• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Don Street, winson Green

Weoley

knowlegable brummie
Could somebody tell me where this street was? I have ancestors who lived there, and I believe it was somewhere close to the prison. I can't find any old maps, etc, with it on. Thanks.

Don St was between Bacchus Rd and Talbot St, near the swimming baths.;)

Don Street

Hi Weoley,

Here's Don St on an old street map. Just look down Lodge Road and you will find it wherd postied says.

cheers

pmc1947

Last edited:
Don Street

Sorry about the two typo's Weoley & Don St. I think I'm going blind or senile.

cheers,

pmc1947

Thanks pmc1947 I was trying to recall where it was the other day in a discussion about the Don (Winson Green Tavern?) pub which, I believe, was on the corner with Lodge Road. Although I pass it regularly I now cannot think what replaced that street. I'll have to go and take another look.

I lived in Don Street up to 1968 just before it was demolished.It was opposite the main gate into All Saints mental asylum on lodge road
I can remember MILLS,WHITEHOUSE,BRINDLEY,POWELL,HOPCROFT,GREEN,SMITH,GRADWELL,BENTLEY,
Could somebody tell me where this street was? I have ancestors who lived there, and I believe it was somewhere close to the prison. I can't find any old maps, etc, with it on. Thanks.

Hi .Linda
Don street was on lodge road. And it was about 150 yards passed Bacchus rd coming down from the Winson green road
And it was opersite the big wall that ran down lodge rd which was the hospital wall
On lodge road there was a slight bend on the pavement With A safety railings for the pedestrians of about twenty feet long I would have said
There was houses coming pas baccuss rd then there was a couple of shops then there was the pub a little pub on that little bend of the pavement
And another shop that's where the pub you are on about a couple of yards passing that pub was the start of don street
When you walk further down the hill of lodge red you would come to another pub called the Devonshire arms and just pass there
Was a church my au t Maud and my cousin lived there as they was the care taker for the church and commu city club for kids
Walk back up the hill towards Don street passing that Devonshire arms pub there was a row of houses my friend and his family lived there
They was the renolds family continue back up the hill you came to Don street
Then the pub then you reached Bacchus rd and down that road you came to the council health department
Where they had the public baths my friend postie said swimming baths but it was for public bathing and for the schools nurses base
Like nitty Dora came from and they took children there from depraved family's whom home had no bath rooms and kids whom had scabeies and info tiger
But getting back to lodge rd continue up towards Winston green red and hands worth new red which ran a cross
You would see the prison wall and facing that there was a load of prison officers houses a little estate
And just passing there house the first big blouse you. Came to was the prison governors house of Winston green prison

From the corner of .lodge red along the front of the prison there was another row of prison officers houses and there back garden
Used to be the prison wall along to the old gate house what you see now is a new gate house
Many years ago I had a friend.by the name of Jeff king whom lived down Don Street I would leave him at the top end
But if you entered Don Street from there it would have taken you all down. Behind Bacchus red
Incidently I missed out just before the prison officers houses the was a popular pub called the eagle pub on the lodge road
Hope now you can recall hour pub just yards from Don St opening as KT was a little side road between the houses
best wishes Astonian,,,,,

Thanks for your quick reply, Astonian. I am researching my family who lived in Birmingham and hope one day to explore those places myself.
Lynda

I'm related to the Heath family who lived at 3 Back 9 - my great grandfather John Heath was killed on the Somme, and my great grandmother Harriet remarried William Harold Whitehouse in 1917. Would very much like to hear any anecdotes about the family.

Simon

Hello, my granddad was william harold whitehouse,my dad philip whitehouse was born in 1920, i am stephen whitehouse born 1952

hi stevew
I cannot help you with your grand parents but i seem to recall your name along with micky hovercoft and the kings family and afew others from
its a good forty odd years or more since i walked down that road and seeing and speaking with the lads we played and went to school
overcroft and kingie ; i think it was jeff any way i would imagine we may still have some members left on this great forum of ours whom will
probaly recall them , best wishes Astonian;;;;

Would be lovely to hear from you Steve - my email address is simonharveyfieldingATyahoo.co.uk. Charles Frederick Heath b. 1911 was my granddad. My mum his eldest daughter Pam b 1938!
Hello, my granddad was william harold whitehouse,my dad philip whitehouse was born in 1920, i am stephen whitehouse born 1952

Hi, I've just found out that my great grandfather David Kavanagh and his wife Ellen used to live on Don St with their daughter Mary and her husband George Greer. Also I think my mom and her sisters and brother may have been born on this road but I'm not positive about that part. I'd love to hear from anyone who may have known them. I know my great gran passed in 1970 so I don't hold much hope. I think they were there in 1958 at least

hello gillette and welcome to the forum...we have a section for streets and neighbours so i will move this thread to that section for you as you may get more response...i do have 3 photos of don st for you...hope this helps...sorry not date for these but they look quite old

lyn

Winson Green Don St (2).JPGWinson Green Don St .jpgWinson Green Don St.JPG

Hi My nan mrs powell lived in Don Street 2 doors up from you, i went to school with your sister Lorraine, my names Sandra Your sisters i knew also Susan & Rita. Lorraine, lost contact with Lorraine some years ago, would like to get in touch with her again if poss.!!

hello gillette and welcome to the forum...we have a section for streets and neighbours so i will move this thread to that section for you as you may get more response...i do have 3 photos of don st for you...hope this helps...sorry not date for these but they look quite old

lyn

View attachment 139292View attachment 139293View attachment 139294
I was born on this street in 1968 I'm trying to find my father John Foster if any one has Information please contact me via private message thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
hello tracey and welcome..i am going to remove your email address from open forum as it could lead to it being hacked or you receiving emails from undesirables etc...if anyone can help tracy could you please contact her via our private message system...click on the envelope at the top of the page

lyn

Back