• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Doctors

Cottage Hospital.

Wendy Hi, I think you will find The Cottage Hospital is still on the Parade, Sutton Coldfield. In fact its use is under review at the moment, as you said a lovely old building.

Hilda,

Dr Sudki Solomon was my dad's doctor. He moved to Witton Road some time in the 1940's. My old man used to say that Dr Sudki's cure-all advice was 'stop eating pork'. Dr Sudki also treated my grandmother, and when he house-called (there's a blast from the past, for you) he would say hardly a word. Just carry out a quick examination, grunt, and write a prescription before leaving. He always wore a wide-brimmed hat, too....

Big Gee

Masseys house.

Dr Masseys house is still there. The last few years being used as a childrens nursery. I worked for an Insurance Co. late 50s early 60s. Dr Massey was the company doctor. Got around a bit didn't he.

I thinking Hilda that Doctor Massey's house is the one in Ivyfield Road off Marsh Hill across the road from The Hare and Hounds pub(back to it's original name from "The Millside).
It was the largest house around that area and when Dr. Massey lived there
it was very nice inside. Dr. Massey had a surgery on Stockland Green I believe.

I first came across Dr Gouravitch when I was twelve - he operated on my father who was suffering from Hodgkins disease - he met me once for about thirty seconds when I was twelve.
Thirteen years later he met me again and recognised me immiediately!!
I had the honour to maintain both his and his familys cars for a number of years and found him and his family to be most generous and pleasant people.
I believe that when he retired from surgery he took a degree in hebrew and moved to Telaviv. I hope that he had a happy retirement he deserved it.

Dr Anderson. He was my doctor as a child, his practice was on Kingstanding Road close to Hawthorne Road. He shared the practice with a Dr Reeves. Used to have to queue up outside if the waiting room was full, no appointments in those days.

When I was young our doctor used to be Dr Burgess whose surgery was on Soho Road on the corner of St Michaels Hill, and almost opposite Villa Road. I always remember him as being a very kind man who you always felt comfortable with.

I just wish I could get a doctor with the bed side manner, (even though they don't do house calls today) that they used to have. Times certainly have changed for the worst as far as I'm concerned. I know they are busy but a kind word goes a long way. We always had a long wait but our doctors were approachable.
We had Dr. Howard on Oxhill Road and then Dr. Baird off College Road Handsworth and then Dr. Smart in Northfield after I got married. :( Mo

Does anybody remember Dr Woodcock on Hamstead Road. From memory he was opposite where there were some allottments and not quite as far down as Handsworth Park.

One of my earliest memories was of a doctor visiting us in Edgbaston and waiting for my mother to find a few pence she was short of as his fee.My father then arrived from work paid him his money he then gave it to me,but my parents gave it him back.This was just before the N.H.S of course and my parents often spoke about those days.Dr.Heaton of Great Colmore st was a good doctor and surgeon,he was well liked by everyone .We moved to Quinton in 1960 and our doctors were Dr. Prem and Dr. Daniels of Worlds End Lane.Dr.Daniels adored my grandmother,he called her mother and allowed us to see him privately.My Grandmothers Dr.previously in Edgbaston was Dr. Glass who became lord mayor of Birmingham.My maternal grandmother rarely saw a conventional Dr. ,she used to visit a herbalist in Broad st.Mary

Might be of interest,but the doctors who have their practices in Stockland Green will soon be moving in together in a new building,on Reservoir Road called STOCKLAND GREEN PRIMARY CARE CENTRE.

Anyone want to see a photo of it?

Hi John,
Dr Fitzgerald was our family doctor too. My dad always used to mimic him by saying:-
Keep taking the tarblets (tablets), spoken in a mock Irish brogue. To this day my brother and I come out with this line if one of us is ill. I remember the dull waiting room with the chairs lined up around the walls and making sure someone didnt nip in front of you, which was sometimes pretty difficult when the room was full and you werent sure if you were next! Happy days!

Hi Mrs T (or is it Jayne),
Very interested in the Care Centre as my 87 year old mother-in-law needs a doctor nearer her home. She lives in Ravenhurst Mews, Bristol Road (off Fentham Rd), Erdington and has tried (and failed) to find a doctor to take her who is nearer than her current doctor at Kingstanding Circle. It costs her an arm and a leg to go there by taxi.

I was born in 1940 and was registered with Dr. Dasgupta whose surgery was on Warwick Rd near Stockfield Rd until 1969. I remember him coming to our house on several ocasions. I also remember sitting in the waiting room waiting for the light to flash "next". When you went into the waiting room, you had to note who was already there and remember who came in after you so you would not miss your turn. After 1969 I changed to Dr. Brown on Hagley Rd. Quinton. Both he and his wife were practitioners. You would go into the waiting room and the receptionist took your details then you sat down and waited your turn. No appointment was needed. He was a lovele gent but is now retired and we now have a group practice with quite a few Doctors and nurses. There has not been any large scale building programe in the area for years, so there are no more people now than when I was with Dr.Brown and it is almost impossible to see a doctor of choice. When you can see a Doctor it is always a new one.

I remember Dr Aberdeen coming to our bakers shop in Upper Sutton Street.I was ill in bed but he was too infirm to get up the stairs. The invalid had to come down to see him.It was probably part of the diagnosis.

HI
I,ve JustBeen Reading The Thread On Dr Aberdeen ,And A Thought Came To Mind
I Remember A Dr Smith Being In White Head Rd Oppersite Upper Sutton Street
This Was Around The 1970 And I Remember My Aunt Whom Lived In Park St Down Victoria Rd Next To The Vine Pub And Dr Smith Was Her Doctor ,And We Lived Across The Rd On Victoria Rd At No 47 Victoria Rd And One Day She Came Up To Visit Dr Smith And She Popped In For A Cup Of Rosie Lea And She Was Telling Our Mom
That Dr Smith Had Decided To Charge Patients 5o P Per Vistit , How Long He Tryed To Carry On With That Caper For I Do Not Know But Any Way She Changed Her Doctor And I Remember Seeing A Big Yankee Cadilac [ Pink ] Always Parked Out Side That Surgery My AuntLived At No10 Park Street Ten Doors From The Vine Pub , And Her Husband Frank Came FromWiganAnd He Was A Drayman At Ansells Brewery For Donkey Years Until He Died From Horse And Cart To The Motor Lorry,s
There Was Some Big Familys Living In Park Street ThemDays Two Come ToMind
The Ensors And The Bag Shaws And The Gullys That Ran Between Wain Right St And Up And Around On To Lichfield Rd And I Remember The Sargents Family Whom My Mate Colin Gaskin And My SElf Was Always Fighting With AlsoColin Fisher
Best Wishes To Every One ASTONIAN ,;;

Does anyone remember Dr Bhagarva (I think his last name is spelt right!?) and his surgery in Shard End next to Guardian Angels school?

Last edited:
I thought that my wife and I where with a Dr. Bhagarva when we lived in Kingshurst back in the ,70s. But if this one was at Shard End, then I am probably mistaken. Barry.

Well, if this is the same one, Im afraid I had, shall we say, an altercation with him. On one occasion I needed him to call on my very sick wife, and he never came until hours later, after me not knowing what to do for the best for my wife, and pestering the surgery for help. I eventually verbally told him to get out of the house and I would take her to hospital myself. After that we changed Doctors as soon as possible. Still not very nice to re-call. Barry.

Back