• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Double Zero Club

Sorry to hear about don we go back a bit see if he tries to hide when you mention my name. He he
Hi John. Thanks for the message. I'll be seeing my dad on thursday and will tell him you've been in touch, I'm sure it will raise a smile. My mom sends her regards and couldn't believe you and Dougal got married. I'll buy you both some sweets anytime you want lol. Cheers, Jon.

Tell don if he can remember I was the one arrested at his shop he he
and thanks for reminding me about marrying dougle 50 bloody years 5 boys Even I don’t believe it Give your dad all the best from me and doug Ps still on bikes. Cheers John

hi it’s on Nuneaton road cv10 0qu it’s on Wednesdays it’s a farm type thing been going on for years. Cheers Windsor 111

hi it’s on Nuneaton road cv10 0qu it’s on Wednesdays it’s a farm type thing been going on for years. Cheers Windsor 111
John, could you wear a red rose or similar in your lapel next time you go to Hoar park please. I bought some gear off you about fifty plus years ago and haven't seen you since. Interesting that you go to Hoar park as I do. Bob: Double Zero, Bamboo cafe.

Thanks for your speedy reply Windsor. Regretably I only visited the Double Zero once, when I was taken there in 1964 on the back of my mates ( Derek Prentice ) Triumph 21. I had no bike then as the old man did not like them and thought they were dangerous. Can't think why. I lost touch with Derek and joined the Royal Marines to get away from home. That's when I bought my first bike, a Ducati 175, shortly followed by a Matchless 350 and then a 1952 Triumph Speed Twin. Had many bikes since then but now have a Harley 1200 Sportster. I will try to get over to Hoar Park this coming summer.

John, could you wear a red rose or similar in your lapel next time you go to Hoar park please. I bought some gear off you about fifty plus years ago and haven't seen you since. Interesting that you go to Hoar park as I do. Bob: Double Zero, Bamboo cafe.
Thanks for your speedy reply Windsor. Regretably I only visited the Double Zero once, when I was taken there in 1964 on the back of my mates ( Derek Prentice ) Triumph 21. I had no bike then as the old man did not like them and thought they were dangerous. Can't think why. I lost touch with Derek and joined the Royal Marines to get away from home. That's when I bought my first bike, a Ducati 175, shortly followed by a Matchless 350 and then a 1952 Triumph Speed Twin. Had many bikes since then but now have a Harley 1200 Sportster. I will try to get over to Hoar Park this coming summer.
You don’t call Harley a bike. oDEAR -/// I’m still on bikes not the old ones of course we all go on about the good old bikes but forget there was 21roller bearings in a triumph bonnie clutch that just fell off on the way to black pool and you could only find half of them exhaust fell off most days Rocker covers fell off etc etc etc you spent hours getting a couple of miles mph then some 250 rice burner leaves you standing .but it was great fun. At the time catch you later Windsor

Hope you ain’t complaining bob. Guarantee runs out after 49 years.not been to park for a few years had another woopsi one of many over the years I’m afraid.but got another one just to make wife miserable.you will remember me mate I limp a lot but not on bike.let me know when your going down and I will sort out the club’s original membership books and have a game (xxxxx I remember him) catch you later.

You don’t call Harley a bike. oDEAR -/// I’m still on bikes not the old ones of course we all go on about the good old bikes but forget there was 21roller bearings in a triumph bonnie clutch that just fell off on the way to black pool and you could only find half of them exhaust fell off most days Rocker covers fell off etc etc etc you spent hours getting a couple of miles mph then some 250 rice burner leaves you standing .but it was great fun. At the time catch you later Windsor
Well I've had my share of rice burners and took one to 120 mph on that nice straight road leading to Kingsbury mill, but I slowed down a lot approaching retirement; realising I had never had a serious mishap; and maybe my luck might run out. So the Harley suits me fine... i have owned it 21 years. Clean belt drive, no oil drips, low centre of gravity and a lovely rumble. Biggest drawback is the faster you go, the worse the mirrors vibrate so you can't see who is following you. If I had the room to house it I would buy a Steve McQueen replica Triumph, or a Velocette Thruxton. I love all sorts of bikes, I'd even like a Monkey bike.

Well I've had my share of rice burners and took one to 120 mph on that nice straight road leading to Kingsbury mill, but I slowed down a lot approaching retirement; realising I had never had a serious mishap; and maybe my luck might run out. So the Harley suits me fine... i have owned it 21 years. Clean belt drive, no oil drips, low centre of gravity and a lovely rumble. Biggest drawback is the faster you go, the worse the mirrors vibrate so you can't see who is following you. If I had the room to house it I would buy a Steve McQueen replica Triumph, or a Velocette Thruxton. I love all sorts of bikes, I'd even like a Monkey bike.
Back in the 70,s a guy I knew had a 250 Japanese bike that he sold and bought a monkey bike and rode it every where for a year
Then one day turned up on a Z1 Kawasaki 900 when they first came out.

Hope you ain’t complaining bob. Guarantee runs out after 49 years.not been to park for a few years had another woopsi one of many over the years I’m afraid.but got another one just to make wife miserable.you will remember me mate I limp a lot but not on bike.let me know when your going down and I will sort out the club’s original membership books and have a game (xxxxx I remember him) catch you later.
I'm there every Wednesday. Good to hear you are still around.

Old member of d z Pete heyes died few weeks ago will be missed r I p if god rides a triumph he will have a good mate

Is that the same Pete Hayes who was in the Birmingham Cycletramps motorcycle club around 1980, they mixed it with the Sixtynine club who eventually became Outlaws years later. I'm dredging old names ?

pete died years ago mate he did go tramps and his brother nidge went away down south with another mob Nigel nose pliers if your reading this mate

pete died years ago mate he did go tramps and his brother nidge went away down south with another mob Nigel nose pliers if your reading this mate
Thought it was same guy I hadn't heard the name in 30 years though takes me back to the Bogarts, Speedwell days and Mean Street Dealers at the Haven ta for the update.

I remember attending dz with my hubby, then my boyfriend around early 70's possibly 1970.

I sure went on the right day. It was the opening page of Dave's book. The day the guys from Wolverhampton came down along with a gun or two. Yet we all lived to tell the story, even if it was slightly different from the book. ;D

There were so many characters there. Mad Mick and his misses Zeb. Fanny B who i think is no longer with us and loads more. Yet i guess they are all on pension now or very near. Bloody hell i was only a teenager in the 70's so many of the guys and girls there will be mid 50's to late 60's now. :-*

Times change don't they...Franny B died, I don't know what happened to Big Tom, Fats Black, Ringo and all the others from the Digbeth Old Crown...gravitated to Bogarts and from there to mc clubs...and yes those that were around in that time are now pensioners but some still ride bikes...great days...

Hi there long time since I’ve been on here saw you threads about Hoar Park, I’ll try to get there when we are allowed out again just to see if I recognise any old faces.
One of the Bonneville boys (Ernie) it would be good to see some old faces. Unfortunately sold my bikes now so on 4 wheels now.

Times change don't they...Franny B died, I don't know what happened to Big Tom, Fats Black, Ringo and all the others from the Digbeth Old Crown...gravitated to Bogarts and from there to mc clubs...and yes those that were around in that time are now pensioners but some still ride bikes...great days...
Just as an aside the Wolvo became Hells Angels England...still have the Penn clubhouse I think..

Thought it was same guy I hadn't heard the name in 30 years though takes me back to the Bogarts, Speedwell days and Mean Street Dealers at the Haven ta for the update.
Think the Cycle Tramps became Outlaws mc didnt they, so did 69mc as I remember Frenchie, Fluff and others from those way back days, funny how people still around 40 years on...

I worked with a chap 1969-71 who was a member of the DZ club He rode a BSA 250 Goldstar we used to go to Kings Heath park during the dinner hour there and back and a quick point in The Gough Arms Upper Gough St , his name Keith Brown . Great bloke , I remember at the lights by the Albany hotel , there was a bloke on a Honda 175 twin cylinder , Keith said to me lets see how good this bloke is ? He should leave me standing if he's good , lights went green I think the Honda is still at the lights ha ha

Hi. My dad used to go to Double Zero back in the late sixties, although I don't think he was a member. He used to manage H & L Motors, a triumph dealer on Dudley Rd. When I was little I used to go to work with him as my Mom also worked at H & L as the bookkeeper/accounts. I remember Johnny Windsor as he was always in there and his girlfriend Dougal used to take me to buy sweets and fish and chips on a saturday. Other names I remember are Dave Whitehouse, Fordy, Big Phil, Mike Hailwood, Pete Heyes and a guy called MIck or Mike who was a sidecar racer.
I believe you mean mad mick he had a coffin as his side car :)

I dont remember Johnny Windsor, did you mean Jimmy Cowboy ?, yes Pete Heyes, he went with the Cycletramps but is dead now, I remember Fats Black, Big Tom, Ringo, Franny B. Lots of them all past now I think, some still around with Outlaws and HAMC, what happened to Dave Collyer the old vicar ?.

I visited DZ a number of times with Paul Foster who crashed his BSA and injured his leg badly. Whilst recovering he built a new Gold Wing, but while riding it the first or second time he was hit by a car and died.
Shortly afterwards, I left the UK and lived in Germany for many years. I currently live in Thailand and until two years ago, I still drove a bike. I was hit by a car, my skull was fractured in four places and I'm now blind in one eye, so motor-cycling is no longer an option.
I still think back to the great nights at DZ. Does anyone remember Paul, or his good friend who was killed around the same time? You won't remember me -- I was nicknamed 'Fluffy' at the time because of my cutlets...

Back