• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Done it

Bob Davis

Bob Davis
Yesterday was the first day of my retirement. Beautiful day, hot, got sunburnt, my youngest son, his wife and my granddaughter, came to the garden for a socially distanced picnic, Saffron buns, jam and cream and champagne. After working continuously since I was 16, (68 years), I felt the time had come to call it a day, but now I wonder what on earth am I going to do, so tell me anybody got any good suggestions, my only hobbies are old postcard collecting and BHF. I am also currently having some mobility problems and for a week I do not have a car. Do not worry about Wednesdays, as an NVQ assessor and IQA, I have been asked to go in one day a week, thank goodness.. Seriously, i am glad, yes I will be doing one day a week for the company for a little while, and I hope to get two book featuring local post cards finished.
Bob

Yesterday was the first day of my retirement. Beautiful day, hot, got sunburnt, my youngest son, his wife and my granddaughter, came to the garden for a socially distanced picnic, Saffron buns, jam and cream and champagne. After working continuously since I was 16, (68 years), I felt the time had come to call it a day, but now I wonder what on earth am I going to do, so tell me anybody got any good suggestions, my only hobbies are old postcard collecting and BHF. I am also currently having some mobility problems and for a week I do not have a car. Do not worry about Wednesdays, as an NVQ assessor and IQA, I have been asked to go in one day a week, thank goodness.. Seriously, i am glad, yes I will be doing one day a week for the company for a little while, and I hope to get two book featuring local post cards finished.
Bob
Join your local U3A. They have various interest groups and social groups. Many are still running on Zoom currently. I have just joined a geneology group here. Take up something you have always wanted to do but never had time.You will soon be wondering how you found time to go to work! Tinpot

Congratulations Bob, 68 years is a long working life. Like you, I started work at 16, and retired. I can honestly say I have never had a dull day since.

My dad retired at 60 and I watched him waste his retirement, so was not going to let that happen to me.

I immediately got a dog and I go out every day with him, rain or shine. I know lots of people from dog walking. I built a proper workshop and equipped it with some decent machines. It’s been a big benefit in lockdown, and I have quite a face book following with my #Inthe workshop forays. I regularly cycle and walk and take a camera with me.

Finally, I am chairman of a registered historic building renovation charity. I am not paid for this role and love the job to bits. Volunteering can really keep purpose and meaning into your life and gives you a sense of value. Charities are always looking for skilled people like you for help and advice.

I was one of the fortunate people who did aright for himself. But it was not until I started doing aright for others have, I gained a sense of fulfilment, satisfaction, and enlightenment. Retirement has been the best years of my life.

I started work at 14 as Birthday fell 2nd September during the School holidays. Retired at 50 then found it was too early as missed workmates comradeship so returned to work, entirely different job, and fully retired at 58. My spare time was taken up looking after my Grandchildren, house repairs etc but due to failing health I’m now having to rely on my Wife for most everything. As long as you keep your health life will always find you something to do.

hi bob congratulations on your well earned retirement you have been given some great advise so far...myself i would give yourself a couple of weeks rest and draw up a plan of action...ie activities you are able to do and maybe join a couple of nearby clubs if you have any by you...i am quite sure you will get into the swing of it..oh and dont forget us will you :D :D

lyn

I started work at the age of 15yrs and 4months, retired/redundant at the young age of 62 and 9 months.

My retirement is taken up with the following:

Continue with my motorcycle riding.
Continue with motorcycle renovation.
Took up caravan touring, both at home and abroad ( France, Spain, Germany, Switzerland, Italy). I have been to these countries in my caravan many times in the last ten years.
Learnt the ukulele and joined a band.
Learnt the electric bass and joined a band.
Folk festivals are quite high on our list of things to do. We visit four each year.
In February I took up the violin. Another challenge I hope I can conquer before I die.
In the process of buying two fold up bikes to take on holiday with us.
Gardening.
House repairs/decoration.
Walking.
Multitrack music recording. I can recommend this if you are less mobile. The hours and days fly-by.
As the saying goes. 'Too much to do and too little time time to do it'

I also retired on March 5th , but only done 53 years , I hit 68 and I thought I have had enough now, I still finding it strange, I still wake up at 4 every morning, which I did everyday of the week when I was working, but now I just turn over and snooze for an hour, I am catching up with all the jobs around the house I have put off over the last twelve months, after that I don't know, lucky for me I live right on the Hednesford Hill and Cannock Chase, so when the weather is nice good long walks will be the order of the day, winter will be my family research and local history time I expect..

Bob
As well as much of the above I volunteer at GoNorthDevon which I understand is not a million miles from you. Only once a week now, but it adds structure to the week!

Bob
Congratulations Bob! It takes a while to get adjusted but after working that long you will find a balance. In the meantime, Happy Easter and have a wonderful and restful retirement. You deserve it!

Congratulations.

A group that has recently come to my notice is "Men in Sheds". I don't know much about it but my local group meets twice a week for two four hour sessions.

Starting point here:-
Ken, that is a very interesting link & great idea! Looks like it is growing by leaps and bounds!

Ken, that is a very interesting link & great idea! Looks like it is growing by leaps and bounds!

Richard. Thanks.

It seems to be a modern day version of "Sons of Rest" although, I never knew what that actually was.

And 'Men in Sheds' is not just for men. "Wimmin" :) are not excluded. Although, dependant upon any particular branch, they may be confined to different days. We need to 'give our ears a rest occasionally'.;)

Out of curiosity, I searched the 'Men in Sheds' for Birmingham and found the Facebook page for the Acocks Green group.

I know a lot of people don't like Facebook. I don't like Facebook but, it gives an illustration of what they do.

Looking at my 'local' group (who I have not yet contacted) there seems to be an interest in 'wood-turning' and they operate 'out of' a couple of containers. £2 per session with drinks included (so it seems).:grinning:

Other volunteer opportunities include, Heritage Railways, where I am involved, or Community groups that take in and repair furniture for future use locally.

There is absolutely no need to be 'bored' in Retirement. Regardless of mobility. Search locally and opportunities and interests CAN be found.

It just takes a little effort.:grinning:

Join your local U3A. They have various interest groups and social groups. Many are still running on Zoom currently. I have just joined a geneology group here. Take up something you have always wanted to do but never had time.You will soon be wondering how you found time to go to work! Tinpot
Thanks

I shall have been retired 26 years this June and have never been bored or short of things to do, looking after house and small garden, walking my dog 4 times a day, visiting my daughter and sisters but most of all watercolour painting and exhibiting all over the country, although I no longer exhibit because of my age (90) but I still enjoy painting and do the odd commission. I also visit Malta twice a year on holiday having lived/worked there for 18 months many years ago although the lockdown as put paid to that at the moment. Gave up motoring last year but don't miss it. I do not watch TV but spend time on my PC usually in the evening also am an avid reader. Eric

Last edited:
I shall have been retired 26 years this June and have never been bored or short of thing to, looking after house and small garden, walking my dog 4 times a day, visiting my daughter and sisters but most of all watercolour painting and exhibiting all over the country, although I no longer exhibit because of my age (90) but I still enjoy painting and do the odd commission. I also visit Malta twice a year on holiday having lived/worked there for 18 months many years ago although the lockdown as put paid to that at the moment. Gave up motoring last year but don't miss it. I do not watch TV but spend time on my PC usually in the evening also am an avid reader. Eric
eric you are a credit and not one to let the grass grow :)

lyn

Eric, a little off topic but I often see you both in the distance walking by the river.
I used to live in your road until 23 years ago and today went to look at my old house on Google streetview and there you are with Toby on one of your walks, on the corner of the grove that leads to the park, Google films stars, lol. Alberta

Yes Alberta, I have seen that view of Toby and me on Street view, our house is 6 doors down on the right. Toby as been gone a year last Feb so you must have seen me with Elsa by the river, you should have given us a shout. Eric

Last edited:
Back