• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Dorridge

changinman1

master brummie
I know i have asked before but new people may have joined since my last post , I am looking for pictures of Poplar Road Dorridge or any other roads in Dorridge . Thanks in advance.

I found a site today of photos taken around Birmingham and the Midlands. It has one photo of Dorridge in the 1980s https://www.pbase.com/beppuu/image/50034327
The rest of the photos are well worth a look but I should imagine the photographer is well known here. Keith Berry, he can certainly handle a camera.

Hi Changinman1,

I have just replied to your earlier posting. See link here
Was amused to see Arkrite's photo of the parade of shops in Dorridge. I remember, as a child, watching the butcher in that shop hang a pig's carcass by its hind legs from either side of the doorway, and then take a cleaver and cut it straight down the middle into two halves.

Angela

Angela,

thanks for replying , I love hearing about everyones stories about where I live, it makes sense in what you say about Poplar Road being a cul-de sac , as the now bottom of the road (nearest to the shops) is just old victorian properties and further up the road is where the later properties start . My house was built in 1957 so that ties up with what you say about it being a cul de sac in the 50,s obviously prior 1957. Have you got any piccies of the area at all ...knowle or dorridge ??

Bernie...nice one ....didnt know about the wind back facility...im going to try that deffo...cheers mate.....and also I will try the knowle society for piccies.

Sorry Changinman, I don't have any photos I'm afraid.
I remember there some black-&-white postcards were produced of Dorridge at the time, and we were thrilled to see on one of them, showing the parade of shops immediately after the railway bridge, that my mother's car was parked there. We had a sense of "fame at last"!

Angela

Back