• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Dorridge

Changingman - If you look at Googel Earht for Dorridge you can wind back time (clcik on the clock icon at top left) and look at how Poplar Road was in 1945. Not great resolution but not bad.

hello back in the 1950s 60 when we had sunshine and hot weather.me and dad went fishing. to lapworth. i would walk along the canal towpath to dorridge for a bottle of pop.from a small shop.happy times

I'm wondering if this thread is still alive? Having lived at 15 Poplar Road (don't look now they pulled it down in 1970's and born here in 1952, Last year I severed my links with the old place by selling off my Mothers house further up the road. I do have picyures of war time Poplar Road, mainly family etc and I can put some of you right about Dorridge itself as it doesn't appear to have had a life before 1980!

EDIT
the 1950s my sister and I used to have to cycle to Dorridge from Packwood every morning to take the bus or train to school in Solihull, and the same journey back every afternoon (having visited "The Candy Shop" first of course, for something to top up our sugar levels). We left our bikes in a little yard round behind the chemist's shop (very spooky to go round there in the dark on winter afternoons!). In those days, there was not the "square" of shops to the right of the then chemist's that there is now; I think it was just a shrubbery.
Was Poplar Road a cul-de-sac in the early 1950s? I remember Cock & Thexton's grocer's shop on the corner, where my mother bought bacon from Mr Wicketts. And I remember when they went "self-service", and what a shock that was!
If I remember aright, the parade of shops between the railway bridge and the present square contained an ironmonger's, a surgery, a dry cleaners, Mrs Pooler's drapery shop (where we ladies had to buy STs), Miss Boucher's hairdressers', and the chemist - where we loved to buy those little tins of Horlicks tablets.
My mother's car was in Dorridge so often, that it even was visible, parked on Station Road, on a black-and-white postcard - so I should be interested to see anybody's old views of the village.

Angela

Last edited by a moderator:
poplar-one.jpg

I believe that many people who are relative new comers to Dorridge think that Poplar Road has always been fully residential. This picture, taken probably by my Uncle is of a street party at the end of World War II. Please note the trees at the top left. There was always a pool of water and willow trees at this point. The urban myth being that a horse and cart were lost in the mire. All I can tell you is we moved from 15 Poplar Road to one of the newer houses built in 1968. This property had part ownership of the pool. We never found any evidence.

Before the building of the sheltered housing there was as someone quite rightly wrote a vehicle marshaling yard. The company that ran the yard was MAT Transport. But before that there was a coal and cattle yard. It must have been quite important as the place had its own Pannier Tank (steam engine) operating. This yard linked into cattle market that was at the rear of the houses on the right, the coal yard and two gas holders which were situated on the small hill out of Dorridge on station road.

My family probably moved into 15 Poplar Road in the middle to late thirties coming from Henley in Arden. My Mother used to recall how scared she was as the family huddled in a small shelter at the rear of the property whilst the German Planes knocked seven bells out of Coventry.

15 Poplar Road was one of two detached properties at the old end of the road although the house was not that glamorous with no indoor bathroom and an outside lavatory and coal shed. The front door opened onto a drive which led to a vehicle repair centre. Philip A Carlyle's. We knew when the boss was about because his Jag had the registration PAC 1 so he always had the name Pacy. On the other side was a small builders yard Thompson's.

Love the photos, Applet!
So you had a builder and decorator next door - or was that your father's business?
I remember the coal yard and gasometers, though not the cattle market.
Philip A Carlyle's rings a bell too.
My mother was living with her parents in Bentley Heath, not far from Dorridge, during the war and used to tell me how they could see the light of Coventry burning on that fateful night. Must have been terrifying.

Angela

At the time of the pictures my Father wasn't on the scene. That side of the family are from Aston, Hertfordshire. My Grandfather moved to Tapster House, Tapster Valley near Henly in Arden from Knebworth Hall where he was head gardener. He later went to work at Lapworth House and ended his carreer at Lovelace hill, Widney Manor, the big property on the right as you drive up the hill towards Solihull.

Angela your Mother would know my Mother I'm sure or if not my Auntie Sheila Russell, Newlands Road, you may even know me if you can remember the gasometers.

There was so little traffic in those days leaving me out in the road for a photo shoot wasn't deemed to be a hazard. You can see the houses at the top of the old road. we moved to a newer hous just about where that telegraph post is in 1968.

Attachments

• scan0007.jpg
    scan0007.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 33
Oh, I remember the Tapster Valley. I used to ride round there. It was such a pretty spot.
Don't recall either Tapster House or Lapworth House - though I do remember Lovelace Hill. I had a friend whose family lived opposite those grand gates. sometimes I used to cycle all the way to Solihull to school - and Boy, was that hill a killer!! Nice on the way home though, to get up a bit of speed to take the next upward one towards Bentley Heath!

Sadly, my mother died in the 1960s so I can't ask her if she knew yours. I think I must be 10 years older than you, so we probably trod the same pavements even if we didn't meet...

Angela

Cock and Thextons, I remember old Bill Cock and Ben Thexton, My mother worked there after giving up her job to look after her Mother and have me. I remember Giles the hardware,by the signal box near the bridge, the cleaners and Mrs Pooler next to the chemist, (Mr Dyehouse spl;). Opposite the chemist used to be the local GP's practice (Doc Allan and George Thorpe) and above them the dentist Mr Needham. I also spent many wasted hours in The Candy Shop, Mrs Brown (daughter's name Hillary) and bless Miss Nelly Boucher! and at the top next to the Forest Wrensons another grocers.
We as a family used to go on Holiday with the Wickets.
And you're right not Tapster house but Tapster Mill

Ah well, our mothers would definitely have known one another in C&Th then! Fancy you knowing the Wickets so well.
Wrensons - I had forgotten that. Weren't they a bit lower down, in a double-fronted shop, between the Candy Shop and the post office (Tallises)?
I remember the butcher's, one or two up from the sweetshop, and one day seeing the butcher hang up a beef carcasss by the back legs on hooks either side of the doorway and proceed to split it in half with a meat chopper.

Yeah! That was my mother's car, the first on the left, outside the ironmonger's!! I learnt to drive in it. A Ford "Squire" with three gears, and a tendency for the starter-motor to jam.
Thanks so much for the link. I have just sent e-cards of the pic from the Francis Frith site to my sister and brother!

map.JPG

I'm so glad I made someones day! Here's a map quite clearly showing that until Poplar Road was built through to Mill lane it would have been a no through road.

Here's a load of Dorridge images from my files. Lived at 118 Poplar Road from birth in 1960 through to 1970. My parents lived there from earlier when the house was first built. The "back garden" shots are looking behind Poplar Road to Elmdon Close. dorridge1904.jpgdorridge1950s.jpgdorridgepc.jpgdorridge-poplarroad1911.jpgdorridgestation.jpg

Wonderful pix, Paul33! I had forgotten Gillooly's shop. What did they sell? Was it shoes?
The second picture in the first batch must have been taken from opposite Cock and Thexton's, and shows the shrubbery still there next to the chemists, between which we had to wheel our bikes to get to the yard at the back before we went to school.

Mr Gillooly was a chirpodist, he moved his practise into Manor Road, actually opposite where the Bouchers lived and very near the church. I was in the same class as Janet Gillooly at Dorridge infants and Junior school. And Jimmy Knibb was the demon barber.

Thanks Paul for this collection.

Omg this is amazing totally, if I had not have asked for any of this I would never have seen them, it's so special for me as I live on the road now. I had never seen one of the road where it used to end before the newer houses were built , fantastic , and the story about the air raid shelter , superb. Please keep them coming if there are any more. Does anyone know who built the houses that were built in the 1950,s????

garge.jpg

That's another picture of number 17. The place was a builders yard as I remember it Thompson's, later National Electrics took the place over and now I believe it's occupied by a design company. To the left of where my Uncle is standing is our old house and due to the lack of traffic I used to bang a tennis ball against the wall without fear of being run down.

vine in.JPG

I can't verify this picture, it's taken as you turn left out of Poplar Road and start to head towards Knowle. Less than 50 yards on the left is this building. Dorridge has always been known for having a couple of drinking places. The Railway Inn (also known as The Tavern) and The Forest Hotel. The Forest was my local until they messed about with it and closed the public bar. The picture above is of a smaller coaching type pub called The Vine (so I'm led to believe)

Please forgive the wait but I've loads on my mind at the moment. I'll be back!

Applet....where was the house that was knocked down then ??? I walk past this house every day to get home .....as for the pubs ....there is a building on station road called VINE HOUSE, so im presuming that this used t obe the pub ? , when did it cease to be a pub ?

15.jpg

We moved from 15 to 68 Polar Road back in 1968. The house was raised around then. Here we have my Mother showing her cycling skills in the drive to the right of 15. Access to small businesses all up the drive. I do remember the small business next to our house was a motor cycle repair man. His name was Lol Statham. I know he lived or later moved to a property in Slater Road, Bentley Heath. and I knew his son. You'll see the great iron gates then leading to the flats that were built some time ago. When we moved out the sheds had long gone and Archers had the major business, car repairs. As for Vine House, if you have google earth take a road trip and check out the doors in the little court yard. They look like stable doors to me. I'm still trying to vindicate myself here by checking out census records for the turn of the century. No joy so far after 4 hours of digging.

wow ....im trying to work out where that is , is the house to the left on the pic where you uncle was standing outside no 17 ??and is that drive way where you mom is on her bike the drive to the now NEW FLATS....

According to the census of 1881 there was a Vine Inn on the site mentioned. All I can tell you is the landlord came from Shropshire! Due to privacy stuff. That took almost 6 hours! If you have access to these records, which I do, Poplar Road is sited as part of Knowle. I'm going back to 1871 if possible.
It appears that Poplar Road was deemed to be in the Parish of Packwood in 1881 whilst Station Road, temple road etc were in Knowle.
Just for good measure The Vine was there in 1871 and get this according to census 1861 there was a pub on Knowlewood Road (The Royal Oak). That is news to me.

Poplar Road. In 1911 where most houses were 5 roomed dwellings there was still one house with nine rooms and servants!

the last time i went into the vilage of dorridge was in the late sixtys and i went to an elderly couple to do a painting job
and the occupants was very nice a well kept house the gentleman whom name i have forgotten was a piano tuner for his living
and he was virtualy blind it was amazing guy to do piano tuning with very little sight he used to feel is way around the house ;
i think its amazing how these people whom are sadly in that postion get around i recall going to the harborne sgool for residentals kids and teenagers whom was blind and beleive me even thou they could not see they used to run around some of them closely built walls of coridors for them to feel and get around
one or two was virtuly running around at a speed i said to my mate its amazazing how they run around
on one of the corridors there was a little elcove where they sat and listened to the telly sounds and not seeing the picture it was incredable to see
best wishes Astonian;

Back