• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Downed German aircraft

Ann Steiner

master brummie
Is there a website or list anywhere that chronicles German aircraft downed during the war in the Birmingham area -- locations of where they crashed?

Ann

I haven't seen anything myself, and i have looked also. The only lead i would have is via the "bomb map" held in the central library, where downed enemy aircraft were marked on as a little plane icon.
If anybody knows of somewhere with this info, I'd be interested too

Take a look at www.couplandbell.com for details of all WW2 crash sites in the West Midlands, including German aircraft. I think this site is being serviced at the moment, so be patient.

I have a feeling that most enemy aircraft downed in the UK during WW2 were moved and scrapped very quickly, without the actual site being recorded in any way. At least that seems to apply to enemy aircraft that came down in accessible areas.

Big Gee

Big Gee -- Just found your reply to my post from January. I checked the link that you kindly supplied. While I don't think any of the listed German aircraft were the one I was looking for, it's a fascinating site and one I have bookmarked. Thanks much!

Best,
Ann

I always was interested in the BMMO parking lot at Digbeth. During the daytime many relics could be seen parked there.
At some time during WW2, most likely in the later part, I recall seeing a German aircraft which had presumably been shot down and had crashed onto the roof of buildings adjacent to the entrance road to the Digbeth Garage.

** I just spotted another thread about Digbeth and downed aircraft but that seems to focus on an RAF aircraft. I am sure the one I saw was a German aircraft.

Hi Ann,

A few years ago I used to subscribe to a newsletter called "Aviation Archeologist" published by these people:-

https://www.aviationarchaeology.org.uk/baacnews.htm

Whilst much of it relates to excavations of sites of downed aircraft, several knowledgeable people who maintained lists of such incidents were mentioned and could be contacted. I think the information is available, but you may not find it online. It's certainly well worth contacting them for suggestions. I've found them very helpful in the past.

EDIT: All now seems to be part of the same site supported by Coupland Bell!

Maurice :cool:

I have no idea of "downed" German aircraft, but I do remember, early in the war, seeing a captured Messerschmitt 109 fighter plane on display outside the Hall of Memory in Broad Street. Large crowds saw it and it was displayed, I believe, to raise money for War Bonds. I remember that the plane looked in pretty good condition. Later during the war they also displayed a Lancaster bomber at the same venue.

Was it 1977 that hot summer with Ladybirds i did all my courting around Earlswood in my motorbike days i recall they found a crashed german plane?

Was it 1977 that hot summer with Ladybirds i did all my courting around Earlswood in my motorbike days i recall they found a crashed german plane?
Not sure which post you are responding to Don? Do you have any further information about a downed German plane and where was this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure which post you are responding to Don? Do you have any further information about a downed German plane and where was this?

No Bernard i know it was the early 70s the water level on the lakes had fallen no aircraft found in water but what was found was police matter i was working on a building site at Drakes Cross the lorry drivers visting that site told use that a German plane had been found at Earlswood they had bits of the plane in there cabs which i now have but they are mixed up with other German plane bits i dug up at a ex Luftwaffe airfield i was based at i have just spoke to my good lady we still have them buried in one of the outhouses may be the story was hearsay these drivers were charaters sorry i can not help you more .

Thanks Don - I have checked to see if my memory was correct about the incident and you have the year bang on. A body was found but as it was nothing to do with the Luftwaffe I will forward it to you by Private Message.

I have no idea of "downed" German aircraft, but I do remember, early in the war, seeing a captured Messerschmitt 109 fighter plane on display outside the Hall of Memory in Broad Street. Large crowds saw it and it was displayed, I believe, to raise money for War Bonds. I remember that the plane looked in pretty good condition. Later during the war they also displayed a Lancaster bomber at the same venue.

norfolk brummie, you're like a breath of fresh air !
I've been talking for ages about seeing a display outside the Hall of Memory, when I was small but no-one knew what I was talking about.
The display I saw included, a Spitfire, a V1 missile and a Bofors AA gun demonstration.
From what you describe, there must've been a number of displays at that location during the war.

Thanks Don - I have checked to see if my memory was correct about the incident and you have the year bang on. A body was found but as it was nothing to do with the Luftwaffe I will forward it to you by Private Message.

Funnily enough Bernard, (I hope I can get this in OK), I recently found a clipping from one of the Brum newspapers, I do't know what year it's from but it's of interest anyway.

"Rumbush Lane, Earlswood"

In May 1941 a German bomber was shot down in a field near Rumbush Lane.
Three of its crew died instantly while a fourth survived his injuries.
It's thought the Heinkel III plane was the only one to fall on Solihull during WW2.
It had been trying to reach the Austin factory at Longbridge but is thought to have been stopped by shots from a Home Guard Lewis gun.
(I'll do the second part later if I may).

You are correct. There were other displays at the Hall of Memory to raise funds for the war, including a Spitfire. I was around 8 years of age at the time, and remember the events.

Back