• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Dorridge

The reason you can’t find anything after the 1911 census is because my grandfather leased The Vine at the start of WW2 so he could move his entire family out of Birmingham and left when the lease ran out in the early 1970s! We are looking to see if we have any photos of it but my mum remembers that parts of the building were rented to various local businesses - Midland Bank, a local sculptor, cattlemen as there was a cattle yard at the back and Restalls (spellings prob wrong) who made dyes, my grandfather also ran an antique shop from it too! Hope this helps!
Hi Karen did you manage tp find any pics please ...tia

I used to live on Newbold Close in Bentley Heath. My best friend Peter and I did a lot of train spotting in Dorridge and at the Bentley Heath crossing. I used to take ballroom dancing lessons at the Bentley Heath Community Hall. Anyone know what ever happened to them?
Bit late finding this but my sister and I took dancing lessons at the community hall early 60s.Our house still there Bentley farm Close No 2.

My mum has seen the photo of Vine House and said that used to be the main building of what had been a coaching inn as it had stables, a hay loft and a number of outbuildings, there were also two greenhouses which housed vines and during WW2 one of the vines produced sweeter grapes and they used to barter them for things they needed! We’re still looking for a photo but can’t find one at present!
Hi did you ever have any luck

Back