• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Dorridge - Poplar Road

Ian FOFB

Brummie yes ! Novice no !
The 'then' pictures are taken from old postcards, the 'now' pictures taken from Google Streetview.
The older of the pictures is thought to date from the 1910's.

Ian.

Wouldnt mind a pound for every time I've walked up there before I was married. I lived in Hanbury Rd and I think the shop shown was Drinkwaters who sold flowers or veg. On the other corner was Cock & Thexton who were grocers. You wrote your order in a book and they delivered it by van. Bit different to nowadays!

Wouldnt mind a pound for every time I've walked up there before I was married. I lived in Hanbury Rd and I think the shop shown was Drinkwaters who sold flowers or veg. On the other corner was Cock & Thexton who were grocers. You wrote your order in a book and they delivered it by van. Bit different to nowadays!

Kathy....when was this that you lived in Hanbury rd ?, would you have any pictures of the local area when you lived there ?;)

Hi Cathy was it not 'Cox and Thexton'? They also had a large (for its day) store on Knowle High Street.

Hi there Changinman1

I lived in Hanbury Rd from August 1958 til October 1968 when I got married. My parents had the house from new, built by good builders Youell and Parker long gone by now I expect. Our next door neighbour was Dick Spooner who played cricket for Warwickshire (wicket keeper I think). Any photos I have are likely just to be of Mom and Dads house but I will have a trawl through and put any of general interest on here if I come across any.

Hi Bernie, I'm not 100% certain, it is 50 years back I suppose. Maybe the 'little grey cells' are not what they were (as Poirot would say.)

Hi Cathy was it not 'Cox and Thexton'? They also had a large (for its day) store on Knowle High Street.

it was definately Cock & Thexton, I lived in Poplar road between 1963 & 68, Hockley Heath from 1968 to 1983 & Tilehouse Green Lane from 1983.
It was Vand & Meek or Vand & Meeks on Knowle High Street (more or less opposite St Johns Close) but not Cock & Thexton's

For some reason I seem to think it was Band and Meeks in Knowle. Drove down Knowle High Street this week and it does seem a bit altered. My friends Mum and Dad used to run the Post Office and also a taxi business. Seem to remember there was an antique shop nearby as well.

It was Band & Meeks - sorry misheard my other half, she has since corrected me, I think Jean will remember your friends Dads name shortly.
We run Four Ashes Garage at Stratford now, it used to be where the Porsche Centre is now when we started there.
The lad from Drinkwaters was my friend from school.
We lived at 53 Polar road, my Dad & the next door neighbour saved the boy on the corner of Hanbury road & Poplar road when the house caught fire, his mum went out & left him alone for the night, wouldn't be allowed now, not sure if it was then.
Does anyone remember Miss's Boucher's shop, Drapers, Station Aproach.

Band and Meeks where Lloyd's bank is now? Bought by the guy who ran Carly's then rebuilt and then got an offer he could not refuse. Name will come to me eventually. Antique shop was where the library now is and his wife ran the dress shop (Jo ?) opposite but could not afford to restore the building so council bought it. I bought some original horse brasses for my Brother to take back to Canada for his 'Bar'.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, to Band & Meeks,
The man was Pickering & he had the 1st personalised reg plate 'CURIO'on his car, his wife ran Jo Peters.

I remember seeing that CURIO number plate around a lot. The Post Office was run by the Martins and Jock Martin ran the taxis. He did the cars for our wedding. They moved on to run a hotel in Stratford.

Hi ...did u manage to get hold of any piccies of your mom and dads house ???...would be great to see it....cheers

so what house no caught fire and was it in the paper and was anyone hurt....what happened to the parents ??? , is the house still there ???, was it rebuilt.

Kathyp, I have googled Youell and Parker and cannot find any record of that name anywhere.......is that a definite correct name ?.

Hello. I'm new here. My mom used to live in Poplar Road, Dorridge as a child.
KathyP, you said
Cock & Thexton ...... were grocers
Cock and Thexton were Bakers in the 1940's and 1950's. My Dad worked for them after coming out of the army in 1946 until 1953. I believe Mr Thexton was no longer on the scene, and the Bakery was run by Mr Cock and his son Bill. I believe the family was originally from Lancaster.
My mom has some photgraphs of the VE street party, I'll post copies when I can.

Hi Kathy P , which no did your mom live at and have you got any pics of the house ir road or the area from all those years ago , if so I would love to see them cheers Karl

Re: Posts 6 and 17

Bit late I know but:

Company number:

Company Name: Youell And Parker Limited

Back