especially your "meddling" with your Mother's torch. My grandfather's story is documented on the Home Guard site.
Basically, our local ARP man came knocking because Grandfather, who was staying at our house in Erdington in the early days of WW2,
often got up in the night and made tea. The light bulbs were removed from the landing and hall lights. There was no need for blackout
on the landing window with no light bulbs. However, we were an end house and the window was exposed. Mom gave Grandad a torch.
He was 80 years old and unsteady on his feet. Grandad would flash the torch around on his way downstairs and that's when the dancing
light was spotted by the ARP warden. He must have wondered what was going on when he first spotted the moving light.
on.

is this DR carl chinn any relation to ernie chinn who i went to dudley road school whith about 1950, he lived i think in copalow st or marroway st of icknield port road.

Hi JohnH,Bailey,

I don,t think Dr Carl Chinn has any relation named Ernie,
Carl was born in 1956 and went to Moseley School

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back