• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Dowding & Mills

rogermel

knowlegable brummie
View attachment 85462 Photograph of my dad, Hugh Melanaphy, who was a driver with Dowding and Mills, Camp Hill, Bordesley B12, taken c1951.

Attachments

• Dad D&M JOG 810 resized.jpg
    Dad D&M JOG 810 resized.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Your dad and mine would surely have known each other. I do recall a Bert Taylor who drove with dad. His nickname was "Spud" and I got a slap from dad for calling him Uncle Spud.

I worked there from 1968 - 1980. Great place to work and have many happy memories from my time there!

they sure did a good job we took many a motor there

landing_page_dowding_and_mills.jpg

D&M.jpg
Dowding & Mills was bought by Sulzer in 2010. It has been since renamed to Sulzer Electro Mechanical Services (UK) Limited

My dad was a driver there for decades - Raymond Dalton. I think his radio call sign was Dowding Dog (I went out in the lorry with him once, if I remember correctly).

Back