• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

DOREENS "H.P" OUTFITTERS

D

DAVE BRICK

A dilapidated shop on Rocky Lane, just up from Aston Cross was Doreens Outfitters.

Doreens ladies and gents clothes shop where you could have top quality clothes and pay weekly, money collected at your door.
Around 1980 I saw a part time job advertised for a money collector for Doreens and was interviewed by Mr Goldburg. He showed me around his shop, it had three rooms packed with gear. He then pointed to a shelf full with folders, "they are our customers" he said.

I got the job and got 10% of all the money I collected, I did'nt earn a fortune at Doreens but it was a welcome addition to my main building job which was going through a rough time.

Suits you Sir

:D i had the same sort of job when I was about 18 just before I was called up hard work for no money but it taught me a lot about life knocking those doors for cash

IT GOT A BIT NASTY

After I'd been in the job a few months Mr Goldberg took on a contract with a northern firm to collect debts from people who had moved out of their area to the Birmingham area. So just when they thought they had got away with it, I turned up on their doorstep to say "Now then Mr Smith can we have that £250.00 that you owe so & so"

I always made sure beforehand which was my quickest escape route. Thats if they turned nasty. Some of them paid up over a couple of weeks

Doreens

I remember the shop very well although I never bought anything from there. Someone told me years ago that she sold more "LEROSE" clothes than any other shop in Brum. Dave was Mr. Goldberg connected to the Goldbergs shop along Lichfield Road?

Mr Goldberg

I dont know Sylvia, whether Mr Goldberg was connected to any other shops. He was a very smart gentleman, as you would expect I suppose, running a clothes shop. He always had on a suit,collar and tie, usually pin striped.
He and his wife would go off to trade shows in their estate car and come back with quite a few samples in the back. One of his customers I used to call on was an ex lord mayor of Birmingham.

Mr Goldberg always said to me that he offered a good service, because if anyone had a special function to go to, or maybe an unexpected funeral to attend, they could come to his shop, get a complete outfit of the finest quality, and pay for it at a later date.

Back