• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Double yolked eggs.

G G Jean

Brummy Wench.
The last time I remember cracking a load of double yolked eggs was when I was having my twins. This morning when I was doing Petes bacon and egg sandwiches [a ritual every day] I cracked the first egg and it was double yoked and the second was the same. We buy our eggs from the farm on Barr Beacon and these eggs were not particularly large. Do any of you have many double yolkers?. Bye. Jean.

Jean doen this neck of the woods we also get our eggs from a local farm £2.50 a doz large half of them double yolked must be the Somerset air

But these were only medium eggs. We sometime buy the thin shelled or poor shelled eggs [extra large Egg fried rice etc] but rarely do they have two yoks. These were quite small compared with the others. Jean.

Nas i to don't like the white of an eggggg it is called albumen its supposed to be the best part...proteins, by the way there is something about extra large eggggggs in America about its nutrition value

We buy Farm eggs about 4 miles away from a Garden centre near Felixstowe supplied by a local Farm and we get about 3 Double Yolks in every Dozen.

Jean a Question, when you cooked Petes Breakfast this morning and found 2 Double Yolked eggs, the last time it was Twins now what could happen,???

I wait with baited breath

I agree with you Nas nothing better than dipping toast in a egg but something else i do which is bad for ya loads of salt

Oh Nas bad for the blood pressure too much salt. I love eggs and the only thing Pete cooks is an omellete for me. They are done to perfection. Alf up till four years ago I may have worried but not any more. Mind you the one regret in my life is not having more children. The time never seemed to be right. Always found an excuse like starting school moving house etc. Still I have four lovely grand children. Jean. Hows about some egg recipe's?. Jean.

hi jean. as you know we dont live far from each other and i have eggs delivered from a farm(dont know which one) anyway i have a dozen. the other week i cracked the 1st one and was surprised to find it double yolked. as i was doing scramled i needed to crack 4. each one a double. turns out the whole 12 were all doulble yolked. how unusual. wales.

Not still on this egg thing , you know what they say ONCE YOU HAVE SEEN ONE YOU HAVE SEEN TWO.

Thats a yolk

We have free range laying chickens turkeys etc and our pick of brown eggs, white eggs, the hardest part is desiding weather we want chicken,duck,geese pheasant or turkey eggs... duck and geese eggs have richer flavor with geese eggs being so large their great for making pound cake!!!my favorite ...and you ownly need one for breakfast, turkey is a large egg but is milder ...grant you our hens have been known to lay a few eggs so large that you pitty the poor bird that layed them but their not double yolkers ...with pheasant you'd need at least 4 eggs to make a decent meal but they are good tasting and i agree nothing better than dipping ones toast in egg mmmm, now you've done it I HUNGER!annie

What a choice Annie. The eggs you have described sound delicious. I can remember my Mother buying Duck Eggs way back when and remembering
how they had a bluish tinge and were much larger than regular hens eggs.

Is it just me but the eggs these days seem much smaller overall. Those graded Extra Large are about the size of a medium egg most of the time. The supermarket ones have pale yolks and not much flavour.
I buy my eggs from an area in the Fraser Valley east of Vancouver if I am out that way They are Extra Large with bright yellow yolks and very often you can have a succession of double yolkers in a 20 flat pack. I can also buy the same brand in the city from health food stores and Chinese greengrocers. The pullets eggs are so small these days also.

JennyAnne I love duck eggs too. Bought them up until a month ago from the Harbour Inn until someone stole the ducks. Not a feather to be seen. Jean.

Hi Jennyann

I agree the quality and size of the store eggs is pitiful i refuse to buy them, one day my husband and i were shopping and i open one box each of small medium large and so called xlarge eggs and i have to say they were all the same size small... What the stores will sell to consumers is just something else... my chicken eggs put the store eggs to shame!!! both in taste and size... and the PRICE !!! are they kidding??? $2.35 for small !! my pheasants lay bigger eggs!!! but nothing beats free range [and i mean free range ]not pen up in large dirt floor barns by the hundreds were they never see really sunlight.. my girls run the 6acre property ..and are aloud be what the good lord intended them to be HENS!! I also think if the animal is in a enviroment that makes it happy and healthy it makes for a better quality food..My husband and i grow our own food veggies fruits meat eggs we hoping to get a female goat for milk...we haven't figure out how to make tp paper yet!! it is cheap to actually grow food your self them to buy , your not paying shipping, export costs, middleman cost and all those other cost they ding you with etc...
annie

Hi Jean

Are your friends at harbour inn going to buy any more ducks???.. maybe geese would a good option as they are large and would be hard to carry off... they advertise very loudly that stangers are around [great alarms]...I can also tell you from experiance that no stranger wants to be on the bad end of a goose!!
annie

I have just purchased my eggs from the farm and have also discovered that the less smooth the shell the more porous so they do not keep as long...Cat

The hardest egg shell ive ever tryed to break for breakfast belong to some Guinea hens i owned.. i have you tell you you need a hammer to break these eggs open, i drop one accidently one day it hit the floor and roll not a scratch on it>.

Back