• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Downloading Useful Information - Permission

badpenny

Deleted Upon Request
I am interested in downloading a number of individual posts from various threads
in support of my family history project.

a) Am i allowed to do this?

b) How do i go about it?

thank you..

Thanks for your question Badpenny. The admin team will come back soon with a reply. Viv.

Thanks for raising this with us Badpenny.

These are our basic tips:

- using material for personal use is fine

- if material is used in any further publication, it's recommended you contact the original poster, agree with them to use the material and make reference to the original poster. On BHF we encourage all members to exercise the common courtesy of referring to contributors where possible.

- if the original poster has taken out a copyright on his/her work (not very common), first clear it with the originator before using, and if used, make reference to the original material and author.

Hope this helps.

Regarding copying material, what device are you using ? I can advise for iPad, others will I'm sure be able to help for other devices. Just let us know.

Viv.

To copy if you're using Windows, drag the mouse cursor from the top to the bottom of what you want to copy (which will highlight it), right click and select Copy. Then paste into word, notepad or whatever word processor you have.

img290.jpg img291.jpg hi folks i have always said that history should be shared around but as said its always nice to know we are appreciated and always nice to know we on birmingham history forum have helped others with their research..only today i was given this lovely little book produced by st barnabas church erdington highlighting some fallen ww1 heroes buried at their church..one of those heroes was albert edward sharp..this name will ring a bell to those who followed the amazing journey the forum had 3 years ago in having a plaque that was found over 40 years ago re dedicated at the national memorial arburitum... little photo of the plaque in the write up and a thanks to birmingham history forum...for those of you who would like to read about our journey the link is below...start from post 1 and have a few cups of tea on the go as its quite a long thread:rolleyes:

lyn

https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/these-heroes-were-nearly-forgotton.43365/

That's lovely Lyn. And wasn't it a journey for the Forum ! I can see some of our work there in the write up. Very rewarding isn't it ? Thanks for updating us. Viv.

PS a perfect example of acknowledging the work of others. Thank you St Barnabas.

great team effort viv and lots of interest shown by members very rewarding indeed...

lyn

Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated.

The information posts consisting mainly of pictures and map extracts is purely for private use and not for publication.

I know you can 'save as' a complete thread but in most cases i only would want the odd post in reply to a question.

It is that i am unable to understand how to isolate and download.

thank you..

Hello again, still trying to copy posts from the forum into my Windows picture and documents folders but without success.

I can highlight the text but seem unable to copy successfully to a destination folder.

I feel sure it must be an easy process so what am i doing wrong, any ideas please?

Highlight the text

Hold down the CTRL key and press C key
this copies the text into your computer's temporary memory and it will stay there until you replace it with something else or until you switch off your computer.

Open your Wordprocessor or Notepad etc

Place your pointer (cursor) where you want the text to appear

Hold down the CTRL key and press V key
the contents of your computers temporary memory area will appear on screen.

This is how I do it ...:)
I hold the CTRL key down with my left little finger and then press the C or V keys with my left forefinger ... one handed ... it's the quickest method I know ... :)

Last edited:
Having done a few tests it appears that the method described by me and others doesn't quite work if the post contains an image. Copy and paste the text first, then right click on the image and 'save image as' to a convenient place (I use desktop). Then right click on the file (no need to open it), copy and then paste into your document. For some reason pasting directly from post to document doesn't work.

Concerning images I don't 'save' them, I drag them out of the forum (slightly minimised on screen) to my desktop or into a folder.
Screenshot (91).jpg
Then I can drag the pic off my desktop into the word processor.
If I want to use an existing forum pic in one of my posts, I simply drag it out of the existing post into my new post. No saving and uploading.

Yes, got this part ok, its the text bit i am struggling with..
40580-3fd1d4f53f635c67c974c5635e0e1019.jpg

Hi badpenny,
With the text just highlight it and hold CTRL and Press C key to put it in your computer memory. Then position pointer where you want the text and use CTRL and V. I've just used this method to put your text here

With copy and pasting items is worth practicing in your own computer copying out of one document into another until it becomes second nature. I notice in post#15 you have probably dragged or copied an image from post#14 but you have copied the 'thumbnail' image rather that the full size pic. If there is a thumbnail pic you need to click on it to get the full size pic then copy or drag that over. I occasionally forget and do the same but you can use the forum edit to alter things as I do.

Try highlighting all the text in my post here then use CTRL and C to put it in your computer's memory and then start a new post and with CTRL and V paste my text in, or paste it into a wordprocessor. The copied text stays in your computer's memory until you put something else in.
oldmohawk

Last edited:
How I copied and pasted your text
Copying from your post#15
Screenshot (94).jpg
Pasting into a new post ... or paste it in your word processor.
Screenshot (93).jpg

Last edited:
Ok let's see if this works

With the text just highlight it and hold CTRL and Press C key to put it in your computer memory. Then position pointer where you want the text and use CTRL and V. I've just used this method to put your text here

With copy and pasting items is worth practicing in your own computer copying out of one document into another until it becomes second nature. I notice in post#15 you have probably dragged or copied an image from post#14 but you have copied the 'thumbnail' image rather that the full size pic. If there is a thumbnail pic you need to click on it to get the full size pic then copy or drag that over. I occasionally forget and do the same but you can use the forum edit to alter things as I do.

Try highlighting all the text in my post here then use CTRL and C to put it in your computer's memory and then start a new post and with CTRL and V paste my text in. The copied text stays in your computer's memory until you put something else in.
oldmohawk

Try highlighting all the text in my post here then use CTRL and C to put it in your computer's memory and then start a new post and with CTRL and V paste my text in. The copied text stays in your computer's memory until you put something else in.
oldmohawk

Yes, that works fine,i will as you say practice on my own and see where that gets me.

I don't want to monopolise folks time just because i can't get my head around it, but thanks again much appreciated.

You've got it, just needs practice, and don't worry about taking time with posting queries, everyone on this forum will take time to help if they can...:)

Last edited:
Could anybody inform me if its OK to download photos from this forum into my personal photo files, and then share them with some interested friends of mine via E mail.
I'm particularly referring to photos of old Elmdon Airport.
Also I have a aviation friend of mine that's writing a book on history of Aviation in Warwickshire,whats the situation if he used any of the photos in his book.
I don't want to upset anybody, please advise.
By the way, there mainly photos posted by Stitcher and old Mohawk. Is it OK guys. Whats your views.
Love the photos, thanks anyway.

Nothing wrong with downloading them and sharing them, but I think your friend would need the permission of the original photographer to put them in a book.

Thanks for your comments mikejee. Might be difficult finding out the original photographer when the photos are taken around 1939 to 1960. I expect even stitcher and oldMohawk who posted them wouldn't know.
Do you guys.

I agree, but the original photographer will hold the copyright, or possibly a commercial organization like a newspaper. Unless he was a professional photographer he would likely be quite happy for your fdrien tom use them in his book, but any commercial publisher for it would want confirmation of source and permission for photographs to be used. That , at least is what I understand.

Thanks for your comments mikejee. Might be difficult finding out the original photographer when the photos are taken around 1939 to 1960. I expect even stitcher and oldMohawk who posted them wouldn't know.
Do you guys.
I think you will find that probably about 80% of images on forums such as this are copied from various sources. Owners of images are generally tolerant with copies appearing on forums but would object to them appearing in published books without permissions and acknowlegements. I have a large number of my own photos on here and expect them to be copied and shown elsewhere on the internet as some already have been.
With regard to my interest in aviation I only ever took one photo of an aircraft which was a DC8 at Anchorage, Alaska, 1973 not relevant for the Elmdon thread !
You can get some idea of the source of photos by using Google reverse image search, I have just tried it on one or two images in the Elmdon thread with variable results which usually lead to other sites which have copied them. Try it with the pic in post#156 ... :)

I have just looked at the details of photograph copyright on Google, what I read surprised me the rules seemed to have changed considerably. I suggest that someone with a legal bent reads it and advises us all. I published a book with old postcards in and am working on another and need to know how legal it is.

Bob

Back