• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Dr Bhagarva in Shard End!

bluebrummie

Proud Brummie!
Does anyone remember Dr Bhagarva (I think his last name is spelled right!?) and his surgery in Shard End next to All Saint's Primary School?

BazzM

master brummie
I thought that my wife and I where with a Dr. Bhagarva when we lived in Kingshurst back in the ,70s. But if this one was at Shard End, then I am probably mistaken. Barry.

BazzM

master brummie
Well, if this is the same one, Im afraid I had, shall we say, an altercation with him. On one occasion I needed him to call on my very sick wife, and he never came until hours later, after me not knowing what to do for the best for my wife, and pestering the surgery for help. I eventually verbally told him to get out of the house and I would take her to hospital myself. After that we changed Doctors as soon as possible. Still not very nice to re-call. Barry.

bluebrummie

Proud Brummie!
Yes it is. He upset a lot of people and my Dad couldn't stand him. We only lived up the road by Shard End British Legion from his surgery. Often my Dad had words with him. I can remember him being in the paper once for negligence!

terryb18

Gone but not forgotten R.I.P.
I don't think there was an All Saints primary shool. was there? At least I never heard of one. Did the doctor you are on about have a surgery in Shard End Crescent?

Terry

nickcc101

master brummie
My wife used the surgery on Chester road and recalls how the Doctor used to tell the patients in the waiting room to get back to work, similar to the Doctor we used in Great Barr who was the Post Office Doctor and never believed in sick notes, how times have changed.

tayrich

proper brummie kid
Talking of doctors in Shard End, mine was an old Polish chap called Dr Nitzke, who had his surgery in an old house in School Lane, near the junction with the Chester Road. The waiting room was the front room, only small. As soon os one patient left the back consulting room, the next one went in. No appointments then! That room was dark with a very old gas fire. When you sat down he used to peer at you over his desk with his small glasses. A man of few words. I had a soft spot for him as he delivered me when I was born at home. After he retired he lived in Timberley Lane.