• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Double Act Howell & Lilly

A

Ann B

This is a photograph that I have scanned for a cousin for her family history. Her uncle was Harry G. Howell and he was half of the double act 'Howell & Lilly'. They appeared, in the 30's and 40's, in theatres around the region including The Birmingham Hippodrome. It was one of those photos 'that I was pleased to scan'. I hope someone else enjoys seeing it.

Ann

Last edited by a moderator:
Ann what a super photo I bet your cousin was thrilled. I have Howells and Lilly's in my tree but I don't think there is any connection.

AnnB I can't find anything about them:( anymore details before I lose my reputation:D

Wendy,
Thank you. My cousin does have some really lovely old photos. She said that when I've scanned 'the current lot' she'll send me some more. But I love seeing them, so I don't mind at all. My cousin is a Howell. Her Howells (in case you can see a connection with yours) are from Blockley Worcs., before that Shropshire, Wolverhampton, Smethwick and Wales. But funnily enough, the Harry Howell on the photo, is more likely to be related to Cadeau (Graham Webb). Harry Howell's mother was an Eastbury and the Eastburys were in Blockley from at least the 1600's, as were Graham's Webbs.

Alf,

All I have, on the back of the photo, is that Howell and Lilly were a double act that did the clubs and played the Hippodrome. I'll phone my cousin tonight and see if she can give me a bit more information.

Ann

Thanks Ann :) I really would like to find something for the Forum.

Alf,

I've phoned my cousin, but she's out. I've left a message. I spoke to another relative, and he thinks Harry Howell (left on the photo) did some dialect recordings that are kept at Leeds University. Sounds interesting. So, I'll let you know what my cousin says, when she returns my call.

Ann

Alf,

Don't think we'll get to hear the recordings. They were done for a 'time capsule' and won't be available for 500 years! He was asked to write a poem, speaking to 'the people of the future' and he also recorded that. So unless someone really does discover time travel, I 'ain't going to hear it.
My cousin told me that his son is still alive, so I've asked if she will ring him for some more information on the comedy act Howell and Lilly.

All the best Ann

Alf,

My cousin has spoken to the son of Harry Howell, and he said they played The Birmingham and Aston and Dudley Hippodromes. They also performed at society weddings and pubs and clubs. Harry's son has a 'box' in the loft with photos etc. and maybe programmes. He's going to get it all down and send some to my cousin. It would be lovely if there are some programmes.

Ann

Some more photographs of the comedy double act Howell & Lilley (correct spelling now).

Peter Howell (of Meriden) son of Harry Howell, sent the photos of Howell & Lilley to my cousin in Torquay, and she sent them on to me. My cousin told him about the forum, and he was going to get his son to get all the old theatre posters out of his loft for us. On Sunday, on B.B.C. W.M., I listened as they reported about a man that was resussitated in the city centre. It was Peter Howell, 69, he had gone to the car park, he was on his way to his son's silver wedding celebrations. He died later at the hospital. Behind me is a wealth of history that I have to scan for him. That includes details of his grandfather fighting with Kitchener and the press reports about his love for the Wolves.
Ann

Hello there, I cannot believe my luck falling upon this website, my name is Daniel Joseph Howell and I am the Grandson of the late Peter Howell. I also remember my great grandad who is mentioned in this thread also, those pictures of Howell and Liley are amazing! Im sure those pictures you mention are still in my nans loft. If anybody has any further information regarding the Howell family tree that would be amazing. I'm 23 and no longer live in Birmingham, made the move to Leicester for a job around a year ago but I shall mention to my father about this amazing find and see if I can arrange to look through the archives my grandad kept and perhaps upload some new material onto this site.

Thanks again for uploading those pictures, they have really made my day!

Hello Daniel,

Well! Firstly welcome to the forum. And so glad you found your way here! I did go to your grandad's funeral. We had been hoping to meet up with Peter at The Bull Meriden, but it was not to be. I have been doing the Howell family tree, so if you would like to I.M. me your email address, I will gladly add you to Ancestry, so that you can view the tree.

All the best
Ann

Hi, I'm Nigel, Harry Howell's eldest Grandson, and father of Daniel who found out about this forum and hence sent me details.
Ann, I met you last August at Dad's funeral. Doris was on about someone keeping the family tree up to date - didn't realise it was you !.
Love the pictures of "Howell & Lilley" - remember seeing them a long while back. I must check Mom's loft to see if Dad has anything else of interest in this vein. Keep in touch ! :)

Hi Nigel,

A very warm welcome to the forum. I am so glad that Daniel found this site and showed it to you. If you can find anything else on Howell & Lilley that would be great. Daniel has my email address, so if you would like me to add you to Ancestry to see the tree, just drop me an email.
I expect you have seen this photo. Taken in 1910, it shows Harry Howell aged three (front right) with his father William Howell and his brothers and sisters, at William's hoop and cask business in Blockley. A long way from the greasepaint!

Ann

You never know what you will find through this forum. I was looking on the 'Gun Sites' thread, and followed a link that Chris M had posted for The Home Guard. I was hoping to find information about my husband's father. I didn't, but I did find this Programme for The 39th. Warwickshire Batt. Home Guard Grand Concert, entitled 'Off Parade', in aid of the Battalion welfare fund.
The concert took place at the Alexandra Theatre on Sunday December 7th. 1941 at 3 p.m. And Volunteers 'Howell and Lilley' were on the bill.

Quote from Eric Pain, who served throughout the life of the Home Guard, 'As the audience were rolling in the aisles at the antics of Volunteers Howell and Lilley, far away in the Pacific Ocean the first of hundreds of aircrew were strapping themselves into their aircraft and firing up their engines as dawn started to break.' He was, of course, referring to the attack on the U.S. Pacific Fleet at Pearl Harbour.

Ann

The website page Ann was referring to can be seen here.

It makes brief mention of Howell and Lilley and also includes group images of members of the 39th Battalion in aid of whose funds the concert was arranged. One assumes that the images, showing as they do individual units in the Battalion, do not include either of these gentlemen because Ann would otherwise have mentioned it. Might be worth closer examination though.

The assumption is that because they were appearing in a concert organised by the Battalion, either or both were members of it. It would need information about their addresses at that time to be sure of it beyond reasonable doubt. What is certain is that, because they are referred to as Volunteer, they were both Home Guard members. Later on, from early 1942, their rank would be "Private".

Chris

Thanks to Ann and Chris for identifying Howell & Lilley being mentioned on this December 1941 Alex Theatre event. As I've said earlier, Harry George Howell was my Grandfather ("Pop" we called him) and he certainly was in the Home Guard. My Dad was only 2 or 3 at the time. I would agree that niether Howell nor Lilley appear to be on the photos on the site referred to - but the programme images are fascinatiing, and not just because of the reference to Howell & Lilley. I also notice that 2 other people are mentioned whom I met and recall. Firstly, Thelma White, who by an amazing coincidence lived at the bottom end of Hartledon Road, Harborne, a few doors down from where my wife lived with her parents - before we married in 1983. I met Thelma in 1974 at the 40th wedding anniversary of Nan and "Pop" at the Masonic Hall, Stechford (now derelict or pulled down) - and was introduced to her as someone who played the theatres with Pop.
And finally, the billing refers to Billy Lewis as Accompanist. Again, I met him in the early 1970's as my brother Macolm has natural musical talent / keyboard / piano, and so Pop was trying to encourage him to have lessons off Billy Lewis - who he had known since the performing days of Howell & Lilley. So, whilst incidental to anyone else, to me it's remarkable that names of people I met through Pop are also "coming to life" again via this forum and the excellent postings. Thanks again. Nigel.

Hi Nigel,

Doris phoned me this evening and was so pleased when I told her about the programme for this concert. I was about to email Daniel, when she phoned. I think it is wonderful the way information comes together on this forum. As I said, I was looking for information on my husband's dad, who was in the home guard, and at that time living in Ollerton Rd. Harry Howell also lived in Ollerton Rd.! But I can't remember when. So it maybe that they were both in the same Home Guard unit. Wonderful programme, and especially as you remember others who appeared on the same bill.
Doris told me tonight that Harry's dad, William Howell, was interviewed by Richard Dimbleby for the programme 'Down Your Way'.
Funnily enough, myself and my husband, as a duo, did a concert for charity at The Masonic Hall Stechford.

All the very best
Ann

I've taken the liberty of filching one or two facts out of this thread and using them to supplement the information on the Stechford HG page. I hope this is OK with everyone. (Link as previously).

Ann, I should very much like also to add a thumbnail of the picture you posted originally. Would that be OK? And I suppose an image of Harry Howell in HG uniform doesn't exist anywhere, does it? (One wonders if they performed on 7th December 1941 in uniform too - quite likely, I should have thought).

I have been delving (unsuccessfuly) into memories of 1940s pantomimes at the Theatre Royal and the Alex and wondering whether I ever saw them perform - perhaps as the Ugly Sisters in Cinderella!

Chris

Chris,

That is a great idea linking the two. There are four photos of 'Howell & Lilley' on this thread. Please put any of them onto the Home Guard site. I think Nigel, Harry's grandson, is going to look for more photos etc, so perhaps he will find one of Harry Howell in uniform, or some posters or programmes.

Ann

A photograph of 'Howell & Lilley' with their painist Gordon Lilley.
Left to right Harry Howell, Gordon Lilley and Harry Lilley.

Ann

It appears that the images posted in this thread have been lost as a result of a Forum software upgrade.

If any of the original contributors of them still visit the Forum, would it be possible to re-post please?

Chris

Last edited:
With reference to this thread I recently came across this postcard advertising Howell and Lilley from 1937. The card has been written by Harry Howell to his father.

Attachments

• Howell-and-Lilley-1.jpg
    Howell-and-Lilley-1.jpg
    391.9 KB · Views: 11
  • Howell-and-Lilley-2.jpg
    Howell-and-Lilley-2.jpg
    324.4 KB · Views: 14
Back