• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

DOOR KNOCKER

Di.Poppitt

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
We had a similar game that we used to play in The Broadway, kick the milk bottles over and run like hell. :roll:

Door Knocking

We were so deprived (or was it depraved) My hubby used to take his little sister along to the door, knock the door and run. His little tot of a sister just stood there, and the people took her inside and gave her sweets and biscuits. Isn't it sad that we just couldn't afford this to happen now!
Lynda

:D When we lived in Dymock St we did the door knocking string bit and our friend who had also done the door knocking string bit when she lived in Summer Lane, worked out the only way to do it when we moved to the flats in Nechells was :idea:
Running along the 4th floor balcony of Wickham House knocking all the letter boxes and running up the stairs to the 5th floor to hide in Pauline's house so we wouldn't get caught.
We also push open any doors that were on a 'Ballcatch' :twisted:

I'm tellin on yer Oldtimer :D

Weren't we lucky to have been able to roam the streets and just play. I know we all got up to mischief, and finished up rolling about with laughter sometimes, but it was innocent fun. If we were ever told off by our 'elders and betters' we would never have dared answer them back; they would have told our parents for sure. I live in a village and children are seen in cars going and coming from school, they don't play out any more, moms are too scard to let them I guess. I have not seen a hopscotch drawn on a pavement, a whip and top or even a skipping rope for years. It does make me sad.

Back