• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Double Zero Club

I dont remember Johnny Windsor, did you mean Jimmy Cowboy ?, yes Pete Heyes, he went with the Cycletramps but is dead now, I remember Fats Black, Big Tom, Ringo, Franny B. Lots of them all past now I think, some still around with Outlaws and HAMC, what happened to Dave Collyer the old vicar ?.
Hi I was second chairman lived in club many many years ( in the morgue) at one point until I was sent on my holidays.good looking tall slim that was 55 years ago. Cheers windsor 111

Last edited by a moderator:
dated 1968...i wonder if anyone recongnises any faces..nice shot of st basils church and also the rev david collyer talking..click on learn more and the video will play..i went a few times to the club but it would have been a couple of years after the video was taken..lyn

Emerging from the 2018 Flatpack film festival there's a podcast made then looking back at Double Zero. Interviews with bikers and a few words from David Collyer towards the end. I believe he's still alive. Met him once in the early 70s when he came to our scout group to talk about DZ. The scoutmaster's son had a big British bike. He was great at putting people at their ease. A fascinating thread.

Last edited:
Emerging from the 2018 Flat Pack film festival there's a podcast made then looking back at Double Zero. Interviews with bikers and a few words from David Collyer towards the end. I believe he's still alive. Met him once in the early 70s when he came to our scout group to talk about DZ. The scoutmaster's son had a big British bike. He was great at putting people at their ease. A fascinating thread.
'Flatpack' came to Mutt Motorcycles in Digbeth to interview and photoshoot some of the members of the DZ.

Secondly I'd like to add the Double Zero book will soon be available in digital format, (should be very cheap) and I'll let you know how and where it is available
i have been loaned an original copy of this book and look forward to reading it

lyn

any photos of the old DZ members would make a great addition to this thread as not everyone is on facebook...thanks

lyn

What happened to the Double Zero club?
What happened?, it continued under the reverend dave after the Wolverhampton hells angels turned up one night but St basil's fell into disrepute and disrepair and motorcycle clubs in Birmingham moved away from coffee bars into pubs and changed names to ones I know like the cycletramps, the sixtynine the outlaws and others though some from those days still ride motorcycles today in snd around town. I had two triumph bonnevilles 650 and 750 and numerous Japanese bikes though my last was a harley-Davidson XLH in 1978. Fond memories from time gone by?. Does anyone remember Bogarts New St.

What happened?, it continued under the reverend dave after the Wolverhampton hells angels turned up one night but St basil's fell into disrepute and disrepair and motorcycle clubs in Birmingham moved away from coffee bars into pubs and changed names to ones I know like the cycletramps, the sixtynine the outlaws and others though some from those days still ride motorcycles today in snd around town. I had two triumph bonnevilles 650 and 750 and numerous Japanese bikes though my last was a harley-Davidson XLH in 1978. Fond memories from time gone by?. Does anyone remember Bogarts New St.
In the US early 60’s with the onslaught of Honda, Kawasaki etc and a few British bikes, the nickname for a Harley was “Hardlygo Davidson” they were big and cumbersome unlike the other bikes. Harley now has almost a cult following with owners of all ages, their clothing line is incredible and a money maker for the dealers. The big difference in the US is that the bike for the most part the owners second form of transportation not the primary one.

In the US early 60’s with the onslaught of Honda, Kawasaki etc and a few British bikes, the nickname for a Harley was “Hardlygo Davidson” they were big and cumbersome unlike the other bikes. Harley now has almost a cult following with owners of all ages, their clothing line is incredible and a money maker for the dealers. The big difference in the US is that the bike for the most part the owners second form of transportation not the primary one.
True but I'm not sure what that has to do with what happened to the DZ club in Brum in 1968. Yes many people in the UK now own HD motorcycles I wish I had kept mine it cost 3k back in 1978 from Fred Warr London and worth more in 2024. I thought the history shown here says a lot about attitudes towards rockers back then and the DZ tried to combat negative views.

True but I'm not sure what that has to do with what happened to the DZ club in Brum in 1968. Yes many people in the UK now own HD motorcycles I wish I had kept mine it cost 3k back in 1978 from Fred Warr London and worth more in 2024. I thought the history shown here says a lot about attitudes towards rockers back then and the DZ tried to combat negative views.
Just picking up on your comment on your 1978 Harley Davidson.

Back