• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Downloading Family Tree

barrie

master brummie
Need some help please. Have a family tree on Ancestry, and would like to save it to "documents" on my computer so that I can then upload it onto the Family History Site. Don't have a clue how to do it, and there isn't an "export" facility that I can see on Ancestry. Thank you for any help.

Barrie.

Barrie I would try the Help on Ancestry they are usually very good in replying. I have tried to save census sheets to my PC but it wouldnt let me do it, so if they do give you an answer, can you let me know as well. Thanks Carol

Carol
I had some trouble saving censuses for a while, This was on windows 7. I found, for soem reason it depended on the browser I used for accessing it. Have had no trouble with windows 8 (though it is a crap system otherwise, designed for facebook twitter users etc who can't type)

Barrie I would try the Help on Ancestry they are usually very good in replying. I have tried to save census sheets to my PC but it wouldnt let me do it, so if they do give you an answer, can you let me know as well. Thanks Carol

E-Mailed them last week Carol. Still waiting for a reply, so will e-mail them again and see what happens.

Barrie.

Not sure about downloading your Family Tree, but I find it fine saving census sheets from Ancestry to my laptop. Just click on the Red 'Save' button on the top right hand corner of the census you want to save. A bar comes up at the bottom saying do you want to open or save. Choose 'Save as' and download it. I'm using Vista.

Judy

Barrie, there is an article in this weeks Computeractive magazine that may or may not tell you what to do. I have scanned a bit of it for you to look at. If you click the picture a couple of times it will enlarge.

Terry

Attachments

• Scan0001 (Large).jpg
    Scan0001 (Large).jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 29
Judy
I agree that that is how it shou;ld work, but a couple of years ago, after soem upgrade or other I think, it suddenly started "saving "the file with soem pecu;iar suffix that I could not identify( can't remember what it was now), and was not recognised when I tried to look at the saved file.. Ancestry ignored my query, but I found that another browser worked perfectly OK. As I said previously, have had no trouble with windows 8 in this respect.
Mike

Click on tree pages. From the drop down menu click on tree settings. There's an export button on the right hand side.

Sometimes these upgrades mess everything up Mike. Big nuisance. My husband's computer has Windows 7 and he has no trouble downloading censuses the same way as I do.

Judy

hunters road 5.jpeghi barrie i know this is not the right thread for this but i didnt want you to miss this photo...it was posted on the forum the other week..think it was topsy turvey who posted it...anyhow i know its not the side of road in hunters road that you lived on but it does show a couple of the old houses next to the carnegie before they were demolished...we are getting closer barrie...

all the best

lyn

View attachment 89045hi barrie i know this is not the right thread for this but i didnt want you to miss this photo...it was posted on the forum the other week..think it was topsy turvey who posted it...anyhow i know its not the side of road in hunters road that you lived on but it does show a couple of the old houses next to the carnegie before they were demolished...we are getting closer barrie...

all the best

lyn

Thank you Lyn.

I have tried to download as per Terryb18 info, I can get to download family tree as download gedcom file and saved it to my desktop - (there is no export file shown it goes straight to download your gedcom file). But there is no screen coming up with 'left hand column' to click on toolbar. What am I doing wrong. Please help. Thanks Carol

I'm not sure if I understand but are you using the Gramps program mentioned in the article?

Hi Carol. To download a family tree from Ancestry;

1. open your family tree
2. click on "tree pages" at top of tree
3. from the drop-down box select "manage tree pages"

This will show you a "download your GEDCOM file" button. Clicking on this will send your tree to "Downloads" on your computer.

Hark at me sounding like I know what I'm doing. lol.

Barrie.

Carol - am I right in thinking you have downloaded the GEDCOM file and now want to show it as a tree? When I updated my PC from XP to W7 my previous tree program (which I bought!) wouldn't work so I tried a few free ones. I wasn't impressed with Gramps or Legacy and ended up using My Heritage Family Tree Builder. It's quite good the main downside being that you can't print an 'All-in-One' tree but unless you want to do that it's fine. When installed (and this applies to any family tree prog) you need to IMPORT the GEDCOM file. It also keeps wanting to 'publish' your tree but this can be denied. John

Back