• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Double Breakthrough

MWS

master brummie
Had two breakthroughs in the last couple of weeks - one I think through the release of new records so little effort on my own part and the other through sheer doggedness.

The first was my 4 x great grandmother who, despite having a maiden name, date and place of birth for, I had been unable to track down for more than 10 years. Then the other day when again searching for variations of her surname a possible sibling popped up. Further searching found her, other siblings and then the parents. And whilst the birth place (Balsall Common) didn't match her listed birthplace (Wroxall) exactly it was close and there were a number of fairly distinctive names that make me fairly confident that I have the right person.

The second was my great great grandmother who had originally been one of my most tricky ancestors to track down. She was illegitimate, her own mother was also possibly illegitimate, she listed a fictitious father on her marriage certificate, her age varied, her birthplace varied, twice she appeared on the census under her husband's (different) name before they were married and she was only with her mother on one census and that was in the household of her stepfather under the name of her mother's first husband who had died years before she'd been born.

I'd searched for her a number of times with no luck, her mother's names was Mary Davis and the only name she was listed under before marriage was King, neither uncommon. I don't know why I decided to look last night, possibly inspired by my other success, but I started searching for her brother who was also illegitimate. He only appeared on one census so was unsure about his dob or birthplace but just started searching for his first name (Joseph) in Wolverhampton on freebmd and then checking each for mmn on GRO. Slow and time consuming but ultimately successful as I eventually found a Joseph Henry Smith mmn Cornwell. Cornwell was Mary Davis' mother's name.

Armed with this new information I was able to find my great great grandmother's birth registration which tied in with her dob from 1939 and confirm it by finding another brother. And even though it has led to another mystery to solve and Smith being the worst name to look for, I was really pleased to find her and at least I can get her birth certificate for clues.

sospiri

Ex-pat Brummie
Well done MWS - your diligence has paid off. Any surname is a pain when there are lots of them - let's just hope that the ones you want stayed fairly close to the area.

Maurice :)